• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

carpet chewing!

Noah is being a nightmare at the moment. whilst I am at work he is chewing corners of the carpet! he's already caused such a mess I have barricade it many times and I've finally perfected and now he's doing it random sides of the carpet. I've made him a tunnel thing so he can hide in places and go in and out. I bought a grass hutch thing for him and some toys but he just doesn't stop! my room looks a tip cause am trying to put things in places so he doesn't chew! help!!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I know how frustrating this is. Our rabbit Dottie used to live in my dd's bedroom and made a circular hole in the carpet, I'm not sure if it was chewed or dug at. She has since moved outside and another rabbit Spud lives in there now. He's mostly been good, but went through a phase of pulling the carpet up at the edges.

Solutions, hmmm, well they always seem to find a way if they are determined. But we have tried covering the majority of the floor with lino, but gave up eventually because it moved around and tbh looked a bit ridiculous. I've got some carpet tiles, they work quite well and you can dot them around in their favourite chew spots.

I've also discovered that Spud really loves hay tunnels (from Amazon) and will usually takes things out on these instead.

Is it just when you are at work or is it just that you can stop him when you're there?

I will try a hay tunnel see if that helps. thanks !

well when am home he'll go in certain places but I do feel he knows when he's doing something wrong cause when I tell him off he stops and runs away. he doesn't even try and go behind the corner where he's literally caused chaos. one bit I can easy put a new piece of carpet but now he's done it in 2 3 random places we are renting so other than cut pieces of the spare carpet and stick it on I dunno what else I can do.

one the places I felt the pins underneath so am worried with the speed he 'digs' out the carpet he's gonna hurt himself.

I've had his nails cut recently could it be due to that?

We had this when our boys were in the room upstairs living side by side to begin bonding.
Didn’t matter what distractions there were Luther was terrible at carpet “designing”. I used butter apple spray on bits he started on or in corners because that’s what they like best, but the only shop that stocked any stopped! So I had to use 50/50 water to white vinegar. It worked but smells a bit rough.
We ended up putting paving slabs and tiles down to stop him lol!

Sideways cardboard boxes are often good so they can tear up the “floor”.
c2b19f726b56ee2f453634560908b68f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had this when our boys were in the room upstairs living side by side to begin bonding.
Didn’t matter what distractions there were Luther was terrible at carpet “designing”. I used butter apple spray on bits he started on or in corners because that’s what they like best, but the only shop that stocked any stopped! So I had to use 50/50 water to white vinegar. It worked but smells a bit rough.
We ended up putting paving slabs and tiles down to stop him lol!

Sideways cardboard boxes are often good so they can tear up the “floor”.
c2b19f726b56ee2f453634560908b68f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oh woah. my carpet looks atrocious! can't wait for the weather to open up so I can take him outside, maybe so he can get close to nature

I will try the vinegar and water hopefully it should help!
many thanks

Rabbits dig and chew ... I had indoor rabbits for a while who suddenly started to chew the rug in their pen. After that there was no stopping them. It was great when they moved outside from that point of view. Miss them being indoors though.

If I have them indoors again I will have lino or that fake wood flooring stuff down. IF.

Have you considered moving him outside once it's warmer?

As I mentioned, Dottie was an absolute nightmare inside, but she's now happily living outside with her husbun.

I'm just lucky that Spud is good or I'd have to think about putting him out too. We recently had to bring another bun, Blossom, inside as she was losing lots of weight and thankfully she's not interested in the carpet.

These are a couple of other good chewing distractions; chill and chew mat and Rosewood I Love Forage Cube Treat (both Amazon) x

Last edited:
Viovet and zooplus sell good rabbit things at reasonable prices. I get my chill n chew mats from one of them (cant remember which)!

Back