• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bananas

Hi,
All my bunnies have loved banana, I usually only give it as a treat, about a 1 inch chunk.
I think it's quite fattening for a bunny? I'm sure someone else on here will know!

i think i might try him on a piece tonight then. he gets bored of food items really quickly, dont know if this is related to his illness or not, his current faves are mint leaves, pak choi and kale. the little fella is costing me a fortune in vegetables and herbs! i dont mind though, he deserves it for giving me 9.5 years of happiness :)

Mine love it an woof it down! I hide it in places so they have to seek it out - after reading the other posts I think I may have given them too much as they had a whole bananna last night! Ooops!! :oops:
Will be on ration from now on! :wink:

Anna

a whole banana? hahaha. thats like me with with my Dubbs, he gets through a big bunch of parsley in a day. well he used to before he got ill, its about half a bunch now.

i'll try him on a TINY piece of banana tonight though.

I give them maybe an inch of it if I'm eating a banana. I don't buy it in for them. As Andi said, three of them just nose it about the floor like it's poison and the other three wolf it down.

All of buns buns love banana. They get it about once a week as a treat. I usually give them about a 1 inch thin slice each. Oddly all my buns hate apple.

Poorly buns on Baytril get banana everyday. I mush up a small bit of banana, stir the Baytril in and serve it on a spoon.
Talk about service!

This is not a criticism of anyone but surely bananas are not a natural part of the rabbits diet seeing as they are native to the Caribbean and parts of Africa.

This is not a criticism of anyone but surely bananas are not a natural part of the rabbits diet seeing as they are native to the Caribbean and parts of Africa.

good point luvabun, but on the same note, i'm not from india but i love a curry! yes, i know they aren't good for you either :-(

seriously though, if its wont poison my Dubbs or harm him in anyway and he will eat it, then he can have it. he hasn't got much longer in this world so i intend to spoil him a bit. i just picked up on the banana idea from posts here, it hadn't even crossed my mind over the 9.5 years!

luvabun said:

Well, nor are pellets really. How often do wild bunnies pop into their local pet shop for a bag of Burgess? But they're still a regular part of a lot of bunnies diet, and used appropriately and in the proper amounts they help keep your rabbit happy and healthy. In small quantities bananas aren't going to harm your bunny and they make for a nice treat which is far better for them than any of the store bought treats that are sold as being purposely designed for bunnies.

mines goes mad for banana if im eating one! I just give him a small chunk like the rest of you do. He doesnt eat more than that even if i give him more anyway.
im sure they wouldnt eat pineapples in the wild either but this is good for them. As long as things are given in moderation then i dont think it does them any harm.
Chris

[quote="Bertie"

Well, nor are pellets really. How often do wild bunnies pop into their local pet shop for a bag of Burgess? But they're still a regular part of a lot of bunnies diet, and used appropriately and in the proper amounts they help keep your rabbit happy and healthy. In small quantities bananas aren't going to harm your bunny and they make for a nice treat which is far better for them than any of the store bought treats that are sold as being purposely designed for bunnies.[/quote]

Hello Bertie, and I agree that giving rabbits fresh fruit as opposed to dried fruit or the processed pet treats is a better option.
However, I would just like to mention that bananas (like apple for example) ferment in the rabbits guts and the sugars can upset their tummies.
We have had severe rabbits with quite severe tummy problems, mainly we believe as a result of being given banana daily, and causing their guts either to over work (so the runs resulted) or sluggish gut(as gas formed in the gut).
Whilst Banana may be fine as an occasional treat in healthy rabbits, I would be cautious with any rabbits having a history of gut problems.
Wild bunnies do not eat bananas, and whilst us Humans may eat foods that is not part of our culture (like hot curries), it does not necessarily mean that this is the best way to treat your rabbit when there are other options.
I hope no one takes offence at this, it is not a criticism, but I felt I needed to say something on this issue before we all go BANANAS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry bad joke, bet you are all splitting your sides now!! or do you have thicker skins :p :lol: :lol: :lol: )
I think Dideen is right in that moderation of most things is the key :D

luvabun said:

Neither is Burgess Supa Excel or any pellets :D
Bananas don't contain anything poisonous for them and they love it. Likewise raisins, pineapple (which is great for breaking up intestinal obstructions), and dried apricot. It is a nice "natural" treat. I much prefer to use fruit as a treat than the shop bought ones that have so many e-numbers in.

Speaking of great treats!!!!!
I got my order from Bunnymail yesterday. All of mine went mad for the Hedgerow Herbs. They smell delicious and I use them as a nice treat over their pellets.

Holly Go-Lightly said:
luvabun said:
Speaking of great treats!!!!!
I got my order from Bunnymail yesterday. All of mine went mad for the Hedgerow Herbs. They smell delicious and I use them as a nice treat over their pellets.

The hedgerow herbs are lovely arent they, the bunnies seem even more keen for their pellets when I sprinkle the herbs over :D ...mind you, I usually spill them everywhere, as the rabbits invariably knock the packet out of my hands in their haste to get to the bowls :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back