• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit cleaning whine

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
its just taken me one hour and 30 minutes to clean out two litter trays, a pen and the top deck of the hutch. I'm exhausted to the point I'm not sure if I can stand right now and my knees are killing me.

at the moment as I struggle so much to clean the bunnies by myself, I work around kevin's schedule so he can help me. thing is this can change from week to week so he might have a day off thursday, but not one again until monday. I feel bad but it never goes right when I do it by myself, I'm too small and too weak :(

yesterday was his day off but my knee was acting up (something to do with my kneecap moving out of place so it pulls on muscles and rubs my other bones), so I couldn't clean them. today I decided to do it and it went horribly.

I got litter onto the floor due to the bag ripping but also the litter tray being heavy so I dropped it. usually I pass the litter tray over to Kevin for him to empty it, but instead I'm trying to get over the puppy panels of Luna's quarters to clean Orion. its a pain to have Orion in the hutch while I try to clean, and a pain trying to get over the panels to get out. Luna has utterly trashed her cage so that takes way longer to clean that it should. I'm way too tiny to pick up the bag of litter so I have to use a cup to fill the litter trays.. then as I ran out I had to drag the 30l back up the stairs. then I had to take the bin bag downstairs which wasn't easy as it felt as heavy as the 30l new bag of litter. I couldn't put it in the bin so that will have to wait until tomorrow I guess.

I haven't been able to sweep the room either so it still looks a mess.

it just takes so long and exhausts me so easily. I wish the bunnies could help me out, but instead they just jump in the bin bag

its just taken me one hour and 30 minutes to clean out two litter trays, a pen and the top deck of the hutch. I'm exhausted to the point I'm not sure if I can stand right now and my knees are killing me.

at the moment as I struggle so much to clean the bunnies by myself, I work around kevin's schedule so he can help me. thing is this can change from week to week so he might have a day off thursday, but not one again until monday. I feel bad but it never goes right when I do it by myself, I'm too small and too weak :(

yesterday was his day off but my knee was acting up (something to do with my kneecap moving out of place so it pulls on muscles and rubs my other bones), so I couldn't clean them. today I decided to do it and it went horribly.

I got litter onto the floor due to the bag ripping but also the litter tray being heavy so I dropped it. usually I pass the litter tray over to Kevin for him to empty it, but instead I'm trying to get over the puppy panels of Luna's quarters to clean Orion. its a pain to have Orion in the hutch while I try to clean, and a pain trying to get over the panels to get out. Luna has utterly trashed her cage so that takes way longer to clean that it should. I'm way too tiny to pick up the bag of litter so I have to use a cup to fill the litter trays.. then as I ran out I had to drag the 30l back up the stairs. then I had to take the bin bag downstairs which wasn't easy as it felt as heavy as the 30l new bag of litter. I couldn't put it in the bin so that will have to wait until tomorrow I guess.

it just takes so long and exhausts me so easily. I wish the bunnies could help me out, but instead they just jump in the bin bag
That sounds like an ordeal not sure I have anything to say to make it easier either :( maybe your boyfriend could clean them out on his own? Mine has started to clean the bunnies litter trays out on his own, unprompted (yay :D) because they all get a clean one everyday and I have a sick bunny who sometimes has quite a few trays a day... And accidents all over his area so basically gets a whole clean everyday and several litter trays [emoji38] sounds like you need a break x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

can you think of anything to make it more efficient? I'm trying to mentally picture it myself....

I'm a big believer in there always being changes you can make if something is difficult/time consuming, you just have to get creative and figure out what those changes could be. sometimes even little things can make a world of difference!

it would be easier if the two of them could just be friends already :lol: then I would just be able to let them out together while cleaning rather than the whole pen issue. the panels around the hutch are probably 100cm.. perhaps more high. I'm only 160cm myself. as you can guess its not too easy to get over them when holding something (and two bunnies who keep running at you as they believe the bin bag sound is a treat bag sound!)

I don't trust my parents to watch one of them, so I can't open the panels and be able to walk in and out freely. they let Mr Kitty bully the bunnies as they believe its good for them and "he only wants to play". I have no where to put one of them unsupervised. maybe I'm too soft but I feel a little bad locking one of them in a carrier for a while too.

Kevin could do it by himself, and he has once with my supervision when I was sick, but the whole process still took him an hour. together it just makes things so much quicker, we can get it done in 30 minutes as while he's emptying and filling the trays, I'm sweeping the hay up and disinfecting. then spend roughly 15 minutes after sweeping the floor. its just an easier process together but it does mean that the bunnies need to work around kevin, and sometimes he's tired (working 12 hour shifts for multiple days straight).

