• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gemini Head Tilt Update 2/22/2019

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
Last evening my back was sore from awkwardly lifting a large box of timothy hay earlier in the day, so my spouse had to do most of the bunny care. It was not until 3am that my spouse mumbled that Gemini did not eat his dandelion greens and that Gemini drank very little water. My first thought was Gemini was in need of another dental so I mixed up some critical care and prepared the fluids. Gemini accepted the critical care and fluids, so after I gave him some Medicam I tried to get some rest. I checked on him an hour later and he seemed wobbly when he hopped out of his litter box. I suspected an infection so I gave him some abx. As I held him he gave me many kisses. He is such a sweet boy.
Late this afternoon, as he arrived at the vets his head began to tilt and his one eye had nystagmus. At this point he is being treated for an ear infection with a different antibiotic that my vet sayHe was seen by my rabbit savvy vet late this afternoon as was prescribed a different antibiotic. He just got his first dose of this abx and I am asking for positive vibes for Gemini that we will see some progress, or at least no more decline, soon.
I have made his area more friendly for a bunny with balance issues.

Last edited:
Last evening my back was sore from awkwardly lifting a large box of timothy hay earlier in the day, so my spouse had to do most of the bunny care. It was not until 3am that my spouse mumbled that Gemini did not eat his dandelion greens and that Gemini drank very little water. My first thought was Gemini was in need of another dental so I mixed up some critical care and prepared the fluids. Gemini accepted the critical care and fluids, so after I gave him some Medicam I tried to get some rest. I checked on him an hour later and he seemed wobbly when he hopped out of his litter box. I suspected an infection so I gave him some abx. As I held him he gave me many kisses. He is such a sweet boy.
Late this afternoon, as he arrived at the vets his head began to tilt and his one eye had nystagmus. At this point he is being treated for an ear infection with a different antibiotic that my vet sayHe was seen by my rabbit savvy vet late this afternoon as was prescribed a different antibiotic. He just got his first dose of this abx and I am asking for positive vibes for Gemini that we will see some progress, or at least no more decline, soon.

Oh T this really is the last thing you need right now :cry: When are you going to catch a break from all the stress and worry :cry: I expect you have already read a lot of the following information, but I'll post the links anyway:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/management-of-head-tilt-in-rabbits/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

Finally, I dont know if you use Facebook but if you do there is a UK based group on there dedicated to offering advice and support for anyone caring for a Rabbit with Head Tilt. You may want to join the group if you are a Facebooker

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

Sending you many hugs T. You know where I am if I can be any more help or just be a 'listening' ear xx

I hope that Gemini begins and improvement very soon on the antibiotic.

What a worry for you.

Sending loads of vibes, and strength for you xx

Oh T this really is the last thing you need right now :cry: When are you going to catch a break from all the stress and worry :cry: I expect you have already read a lot of the following information, but I'll post the links anyway:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.veterinarywebinars.com/m...oads/2016/03/Study_Notes_Ear_Nose_Rabbits.pdf

https://www.mspca.org/angell_services/management-of-head-tilt-in-rabbits/

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

Finally, I dont know if you use Facebook but if you do there is a UK based group on there dedicated to offering advice and support for anyone caring for a Rabbit with Head Tilt. You may want to join the group if you are a Facebooker

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

Sending you many hugs T. You know where I am if I can be any more help or just be a 'listening' ear xx

Thanks for putting the information at my fingertips, and for your good thoughts.

Zoobec, Omi, Cuthbert, and Mighty Max,

Thank you for your good thoughts.

He is about the same as he was when he was at the vets yesterday afternoon. He has a lot of eye and head movement and hops in a circular pattern and wobbles. He is minimizing his movements; yet he did manage to wash his face after I fed him his critical care earlier today.

Last night he fell over and, before my spouse could help Gemini to right himself, he ripped off one of his toenails-likely on one of the towels I gave Gemini as a cushion. By the time I saw the blood dots on his towel/newspapers they were dry. Gemini only let me look at his foot long enough to determine he lost a toenail and it was not bleeding anymore. His nails were trimmed recently so I did not expect this to happen when he already was so ill.

Gemini got his third dose (every 12 hours) of the abx and I am hoping that something will improve, especially the eye and head movement, overnight.

He is about the same as he was when he was at the vets yesterday afternoon. He has a lot of eye and head movement and hops in a circular pattern and wobbles. He is minimizing his movements; yet he did manage to wash his face after I fed him his critical care earlier today.

Last night he fell over and, before my spouse could help Gemini to right himself, he ripped off one of his toenails-likely on one of the towels I gave Gemini as a cushion. By the time I saw the blood dots on his towel/newspapers they were dry. Gemini only let me look at his foot long enough to determine he lost a toenail and it was not bleeding anymore. His nails were trimmed recently so I did not expect this to happen when he already was so ill.

Gemini got his third dose (every 12 hours) of the abx and I am hoping that something will improve, especially the eye and head movement, overnight.

Are you still giving him regular Meloxicam T ? Reducing inflammation within the CNS can help reduce clinical symptoms. Also, as you will see in the links in my previous post, sometimes giving a medication such as cyclizine, meclizine or procloperazine can help reduce the dizziness

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cyclizine.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meclizine.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meclizine.htm

Sending lots more vibes for the poor little chap xx

Sending lots more vibes for Gemini this morning. It must be distressing to watch.

