• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does rabbit actually shed tears when they are griefing for their partner

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
So after my bun Bobby passed away at age 12 yesterday, his girlfriend Minnie has a change of behaviour right away.

Minnie, in the past 9 mth. or so, has a bit of extra discharge on the her right eyes due to her age, these discharge is actually the same type of regular dirt that we have, coming out of our eyes. Except her ones is slightly more fluid than solid

But this morning and afternoon, there is more discharge residue on her fur (just below her eyes area), so I couldn't help but wonder if she's crying.

I know from experience of another bridge bun Goofball, that I did see Goofball shed 1 single tear due to some sort of medicine condition back in 2007. So I know rabbits are capable of shedding tears. But are they capable of shedding tears due to the emotional issues, such as the lost of their parnters?

Further, she also sits at the usual spot of Bobby starting last night (under my bed). Minnie almost never sit on those spot. She used to many years ago but she hasn't done it for many years. So clearly she's griefing for Bobby, her 6 year partner.

Now, a local friend told me that I should give her more attention, however, Minnie is not the type of bun that wants me to cuddle her. I can tickle her face lightly but that's it. That's her personality all these years. She loves to lick my face, but she doesn't want me to cuddle her.

So what can I do to make her feel better and partly relief her griefing?

On other note, I notice she actually sit up everytime I walk towards her. In the past, she doesn't care and just sit there. She seems to act insecure and think I would do something to her.

Last edited:
So after my bun Bobby passed away at age 12 yesterday, his girlfriend Minnie has a change of behaviour right away.

Minnie, in the past 9 mth. or so, has a bit of extra discharge on the her right eyes due to her age, these discharge is actually the same type of regular dirt that we have, coming out of our eyes. Except her ones is slightly more fluid than solid

But this morning and afternoon, there is more discharge residue on her fur (just below her eyes area), so I couldn't help but wonder if she's crying.

I know from experience of another bridge bun Goofball, that I did see Goofball shed 1 single tear due to some sort of medicine condition back in 2007. So I know rabbits are capable of shedding tears. But are they capable of shedding tears due to the emotional issues, such as the lost of their parnters?

Further, she also sits at the usual spot of Bobby starting last night (under my bed). Minnie almost never sit on those spot. She used to many years ago but she hasn't done it for many years. So clearly she's griefing for Bobby, her 6 year partner.

Now, a local friend told me that I should give her more attention, however, Minnie is not the type of bun that wants me to cuddle her. I can tickle her face lightly but that's it. That's her personality all these years. She loves to lick my face, but she doesn't want me to cuddle her.

I dont think the tearing is 'emotional crying' Jason. But when a Rabbit experiences any sort of stress, such as a bereavement, it can have a negative impact on their immune system. This can allow a previously latent health issue to become symptomatic. You may not have noticed so much tearing from Minnie's eyes if Bobby used to clean her eyes for her. So it might be a good idea to get the Vet to check Minnie over at some stage. There are several possible causes of dacryocystitis (runny eyes)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Runny_eyes.htm

As for how you could help Minnie cope with the loss of Bobby, I always find that making some subtle changes to the Rabbit's environment can help eg adding some new toys, some upturned cardboard boxes to investigate, an old telephone directory to rip up, a large litter tray filled with shredded paper to dig about in.

Some Rabbits let us know that they really need the companionship of another Rabbit ASAP after a bereavement, but others may take a lot longer before they are willing to accept a new friend. In Lady Lydia's case she 100% refused to be bonded with another Rabbit after we lost Sir Victor. Despite numerous attempts with several different Rabbits. That scenario is unusual though and had I not witnessed it myself first hand I would probably not have believed it.

On other note, I notice she actually sit up everytime I walk towards her. In the past, she doesn't care and just sit there. She seems to act insecure and think I would do something to her.

Hi Jason

Rabbits don't cry in the sense that you mean. However, a grieving bunny will often exhibit a lowered immune response and therefore little ailments that have been 'lurking' and not causing any issue may come to the surface.

Mites is one, and a weepy eye tends to be another.

Keep the area clean, bathe with cooled boiled water, and if it gets worse, or doesn't clear up, I would see the vet. They can flush the tear ducts if necessary, to clear them out and help drainage.

Normally, protective tears continuously bathe the eye, and are drained away via the nasolacrimal canal (“tear duct”), a tiny, mucous-membrane-lined tube. The opening of the canal, the punctum, is located in the corner of the eye closest to the nose (medial canthus). The duct goes through the skull and empties tears into the nasal cavity.
http://rabbit.org/chronic-runny-eyes-in-rabbits/

No, the eye situation is nowhere near what is shown on that photo link.

It's 1 drop of milky discharge that is deposited on the fur area near the eyes area, but the rest of the eyes is normal. So there is no milky substance surrounded the eye, except at the corner leaking out. There is a clear light wetness along the eyelid though.

So ususally w/ that single milky substance, I can feel it at the fur area because it makes the fur feels a bit sticky. In the past, I just use water to clean it.

This morning that fur area is most mess up, so I assume there is more discharge

I'll post a photo next time I see it, I'll use a camera to capture it

And being too lazy to start a new thread, what's the average waiting time you guys use to introduce a new bun to a partner after that partner lost her companion?

1 week, 2 weeks or longer?

And being too lazy to start a new thread, what's the average waiting time you guys use to introduce a new bun to a partner after that partner lost her companion?

1 week, 2 weeks or longer?

I never set a specific time line. I judge every situation individually. As previously mentioned, some bereaved Rabbits 'ask' for a new friend almost straight away, some may not want to know another Rabbit for several weeks/months. Very, very rarely a Rabbit may never again accept a new Rabbit companion. I have only encountered that scenario once in the last 20 years during which time I have cared for over 150 Rabbits xx

Okay, thank you. When Monty passed away, I adopted Bernie just after (within 3 days or so).

Likewise, when Bernie passed away, I adopted Bobby also within days.

But based on what my local friend told me, I do agree that I should give my bun sometime to get used to the loss of the companion before I introduce her w/ a new companion. However, w/ Bernie, because they are separated in the last 5 mth., Minnie didn't get upset, but rather, somewhat grumpy after a no. of days.

Having said that, I did make a mistake on putting Bernie back w/ Minnie after his teeth trim. That same local friend told me rabbits use their nose more so than their eyes, and that Bernie must have picked up some other animals smell on his fur, so when he comes back, Minnie doesn't agree and they fight, and since then, separated (this was 6.5 yr. ago). But the funny thing is, ea. time Bobby come back from the vet, we don't have this problem.

Back