• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any spare vibes for Nancy please?

Den

Mama Doe
So big bunny was back at the vets again Monday evening as she was weeing outside of the litter box again.

Urine sample has been sent off for testing to see if she has another UTI.

As she was otherwise well no meds prescribed until test results back.

Tuesday morning she wasn't eating and showing signs of pain. I am used to this with Will but not Nancy. However Nancy loves OH and was happy to picked up, snuggled against his chest and be gently stroked along her sides and from ears to tail and she eventually ate greens.

OH is self-employed and checked on her every 2 hours and was relieved to report she was back to her usual greedy self and had passed some 'string of pearls' poops.

We are confident this is because she is in full moult rather than because of what is going on with her waterworks and she ate her tea and supper with her usual hearty appetite.

I'm worried about her urinary tract issues as we know her previous tests showed crystals and I don't know whether she will need invasive treatment. :cry:

Last edited:
So big bunny was back at the vets again Monday evening as she was weeing outside of the litter box again.

Urine sample has been sent off for testing to see if she has another UTI.

As she was otherwise well no meds prescribed until test results back.

Tuesday morning she wasn't eating and showing signs of pain. I am used to this with Will but not Nancy. However Nancy loves OH and was happy to picked up and gently massaged along her sides and eventually ate greens.

OH is self-employed and checked on her every 2 hours and was relieved to report she was back to her usual greedy self and had passed some 'string of pearls' poops.

We are confident this is because she is in full moult rather than because of what is going on with her waterworks and she ate her tea and supper with her usual hearty appetite.

I'm worried about her urinary tract issues as we know her previous tests showed crystals and I don't know whether she will need invasive treatment. :cry:

It may be that the not eating is related to bladder discomfort, rather than GI tract pain. Personally I would call the Vet this morming to ask if it may be wise to start her on treatment even if the Urinalysis results are still not back. Also, I'd be very, very wary about doing any abdominal massage, as in some cases this can make bladder problems a lot worse. Just my opinion and that of my Vet, some people will dismiss the advice as rubbish.

Crystals in wee can cause intermittent cystitis like symptoms, if you've ever had cystitis you'll know what that's like..........OUCHEE ! So intermittent inappetance can occur. This in turn can lead to gi tract slow down.

So in short, I'd give the Vet a call this morning. Even if he/she does not want to start Nancy on abx yet he/she may agree to her having some Metacam to try to reduce the inflammation and discomfort in her bladder.

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Sending lots of vibes for your beautiful girlie. I hope you can establish what the issue is.

It may be that the not eating is related to bladder discomfort, rather than GI tract pain. Personally I would call the Vet this morming to ask if it may be wise to start her on treatment even if the Urinalysis results are still not back. Also, I'd be very, very wary about doing any abdominal massage, as in some cases this can make bladder problems a lot worse. Just my opinion and that of my Vet, some people will dismiss the advice as rubbish.

Crystals in wee can cause intermittent cystitis like symptoms, if you've ever had cystitis you'll know what that's like..........OUCHEE ! So intermittent inappetance can occur. This in turn can lead to gi tract slow down.

So in short, I'd give the Vet a call this morning. Even if he/she does not want to start Nancy on abx yet he/she may agree to her having some Metacam to try to reduce the inflammation and discomfort in her bladder.

Sending lots of vibes for her xx

Jane, thank you so much for your advice. I have called the vet but Alex isn't in until this afternoon and is calling me back.

Having suffered UTIs myself and seen OH hospitalised with kidney stones I can't believe I didn't think her discomfort may be associated with her bladder issues.:oops:

I used the term 'massage' rather loosely as neither OH nor me would know where we should or shouldn't be massaging - it was more a snuggle and stroking 10 minutes and we are sure it was the warmth and relaxing that helped her- she then totally ignored the snuggle safes- I have amended my original post accordingly so as not to mislead anyone.

Jane, thank you so much for your advice. I have called the vet but Alex isn't in until this afternoon and is calling me back.

Having suffered UTIs myself and seen OH hospitalised with kidney stones I can't believe I didn't think her discomfort may be associated with her bladder issues.:oops:

I used the term 'massage' rather loosely as neither OH nor me would know where we should or shouldn't be massaging - it was more a snuggle and stroking 10 minutes and we are sure it was the warmth and relaxing that helped her- she then totally ignored the snuggle safes- I have amended my original post accordingly so as not to mislead anyone.

That's OK. I really hope that Nancy's 'plumbing' problems can be sorted out soon. I'd try to encourage her to have a good water intake. Even things like leaving fresh veg/herbs wet after rinsing them can help. Unless of course Nancy is like my Rabbits who all look at me in absolute disgust if I dare to serve their fresh herbs a bit wet ! :roll:

Rabbits are so mysterious!

I have had rabbits that will eat with a severe UTI and carry on 'as normal' and others that stop eating. Impossible to tell sometimes.

The lab result on the urine analysis shouldn't take too long to come back, should it? When did they say?

Loads of vibes in the meantime :)

That's OK. I really hope that Nancy's 'plumbing' problems can be sorted out soon. I'd try to encourage her to have a good water intake. Even things like leaving fresh veg/herbs wet after rinsing them can help. Unless of course Nancy is like my Rabbits who all look at me in absolute disgust if I dare to serve their fresh herbs a bit wet ! :roll:
I have already given an extra water bowl. There are two bottles too. Good idea about wetting the herbs, I will do that. Nancy fortunately isn't fussy but I daresay Will's will need to be be served dry - he has only just started eating fresh herbs and only coriander. He actually ran and hid when I tried to tempt him with the rather pungent basil. :lol:

Rabbits are so mysterious!

I have had rabbits that will eat with a severe UTI and carry on 'as normal' and others that stop eating. Impossible to tell sometimes.

The lab result on the urine analysis shouldn't take too long to come back, should it? When did they say?

Loads of vibes in the meantime :)

Thanks MM.:wave:

When this first flared up she did not go off her food but she was clearly uncomfortable yesterday.

We were at the vets late on Monday and hope the results to be back tomorrow.

I have already given an extra water bowl. There are two bottles too. Good idea about wetting the herbs, I will do that. Nancy fortunately isn't fussy but I daresay Will's will need to be be served dry - he has only just started eating fresh herbs and only coriander. He actually ran and hid when I tried to tempt him with the rather pungent basil. :lol:

Oh dear !! :lol:

Thanks MM.:wave:

When this first flared up she did not go off her food but she was clearly uncomfortable yesterday.

We were at the vets late on Monday and hope the results to be back tomorrow.

Welcome :wave:

Not too long to wait for results then ... :)

Back