• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When your OH isn't as into rabbits as you are!

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi.

Does anyone else find that this is the case? And often a problem?

Most of the time my dh tolerates the rabbits and can sometimes be found giving them a fuss. But there's definitely times when he's frustrated by them and they can be a source of disagreements or mentioned during disagreements (even if it wasn't about them to begin with).

I'm constantly reminded that they are 'my rabbits', no one wants to help (I can manage, but it would be nice occasionally). Also, we currently have one rabbit in our bedroom and one in my dd's bedroom which means that we have gates on the doors and usually hay everywhere.

We've recently started trusting Blossom to have the run of our bedroom, but she will follow you around and try to grab your leg, so this generates complaints too.

Generally they make life that bit more complicated. I wouldn't be without them, but I'm not sure everyone else is as enthusiastic x

Hi.

Does anyone else find that this is the case? And often a problem?

Most of the time my dh tolerates the rabbits and can sometimes be found giving them a fuss. But there's definitely times when he's frustrated by them and they can be a source of disagreements or mentioned during disagreements (even if it wasn't about them to begin with).

I'm constantly reminded that they are 'my rabbits', no one wants to help (I can manage, but it would be nice occasionally). Also, we currently have one rabbit in our bedroom and one in my dd's bedroom which means that we have gates on the doors and usually hay everywhere.

We've recently started trusting Blossom to have the run of our bedroom, but she will follow you around and try to grab your leg, so this generates complaints too.

Generally they make life that bit more complicated. I wouldn't be without them, but I'm not sure everyone else is as enthusiastic x

My boyfriend's good at saying oh yea let's get another rabbit and another oh and this and that... But not so good at actually looking after them and making sure he fully understands the animals requirements [emoji38] I'm here to care for them though and will never give them up - even if I wasn't the one who wanted them[emoji38]

I guess not all people want that level of disruption from an animal? I know for a fact my dad would love another dog, but my mum's said no because she just doesn't want to deal with the mess and impact. She likes dogs but it's not enough for her to ever want one. Whereas I'll turn my life upside down to accommodate an animal that needs a home - maybe talk to him about it? Say its bothering you? Find out where he's really at away from him bringing it up in an argument. (I hate that btw In my head I'm like 'stay on topic, don't just throw this in now because we're arguing' [emoji38]) x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My OH says he is not "into" rabbits and that they are mine - but I have to hide the treats from HIM or he gives them too many!

I'm not sure where my OH stands with the buns.

We got them together as a joint decision so there would never be a "well you're the one who wanted them".

The do annoy him when they eat wires etc but I know he does love them. He always gives them breakfast, normally gives them dinner, always on the floor talking to them or stroking them.

I however am always having the clean their room :/

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think it's just the same with anything though, if we had cats or dogs, one person in the relationship is always more enthusiastic than the other. I went through a very stressful period at work, many years ago, I had to work 12 hours a day in a place 25 miles from home, and had a horse who lived 7 miles from me in the opposite direction from work. I would come home absolutely knackered, and my OH, who wasn't working at the time, would say 'I'll come and help you muck out, etc' but all he did when we got there was feed all the other horses with my Extra Strong mints while I mucked out, filled haynets/waterbuckets/made up feeds, then he would go and get her from the field. Also, while I'm on a rant, we had several cats at the time (I'm not a cat person) and he would love them, fuss them, feed them, but it was always me who washed their bowls, cleaned up vomit from the carpet (theirs, not mine :lol:) took them to the vets, etc. Ok, I've got that off my chest................and breathe!

When I lived with my son he was very unkeen on all the small animals, although he would look after them when I went away.

I am now living with my Mother who is charmed by them but not overly attached. It is very nice being with someone who is positive about them and interested in them if only for my sake.

One of my definite favourite things about my OH is he loves our bunnies to bits & is always responsive to their needs (though stays out of cleaning out, tidying up, nail trims & medicating). He just moved things about on the window sil so the sun wouldn't be in joeys eyes :lol: (they are all sun bathing under the table).

I think living with rabbits would drive me nuts if I didn't love rabbits ...but I really can't imagine not loving rabbits

My OH is not really an animal person at all. He would be just as happy without any at all. They're all mine and I do all the care. That's fine as he agreed to me getting more (I had some of them when we met) on that basis. He does tend to feed the cats but I do all the other furries. Amazingly he agreed to my 6th rabbit ( got yesterday) on the proviso that I bond the new one with the others. So a maximum of 2 set ups. He helps me with building hutches etc and does open the runaround tunnels in the morning. So I'm happy with that. For a non animal person, he is amazingly tolerant of my animal madness. I have to reign in my rabbit talk sometimes (which is fine now Ive found RU) so I don't become a bore. He does give them snacks sometimes so I think he quite likes them really.
All in all, he is great to put up with my love of rabbits ❤️😀 X

It's interesting to read everyone's responses :)

He said this morning that he does love Blossom, but finds it difficult when he can't walk around the room easily or open the wardrobe etc. He had to dive onto the bed last night because she was chasing him :lol:

To be fair, he puts up with a lot and has been ok with me taking over the garden, I think it's just having them inside too x

I think you have to love rabbits to really put up with them, especially indoors and even more so in a bedroom. I am single so don't have this problem, in fact I would find it very difficult to live with someone who didn't share my passion. Alan, who used to help me in the garden for over 10 years never once spoke to my rabbits and he would never hold one for claws etc. So I know how he feels about them, he has a dog!

It's interesting to read everyone's responses :)

He said this morning that he does love Blossom, but finds it difficult when he can't walk around the room easily or open the wardrobe etc. He had to dive onto the bed last night because she was chasing him :lol:

To be fair, he puts up with a lot and has been ok with me taking over the garden, I think it's just having them inside too x

I'd love to have seen that! :lol:

My OH originally didn't want bunnies and said they didn't have personalities! Shock

So I borrowed my friends bun for a week whilst she was on hol and my OH fell in love with this bun and realised how wrong he was.

A lot of research and 2 weeks later we got Archie and Pip and my OH is just as smitten as I am 2 years later. Haha.

I often find him talking to them, giving them treats, snuzzling them (he thinks they smell delicious) & playing tunnels with them.

Currently Pip is sat on his back!

I am the one who cleans them out, but he does help Hoover sometimes. But he gives them their pellets at breakfast and supper. He likes to watch them go bonkers when we open the bag!

I am the one who takes them to the vets though, and who sorts medicine etc. Only because he worries he'll do something wrong.

It would definitely be hard if he didn't love them as much because they live in our lounge!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Mine isn't really in to the rabbits and he doesn't want more (which is fine, neither do I!) but he'll do basic things to help out with them and he'll give them the odd cuddle. He's not a fan of them as a species but he cares about mine because I do which is more than I expect of him really!

Mine isn't really in to the rabbits and he doesn't want more (which is fine, neither do I!) but he'll do basic things to help out with them and he'll give them the odd cuddle. He's not a fan of them as a species but he cares about mine because I do which is more than I expect of him really!

I think that's fair enough then.

Back