Im trying to work out some way to make it easier but I really don't know how.

as horrible as it sounds, if I ask my parents for help it takes even longer and is just more difficult.

it would be easier if the two of them could just be friends already [emoji38] then I would just be able to let them out together while cleaning rather than the whole pen issue. the panels around the hutch are probably 100cm.. perhaps more high. I'm only 160cm myself. as you can guess its not too easy to get over them when holding something (and two bunnies who keep running at you as they believe the bin bag sound is a treat bag sound!)

I don't trust my parents to watch one of them, so I can't open the panels and be able to walk in and out freely. they let Mr Kitty bully the bunnies as they believe its good for them and "he only wants to play". I have no where to put one of them unsupervised. maybe I'm too soft but I feel a little bad locking one of them in a carrier for a while too.

Kevin could do it by himself, and he has once with my supervision when I was sick, but the whole process still took him an hour. together it just makes things so much quicker, we can get it done in 30 minutes as while he's emptying and filling the trays, I'm sweeping the hay up and disinfecting. then spend roughly 15 minutes after sweeping the floor. its just an easier process together but it does mean that the bunnies need to work around kevin, and sometimes he's tired (working 12 hour shifts for multiple days straight).

Im trying to work out some way to make it easier but I really don't know how.

as horrible as it sounds, if I ask my parents for help it takes even longer and is just more difficult.
Ah I stick one of mine in a carrier sometimes when I clean him out, he tends to get too into the cleaning process and if no ones around or it's too cold outside I just stick him in the carrier for 30 mins - he's fine, has a few treats and strokes :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

There will definitely be ways to make it easier, even if it's putting one in a carry case.

Something I found sped my bunny rounds up amazingly (I had 17 bunnies at the point I started this), is having two sets of trays and making the other set up the night before, then you can just swap the trays and empty whenever it works for you.

Like the idea of making new trays up in advance Sky-o. Now to get more trays!

I sometimes pop mine in a carrier for a short while, mainly to stop them trying to get in the bag etc and it's fine.

I like the idea of extra trays too, but I definately spend more time cleaning the mess outside of the trays as most of them love to drag everything out.

It does sound like a team effort with you and your boyfriend works best, so try to fit it in around his work etc and try not to worry if it sometimes has to wait until he is available. You shouldn't be having to struggle with heavy bags, you could hurt yourself x

Possibly chondromalacia patella?

https://www.healthline.com/health/chondromalacia-patella

I've had it since I was 9. I'm due to go back to my Dr's as I've been getting worse despite continuing physio.

It may be worth visiting the Dr's and seeing if you can be referred for physio, having your knee tapped etc.
Keeping them warm can help a great deal surprisingly.

Could a different litter help with cleaning as it'll be lighter to lift?

I agree that boxing even just one bun will help while you're cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'll just have to not be so soft and box one of them :lol: I think its the fact that then the one who's out circles the box the entire time like a little kid "ner ner ner ner I'm out and you're not!", I have no high places to place them out of.

I never considered the trays idea, so I'll think about that one! :D I think at times the longest thing is sweeping up all the mess as Orion just throws everything everywhere :roll: hay gets pulled out and pushed around, toys thrown in his water. he's a right little brat!

I'm not sure what my other litter options are. sawdust stinks very quickly with Orion, and they try to eat any thing similar to carefresh. wood pellet while heavy, seems to work as it doesn't stink up after a day and they don't try to eat it! I figure its as Orion isn't neutered yet so he smells up everything quickly.

it might well be that Daphne :lol:

I went to the doctor in October I think? since I was about 7 I've been back and forwards and they diagnosed me with severs disease (policemans heel) and osgood schlatters disease in my knees. got referred to podiatry and went through all of that, got exercises to do and shoe inserts. it worked really well for my feet, but the pain never went away in my knees. I just got told I would grow out of it as this was all caused mostly by growing too fast.
considering I haven't grown that much since I was 12.. and the pain in my knees, hips and feet got worse, I went back. she said something like my knee moves out place, which consequently puts more strain on my hips & my feet.. I was referred for physio there and I will be going to see them this upcoming monday actually!!

I think you are suffering from chondromalacia patella.
It is a condition in which there is swelling, softening, and erosion of the articular cartilage on the undersurface of the patella.
It is more common in women as women wear heels, and heels are one of the leading causes of muscle imbalances.
Please consult a physio, as he will suggest proper exercise protocol along with the dose. Try to follow the exercises on a daily basis or consistently.

Back