• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing hay outside

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone keep their hay outside, and if so what do you keep it in?

I’ve always had a shed to keep it in :lol:

I was thinking a bin of some kind, but not sure how it would last in an airtight container

You can buy all sorts of garden crates. We have had several over the years, and currently have one to put parcels in. You need spend a fair bit to get one that's weather-proof though, even though most of them say they are.

Some people on here use wheelie bins I think. I keep mine in a shed so I’m not much help :lol:

I use wheely bins. The standard 240 litre ones take a standard bale. Keep them in the shade or the hay will sweat, and don't keep it in plastic bags unless it has room to breathe (again, it will sweat and encourage moulds to grow).

Ok cool, I will check out wheelie bins. I looked at those little plastic garden shed things, but I live in the middle of a forest and don’t have any flat ground to stand something like that on

I live in the shade. I literally live next to where that twilight story was set, and I’ve been told it was set there because of the lack of sunlight here :lol:

The plastic storage sheds should be OK as well, if you can make a piece of ground flat enough for the base. Access to the hay would be much easier.

I would struggle to make a flat area, it really is forest with fallen branches and trees on the floor and ferns all over the place

It’s ok though, a wheelie bin should work, thanks for the help :wave:

Back