• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam and rabbits

lindac

Warren Scout
Hi there, my first post!

Almost 3 years ago my now 9.5 year old rabbit Dubbs was diagnosed as having a cancer on his kidney (inoperable). Up until 3 weeks ago he was absolutely fine and the cancer didn't seem to be affecting him. However 3 weeks ago he took a turn for the worse and became very quiet and subdued and refused to leave his hutch. I took him to the vet for an MRI and an X-ray and she informed me that the cancer had grown considerably. She kept him over night and he perked up and she sent Dubbs home the next day, he was ok for a couple of days and then went quiet again. I took him back to the vet, prepared for the worst, but she suggested we tried Metacam.

Well, he has been on it for 2 weeks now and he seems like his old self (with the occassional quiet moment). I took him for a check up and the vet was really pleased at the change in him. She also said the cancer hadn't grown since his last visit. Obviously the cancer is there and is gradually causing his body to waste away, but he seems lively and strong and pain free for now. Has anyone else had a rabbit that has taken Metcam for a prolonged length of time? He seems to like the taste and there is no problem giving him the medicine at all...well mostly, he wasn't too keen to take it today. I would really like to hear of other peoples experiences with metacam and their rabbit. Thank you.

Hi there - how much metacam is Dubbs on per day?

A few months ago, my boy Robbie was ill with a colon problem (inflamed colonic wall). He was put onto 1.0ml of metacam per day, which is a lot, but he was in a lot of pain, and Metacam is also an antiinflammatory. In the past if Robbie ever needed painkiller he was only given 0.1ml.

Like Dubbs, Rob didn't seem to mind the taste of the Metacam and took it quite easily :roll: . He was on this high dose of Metacam for about six weeks, half dose for two weeks, and is now off it.

I have heard that Metacam can potentially cause ulcers, kidney problems etc, so Rob had ultrasounds to keep check of this, whilst on the high dose. I guess like everything the possible negatives have to be weighed against the pain relief that Dubbs is getting from the Metacam. Every time that he has ever been on Metacam, my vet has also put him on the same dose of Zantac syrup, which makes ulcers less likely. Is Dubbs on Zantac also - maybe it would be worth asking your vet about these things, if he is to be on Metacam long term.

I hope Dubbs keeps showing his lively spirit - he sounds lovely :)

The Rabbit Welfare Association funded a study into Metacam use in rabbits. You can contact them on 0870 046 5249

Tamsin

Hi Lynn

Dubbs is on 7 drops a day, this morning i had to syringe it into his mouth as he refused to lick it off my finger (the first time he has done this in two weeks). The 7 drops measured about 1.0ml in the syringe i think. I'll double check tonight/tomorrow.

Unfortunately Dubbs' illness is terminal. The cancer is inoperable and is about the size of a large apple apparently. It's on his kidney. The vet is amazed by him, she says his poos are remarkably healthy looking considering, she also says his strength and spirit does not reflect what is going on inside him at all. She almost recommended putting him down a few weeks ago but when i took him in for a check up last week she was relieved she hadn't done so.

I think maybe Dubbs doesn't have a 'ong term' per se and the Vet has administered the Metacam as ameans to making his final days/weeks (or however long it may be) pain free.

I haven't heard of Zantac syrup...does your rabbit take to it easily? I'm not sure Dubbs would stand for me injecting TWO lots of medicine into his mouth!

Thanks for your kind words :D

lindac said:
I haven't heard of Zantac syrup...does your rabbit take to it easily? I'm not sure Dubbs would stand for me injecting TWO lots of medicine into his mouth!

The Zantac smells like peppermint, and I think it has more taste (not that I've tried it :roll: ) than Metacam, as Rob normally clenches his front paws when he gets that one, almost like he doesn't approve. Rob became very good at taking his meds, probably because he was on so much, and he always got fresh fruit as a treat after it which maybe compensated :wink:

I find when syringing the 1ml syringes are easier than the bigger ones, which he struggles with much more.

I agree entirely that with a terminal illness, the most important thing is to make Dubbs as pain free and comfortable as possible. He sounds like a very special wee man, with lots of fighting spirit - give him a cuddle from me.

Back