• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do the RSPCA ever rehome rabbits longish distance?

orangediva

Mama Doe
Could, for example, a local branch near to me do the home check?

I’ve fallen in love with a bunny in Cheshire and I live in the midlands. His story has really got to me and he’s so beautiful to boot. I’m not even ready yet - I’m having my big 10ft shed converted and a small aviary attached in mid April but I’ve made the mistake of looking on rabbit rehome tonight. Duh.

I’m just wondering if it’s even possible before I consider emailing them? He’s been waiting for a home since last summer and is very nervous. I shouldn’t even be looking yet but think I could give him a happy home on his terms and hopefully bond him to a nice lady friend as well. He is around 1 hour 45 mins drive from me.

Could, for example, a local branch near to me do the home check?

I’ve fallen in love with a bunny in Cheshire and I live in the midlands. His story has really got to me and he’s so beautiful to boot. I’m not even ready yet - I’m having my big 10ft shed converted and a small aviary attached in mid April but I’ve made the mistake of looking on rabbit rehome tonight. Duh.

I’m just wondering if it’s even possible before I consider emailing them? He’s been waiting for a home since last summer and is very nervous. I shouldn’t even be looking yet but think I could give him a happy home on his terms and hopefully bond him to a nice lady friend as well. He is around 1 hour 45 mins drive from me.

I adopted from the R.S.P.C.A. not long ago and it was a 300 mile round trip :D

I adopted from the R.S.P.C.A. not long ago and it was a 300 mile round trip :D

Oh my goodness that’s amazing - this would be a 160 mile round trip - which I’d be delighted to drive.

Did you have a home check? Wondering how that would be done. I could phone or email them tomorrow. :)

Oh my goodness that’s amazing - this would be a 160 mile round trip - which I’d be delighted to drive.

Did you have a home check? Wondering how that would be done. I could phone or email them tomorrow. :)

No I didn't, but I had been home checked by the R.S.P.C.A. when I became one of their fosterers and sat on their committees when planning rabbit rescue strategies. Also, I am well known to several big Rescue Centres and if they wished they could always look up my credentials as I have fostered hundreds of rabbits for them all :)

Can you get someone to vouch for you? They may also ask for photos of the set up and various other details ...

I often home check on behalf of Rescue Centres and vouch for folk that I have met personally :)

I have adopted from 2 different branches of the RSPCA that were around 1 1/2 hours drive away, the first branch used my local branch to do a home check, the 2nd one asked for measurements and detailed photos of his room, and I had to give vets details for a check there.

I adopted from RSPCA Walsall about 150 miles away. I had been home checked by a local independent rescue only a few weeks earlier when I had adopted the proposed companion rabbit, they contacted that rescue for reference. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

We adopted from the RSPCA and were not asked for a home check. Possibly because we took Bob with us who we were trying to bond to and I had been emailing the person responsible in the run up to it ? The cat and dog rescue we got Bob from also did not ask for a home check. Good luck x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I'd definitely contact them and ask. You could send them some photos and of your planned aviary. They may not reserve for long but April is not that far away.
Definitely go for the bunny you want I'd say 😀🐰❤️ Good luck

I've never been home-checked and have found that rescues will usually accept photos. I think it also helps if you have developed a relationship with them, either by email or by visiting the rescue in person (not alwaya doable if it's long distance).

I check the RSPCA central search site every day and get frustrated as most of the new arrivals seem to be in Manchester, Warrington, and Walsall. I think they must be larger branches or perhaps focus more on rabbits.

I hope you are successful :)

It very much depends on the branch. There isn't a 'covers all' policy and they also rehome to different standards. It's possible, but you'd need to enquire with the branch involved as to whether or not they would do it Good luck :)

Thank you so much for all of your encouraging replies. After picking up the phone several times yesterday - as well as starting an email - I have decided that I need to wait. My accommodation won’t be completely ready until early May and I’m at the hospital in 2 weeks and should hopefully get a date for my imminent surgery. I need to be sensible and should not be looking at potential new bunny friends yet, it’s trap, I’ve fallen into before. If he’s still there when I’m ready who knows :?

Thank you so much for all of your encouraging replies. After picking up the phone several times yesterday - as well as starting an email - I have decided that I need to wait. My accommodation won’t be completely ready until early May and I’m at the hospital in 2 weeks and should hopefully get a date for my imminent surgery. I need to be sensible and should not be looking at potential new bunny friends yet, it’s trap, I’ve fallen into before. If he’s still there when I’m ready who knows :?

You are so absolutely right to do this, though doesn't the heart tug on you??

If he's still there, then he will be the right one for you. You could always register your interest at this stage 'just in case'.

I hope all goes smoothly at the hospital for you x

Thanks MM - yep tugged heartstrings here for sure.

I did think about chatting to them to say I’m interested but don’t want to waste their time - and what if somebody nice comes along for him now. He’s had a rough start he deserves a lovely home not someone saying you can have a home but not yet, bless him. Cheers for the support xx

Thanks MM - yep tugged heartstrings here for sure.

I did think about chatting to them to say I’m interested but don’t want to waste their time - and what if somebody nice comes along for him now. He’s had a rough start he deserves a lovely home not someone saying you can have a home but not yet, bless him. Cheers for the support xx

I have always found with my rescue buns that if I make the enquiry and put it to the back of my mind, something seems to happen regarding it. Often there's been a reason why 'that particular rabbit' isn't available ... But either that rabbit becomes available or another even lovelier one comes along.

Just saying ...
If you felt like it, you could make the enquiry and put it out to the Universe. Even if you don't believe in that sort of thing. Depends how strongly you feel. If there's no statement of intention, there can be no rabbit :)

Yes we have adopted twice out of our area from RSPCA, in our case the branch we adopted from organised with the local branch near to do an homecheck. once homecheck in place they report back to the branch and away you go.
Maybe email the branch explain your situation which we did as like yourself we did not want to go down and be turned away, even before we arrived at the branch they had set in motion who was going to come out and do an homecheck. Go for it.

RSPCA have done both of our home checks when we've adopted them. Boo was a good distance away. All RSPCA operate differently though. Everything crossed you get your bun

Thank you for the replies, funnily enough I’ve been thinking about him this afternoon. Watching my lot run and binky round the garden, I could picture him here too. He still appears to be waiting for his forever home - I can’t imagine why, he’s gorgeous. I guess his poor start, shyness and the fact he’s needed a dental might be putting people off. I’d love to give him a chance at being happy - if he’s still there once I know what’s happening with my op I’ll be trying to get him.

Oh best of luck. I can relate to looking on rabbit rehome and having your heart strings tugged!

Back