• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rabbits feel the cold?

anparkinson

New Kit
Our mini lop Mac spends the nights inside in a hutch in the conservatory (which cools to about 7 - 10 degrees in this cold weather) and has the run of the garden in the day with a hutch he can hop in and out of. The outside hutch has an insulated room and open area. In this cold snowy weather he never uses the room and sits either outside in the wind or in the open area of the hutch. We put a microwave heated pad in the open area but he pushes it in the corner and sits away from it.

Yesterday it was well below zero but the sun was shining and he chose to sit outside in the shade.

If you asked my rabbit, the answer is no :lol:

He's currently sat covered in snow. I've tried to make a cover but he hates it. I've tried to make him sit out of the snow, no chance. If you provide options, I wouldn't worry :) You will worry, I can almost guarantee, but you can't argue with a stubborn bun.

My four have a heated shed with 24/7 access to a run. Yesterday it was cold and windy and they all sat outside at different times. The wind blew their fur around but they seemed perfectly contented.

In the wild they have lovely warm deep burrows to go to so I guess as long as they have a warm dry draught proof area they are fine!

As others have said, options are the key and you're doing those! Mine have been foraging out in the snow today, sleeping on their relatively exposed windowsill, or bouncing about in another snowy area! They've a lovely snuggly carrier stuffed with hay and a snugglesafe heat pad but they tend to avoid it once they've eaten all the good hay :lol:

Back