• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice wanted for Kim & Aggie

Sorry to bother everyone :oops: but I have a few (probably very basic) questions.

Having been officially introduced to each other on Friday, Kim & Aggie immediately hit it off and are now spending their time cuddling up to each other and grooming one another.

This may seem like a really dopey question but I am now wondering what to do as regards feeding etc.

Do I feed them at the same time from one dish or give them their own?
Should I separate them at feeding time (they get food at set times but graze throughout the day)?
Should I keep them together all the time now - they don't want to be separated but I am not sure what to do?
Should they have spearate water botles.

At the moment Aggie has jumped into Kim's cage and the two of them are really settled there. Is Aggie's cage now surplus? They get out for a few hours a day for playtime.

Sorry if this seems really obvious but I have never had two bunnies that have got on so well and it has caught me a bit off guard. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Lol Pam, Kim & Aggie

Your bunnies are now officially 'bonded' (congratulations!) so they can share a cage, food bowls, water bottle etc. From now on there's no need to seperate them, in facts its best to keep them together.

You can put Aggie's cage in storage or even join it onto Kims so they have double space.

Tam

Thanks very much Tamsin.

I know I have been very lucky that it has been totally painless (for me and them).

Kim (she's 4) used to live with three other buns but that was years ago and since she is a huffy wee madam I was not sure if she would adapt. Aggie (18 months) has never lived with another bun.

I have taken a couple of photos of them. When I can work out what to do I will post them.

I am really chuffed and very very happy for the buns.

Thanks again for your advice - hoop you don't think I am a total wally.

lol Pam, Kim & Aggie

Aww it's okay, that's what we're here for. Every one has to learn sometime. Bran & Case are my first pair too.

Good to know it went so well. :)

Do I feed them at the same time from one dish or give them their own?
Ours have two dishes, just to hold all the food they need. They aren't fussy about 'their bowl' and eat out of both.

Should I separate them at feeding time (they get food at set times but graze throughout the day)?
Ours buns don't have a feeding time, they eat together very happily. It would probably be more traumatic to keep seperating them.

Should I keep them together all the time now - they don't want to be separated but I am not sure what to do?
Once a pair are bonded seperation should be kept to the bare minimum. They miss each other terribly when apart.

Should they have spearate water botles.
There's no need to. Ours drink from the same one [it's a large 500 ml one].

I suppose the cage is surplus, but it's handy to have a spare. We have two, one in the garden (the summer house) and one in the garage (the winter palace). Saves moving the hutches as the weather changes.

Pam you are sooooo lucky they've taken to each other so quickly :wink:

All our buns have set feeding times too. They get their breakfast before we go to work and supper before they're bedded for the night. Both breakfast and supper consists of a very small amout of SS or Excel, readigrass or supaforage to fill the bowl and topped with an absolute heap of mixed fresh veggies. Usually all food is eaten within 10 to 30 minutes (depending on the gluttons!) Mojo and Grace (the bonded hooligans) get theirs scattered in the morning in their enclosure, on top of boxes, in boxes, etc. so they have to look for it, and in the evenings they get their Excel in a treat ball so they have to work for it too. If I put everything in a bowl for them, they'd inhale it in two minutes! Mojo steals things out of Grace's mouth (and she then looks at me with that 'Muuuuuuuum :( ' look :lol: . The rest of the day, they eat hay, hay and more hay! Snowball gets hers scattered in her cage too as she'd be a glutton and gulp it all at once. She gets her veggies stuffed into the cardboard centre of a kitchen roll, and she tosses it about like a caber to get them out, both these activities give her something to do. She too then grazes on hay all day (and for some reason she smells sweet like a cow :roll: ), til supper time.

Mojo and Grace have two water bowls and a huge drinking bottle, all others have bottles. Although if it's raining, Rosie likes to lick the rainwater off the mesh :roll: .

I too think they should now be left together, but keep the spare cage handy just incase you need it (cos guaranteed, if you get rid of it, you'll need it, and if you keep it, you won't need it! :wink: ).

Thank you Lynda and Sage for your advice - am very grateful.

I wish I had been as relaxed about this whole thing as Kim & Aggie.

They send everyone lots of bunny kisses and say that you are all :angel:

Thanks again

Pam, Kim & Aggie.

P.S Aggie gets her show ring removed tomorrow so wish us luck (yes, I will be the interfering owner watchin por Jim (my vet and boss) every move) - two days with Kim and she has been forced to abandon her last claim to poshness.

Are you going to take Kim along for company?

Oh and tell Jim I said Hi and is he going to the Bristol rabbit conference? Come to think of it, are you going to the conference?

I don't get to go anywhere :!: :!: :!:

I mentioned you to Jim (he wondered who I was getting to chat buns with) and he said if you were registered you could be our charity of the month in January.

I was thinking about taking Kim along because they don't get staff perks and will have to just wait for a space to be seen. funnily enough tomorrow is a bunny day as we have another couple coming in.

I am pretty surre Jim isn't going to Bristol - he is really busy just now what with setting up and stuff. Because I am training I can't get to go and our locum vet Philippa (who is really great with bunnies) can't go either.

Anyway if you have posters or stuff we could put them up for you. I am in on a Monday from 4-7, Tues 8.30-1, Wed 12-4, Thurs 4-7 and Fri 12-5. I am also in this Saturday. If you are passing just pop them in for my attention and I will make sure I stick them somehere prominent (no comment).

lol Pam, Kim & Aggie

:roll: poor Pam :lol:

Charity of the month is out of the question, as we're not registered as yet. But it was nice of him to offer :D

I think it would be nice if you could take Kim along too, it's a long time to just hang about on your own when you've had full time company for a wee while.

As for the conference, never mind, there's always next year! I'll come in and nip Jim's head :lol:

Hmmmm, posters............. we don't advertise at all, but we do promote Rabbitrehome though, I can bring a couple of Tam's posters :D and you can stick them anywhere you like :shock: but preferably where the public can see it :wink: :lol:

Back