I am so sorry to hear this :cry:

It's so difficult to know what to do for the best, as he can't tell you how he feels.

Regarding the dizziness, it's not known whether rabbits feel nausea and sickness as they can't vomit, so there's hope that he's not feeling as bad as we would in those circumstances?

I find this article really helpful:

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

The use of anti-nausea drugs is controversial, as there is no clear evidence that rabbits experience feelings of nausea. They have a different physiology than humans in that they physically do not have the capacity to vomit, so we do not know if motion sickness plays a role in rabbits with vestibular disease, and there is no substantiated evidence that the use of anti-nausea drugs helps improve the condition of rabbits with head tilt. Although there is probably no harm (although this has not been examined, either), these drugs are probably not necessary and it might be best to avoid too many pharmaceuticals given to the rabbit at one time. Some veterinarians feel anti-nausea drugs, like diphenhydramine or meclizine, are useful in the rolling rabbit or one who is not eating.

Hi Jane and Mighty Max,

Thank you for your posts.

He is still getting medicam at a dosage that is above average. I asked about meclizine and vet did not want to give him an unproven med which may have an interaction. Several years ago we did use it for my late Black Velvet and my own observation was that is only seemed to help for a couple of hours, during which time I would give her feedings.
This morning he had some reduced eye and head movements, even though his head is tipped a lot to one side. When I held him, he decided to groom my chin and face as I gave him pets. He never licked me that much so I think he was feeling a little better and more secure as I held him.
I was so encouraged I left him for a few hours after I gave him his feedings, fluids, and meds. When I arrived home I saw he made some very soft poo and he had a messy bum too. Gemini was very good as I rinsed his butt. His abx must be working because his eye movements were even less than this morning.

As I was writing this vet returned my call and he said this particular abx is unlikely the reason for his soft poos and it is more likely from the change in diet to critical care and stress. We will continue the abx with are working and monitor him closely.

To get his diet closer to normal I will add some ground up pelleted bunny food to his critical care at his next syringe feeding.

I did not think the soft poos were uneaten cecals. Of course it is always a possibility.

Last edited:
Hi Jane and Mighty Max,

He is still getting medicam at a dosage that is above average. I asked about meclizine and vet did not want to give him an unproven med which may have an interaction. Several years ago we did use it for my late Black Velvet and my own observation was that is only seemed to help for a couple of hours, during which time I would give her feedings.
This morning he had some reduced eye and head movements, even though his head is tipped a lot to one side. When I held him, he decided to groom my chin and face as I gave him pets. He never licked me that much so I think he was feeling a little better and more secure as I held him.
I was so encouraged I left him for a few hours after I gave him his feedings, fluids, and meds. When I arrived home I saw he made some very soft poo and he had a messy bum too. Gemini was very good as I rinsed his butt. His abx must be working because his eye movements were even less than this morning.

As I was writing this vet returned my call and he said this particular abx is unlikely the reason for his soft poos and it is more likely from the change in diet to critical care and stress. We will continue the abx with are working and monitor him closely.

To get his diet closer to normal I will add some ground up pelleted bunny food to his critical care at his next syringe feeding.

I did not think the soft poos were uneaten cecals. Of course it is always a possibility.

I must say when my rabbit was very poorly for several weeks recently he began to do the soft poo you mention. I believe it was also the syringe feeding and stress of the situation.

I am glad the abx seem to be working. I really hope he gets better, as you've been through the mill one way and another and deserve to catch a break.

Topping up the vibes for Gemini x

Hi Jane and Mighty Max,

I would not worry too much about the soft poo at this stage. Given that Gemini has significant vestibular disturbance at the moment, he is no doubt stressed and he is also not eating his usual amount of fibre (hay) then soft poo is not really that surprising. He may need ongoing help to keep himself clean as getting to his bum to eat his cecals may make him feel very dizzy and possibly roll. This could put him off bothering to try again.

I hope the small improvements in his symptoms continue, it's a positive that the nystagmus has lessened. Still sending lots of vibes for him xx

Jane and MM,

Thank you for your reassurance in regards to his soft poo. He had less of the soft poo today, but what he had smelled very stinky. I cleaned his rear as much as he would allow. He also had some smaller/hard poos so I suspect that is also because he is not getting enough fiber. Gemini still has the eye movements in both eyes to about the same extent as yesterday at this time and his head has approximately the same amount of tilt. However, he is falling less often as he moves around. Today he also ate a small amount of greens from carrot tops and dandelion greens; plus he even managed to drink a little from his water bottle without falling over. He still needs the critical care/ground pellet mash and sub Q fluids along with his meds.

Jane and MM,

Thank you for your reassurance in regards to his soft poo. He had less of the soft poo today, but what he had smelled very stinky. I cleaned his rear as much as he would allow. He also had some smaller/hard poos so I suspect that is also because he is not getting enough fiber. Gemini still has the eye movements in both eyes to about the same extent as yesterday at this time and his head has approximately the same amount of tilt. However, he is falling less often as he moves around. Today he also ate a small amount of greens from carrot tops and dandelion greens; plus he even managed to drink a little from his water bottle without falling over. He still needs the critical care/ground pellet mash and sub Q fluids along with his meds.

Poor little man :cry: I really hope that his vestibular symptoms lessen soon. It's encouraging that he is at least trying to eat a little for himself xx

Back