• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming long haired bunnies

Alicia

Mama Doe
Angus is half angora and he had to be shaved before I got him as he was quite matted. I don’t want this to happen again so I’ve got some brushes and have been brushing him every day but I’ve noticed a small matt behind each ear. I’ve got them out but I’m still concerned. How do you prevent long haired rabbits from becoming matted?

One of mine is an angora cross and it’s really difficult to keep him matt free. I actually shave his fur quite short every 2-3 months and it’s much easier to look after. Not shaved right to the skin just short! He has matts appear literally overnight and there are areas which are more prone to it eg under his chin & down towards his front paws, on his sides just at the top of his front paws and behind his head. I find metal toothed combs best for grooming and also slicker brushes if you can find one of the ‘gentler’ ones.

My bunny also had to be fully shaved when he was brought into the rescue, I feel so sorry for him that he was born with such difficult fur as he really doesn’t like being groomed.

Back