• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy stuff - has it started?

jredk04

Warren Scout
as many of you know, i wasn't sure if Jack was indeed a boy. well, thanks to some pretty 'questionable' photographs, it does look like he's staying as Jack.

he's now been with me 20days. and settling in well. I'm leaving his cage door open more often, letting him have access to 'his' room more and more and he seems generally chilled out.

However, he's started running round my legs in circles and his wee is smelling stronger. especially in the morning when i go in to sort out his littertray & food. I've looked on the internet for signs of boys reaching puberty and the check boxes are getting ticked (i'm dreading the spraying incidents!)

should i let him run round me like this? should i just let him express his 'hormonal personality' or should i take a step away and discourage it.

I'm a bit worried about him becoming aggressive. if he's neutered asap can i avoid this?

should i keep the time he's let 'free to roam' his room to a supervised minimum? (am thinking that he may start forgetting about his litter tray)

i took him to the vets just over a week ago and he couldn't find his testicles. if i book him in (with a different, more experienced vets) to get him neutered and they can't find them should i expect to be charged for their time?

any advice on what to expect and the best way to handle things would be really appreciated...

thanks
Julie

ps will ring the vets this morning to see what they say.

Hi claude started circling my legs when he was about 4 months old he used to make this buzzing noise when he did it! He then strated spraying on me every morning when i let him out lovely! Ihad to put up with this for 2 months as my vets wont castrated untill 6 month. (oh the bit i forgot to add was the humping when he had been circling for a bit he used to try and grab my foot if i was sitting in the floor he would grab my arm!)
Claude never became agressive,he still circles now but only when he is begging for food!

You need to be careful not to encourage the behaviour as although its hormonal now, it can turn into attention seeking behaviour as bluebunny says. Its kinda cute until you have a giant rabbit cicling your feet everytime he wants some attention or a snack. Soooo... don't reinforce the behaviour by giving him attention whilst he's doing it and what ever you do don't give him anything yummy ;)

Once he's neutered then his hormones should settle down again.

Its possible he will lose some of his litter training, this is generally in the form of scattering the hard poops over the room as territory marking. That and the spraying but he'll be able to get that quite a distance from his cage so cutting down his out time probably won't help ;)

He's young and energetic so if he doesn't get lots of exersise to wear him out he'll probably be even more trouble.

The vet should check his testicles before the op. If your not sure if they are retained or he's been neutered then I guess maybe the vet the could do an ultrasound??? A good vet will know better than me, let us know what they say.

Tamsin :D

I experience a similar problem. In the morning when i go to see toby in his cage he makes a humming sound and leaps from side to side in his cage. When I let him out he doesn’t circle my feet, but he jumps about (like his happy). However he doesn’t spray - but he use to years ago. Boys will be boys :)

not to encourage the behaviour
ok i'll see what i can do. thanks.

so cutting down his out time probably won't help
Great. as he's taken to napping just outside his cage...

postof261004jackasleep002.jpg

took this pic this morning (after i read your post and opened up his cage again :D )

buzzing noise
so far i've noticed a bit of a grunting noise as he 'buzzes' round my legs!

well, i called the vets and booked him in for Tuesday. (he's got his vhd innocculation on Friday (at a different vets) - they said that timing wise, this would be ok). i'm compiling a list of questions to ask the vet before then to make sure that they're ok to do it but when i chatted to the nurse on the phone she sounded ok. they've also said that there would be no cost if his testicles weren't 'ready for snipping'.

You could try getting him a bit of vet bed for his cage. Its soooo soft, he might just think your carpet is comfortable. He looks very cute wedged into the gap. Btw, the zonked out showing belly position (technical term there) indicates a relaxed bun that feels like he's at home and safe.

Tam

hmm

well don't i just feel plain mean now?

i was trying to save money and put an old pillow into his cage. he then 'burrowed' all the newspaper and put it on top of it....

cagebefore261004jack001.jpg

i've taken the newspaper away (will add some more for 'playtime' later) and removed the pillow as he never 'bonded' with it. Have opted for a quick fix, using an old throw...

cageafter261004jack036.jpg

looks a bit better in there now!

in the meantime, think i'd better go back on ebay and have a look at those vet beds/fleeces again...

I love that pic of Jack flat out!

I've got some pro fleece for Blueberry that came today, It's lovely stuff!

She is laying on that now with her wrapped hot water bottle instead of in her litter tray :roll: Before she had a soft towel over some newspaper.

I'd definatly recommend it for post op.

My buck buzzes around my feet sometimes.. ive always encouraged it, we have a little race up and down the hall and he chases my feet. He's done this for at least a year now but i never had any spraying! just circles.
Chris

well, since i added the red throw to his cage.... where have i caught him fast asleep this afternoon?????

yes, same spot!

might get some of that fleece stuff on ebay tonight. could put some inside his cage for 'bed time' and outside for day.

ps i'll keep you posted on the circles. see what happens!

Back