• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gandalf's pulled his stitches out....

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Gandalf was neutered on Friday, and was fine yesterday, but when I checked him today he has pulled his stitches out. He doesn't appear to be bleeding but is there anything I can do?? I'm just worried he's in loads of pain :(

He's going to the vets tomorrow and is on baytril at the mo as there were some complications.

Also is his chances of getting an infection going to increase?

Oh Amelia I am very sorry to hear this :?

How is the area where the stitches were looking..does it look sore or nicely pink and healed up?
Is the wound open or is the skin holding firm

I would just keep the area clean and dry for now if you are going to the Vets tomorrow.
How is Gandalf in himself?Is he eating alright, as that is a good gauge of pain...I do not think he should be in great pain, uncomfortable perhaps.

He needs to see the Vet at your earliest opportunity though, as open wounds especially are prone to infection, as I am sure you are aware.
The baytril should help in the meantime though.

Was he neutered via his abdomen or the sack around his testicles? If its the later then it should be ok if he's on ab's anyway. Does he have a big hole or is he just missing the stitches?

Tam

He was done 2 days ago so the wound is looking sore and think it's open.

I've got him on vet bed at the mo. He looking miserable but is eating and drinking and hopping around :(

I'm trying not to disturb him too much as he is still a bit wary of me as we've only had him a couple of weeks and I don't want to stress him out even more :(

He was done on the sack around his testicles I think - he still has two sacs though :roll: It just looks very different to when Mr B was done but Gandalf is older than Mr B was.

I've just had another look and there is still one stitch in there.. it looks like it has closed more than when I last looked at him (earlier on today)

Just make sure it stays clean which it sounds like your doing by keeping him on vetbed and it should heal up fine. The sacks gradually shrink as they heal.

If it's any comfort, male cats (even grown-up ones) don't get any stitches at all when they're neutered... so I am sure he will be OK til tomorrow if you keep an eye on it!

And yes, the "suitcases" eventually disappear once they've been unpacked! :lol:

Thanks everyone, I've turned into such a panicker recently! My main concern was that he was in lots of pain.

I was wondering about the size of his sacs as well as they seem big :?

Hi

Sorry, for some reason my internet has packed up at home! Gandalf is much better thanks, he's still making regular trips to the vets and is still on baytril and metacam, but his wound is looking much better :)

The next problem is going to be winning his confidence as at the moment he is terrified of us after all this :(

Back