• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Panacur and anaesthesia

Elliegirl

Young Bun
I have a dwarf rabbit 1yr old, rescue. The vets have put him on panacur and as such are saying they cant now vaccinate him or neuter him now until 2 weeks after his panacur is finished. It's complicated but they have put him on a 28 day course for a head tilt he doesn't have.......? As a VN its news to me and he is IMO a fit, well, active bun. We are having lots of issues with these vets and lots of what they do is questionable. This is currently being reviewed. As I say its complicated and I can't go into it too much.

Basically my question is-

Has anyone else heard of not being able to neuter/vaccinate whilst being wormed with a course of panacur when in 100% health?

I have a dwarf rabbit 1yr old, rescue. The vets have put him on panacur and as such are saying they cant now vaccinate him or neuter him now until 2 weeks after his panacur is finished. It's complicated but they have put him on a 28 day course for a head tilt he doesn't have.......? As a VN its news to me and he is IMO a fit, well, active bun. We are having lots of issues with these vets and lots of what they do is questionable. This is currently being reviewed. As I say its complicated and I can't go into it too much.

Basically my question is-

Has anyone else heard of not being able to neuter/vaccinate whilst being wormed with a course of panacur when in 100% health?

Yes, although the Rabbit has been on Panacur for a reason. Some Vets will advise giving a prophylactic course of Panacur when a new Rabbit is obtained. This may especially apply in a Rescue setting.

But as with so many issues relating to EC Vets seem to have differing opinions on this x

But why not get him neutered and vaccinated whilst on panacur? In mall my years of rescue I have never heard that one before and wondered if anyone else has? He is 100% and has no headtilt even when you watch him for minutes at a time......

But why not get him neutered and vaccinated whilst on panacur? In mall my years of rescue I have never heard that one before and wondered if anyone else has? He is 100% and has no headtilt even when you watch him for minutes at a time......

This is an old post (hence the outdated advice about vaccination protocol) from an Exotics Vet, Marie Kubiak

The normal routine is to start vaccines at 8-10 weeks so they are definitely old enough to start and the sooner they can be protected the better :) We do myyxomatosis vaccine first then two weeks later give the VHD vaccine.
The 28 day panacur course is to treat for a protozoal parasite called E. cuniculi and is the main reason to give the antiparasitic medication as worms are not a common problem in rabbits. I like to leave at least 5 days after the second vaccination before starting the 28 day course as the medication can reduce the immune system's response to a vaccine if they are given close together.
I would talk to your vet and get them checked over thoroughly before any treatment though if one has had health problems as if they are unwell at vaccination then vaccine efficiency can be affected.
Marie

It is suggested that Fenbendazole can impact on bone marrow production, hence effecting the immune system. Although some studies have shown this does not seem to apply with Rabbits. Perhaps your Vets are erring on the side of caution ?

Sorry I am not of much help, but without knowing why the Vet is of the opinion that the Rabbit has a head tilt when you have seen no indication of this I can only speculate on it all x

Last edited:

I would definitely query this with your vets. You obviously have a lot of knowledge yourself, and have found other stuff they do rather questionable?

Back