• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft beds

Alicia

Mama Doe
Angus has a litter tray, a plastic stool to jump on and off and a towel as well as his toys and I’m wondering whether he needs a soft bed as he has nowhere soft to sleep. He sits in his litter tray a lot and sleeps on a rug on the floor but I’m wondering whether he’s uncomfortable. Am I thinking too much into it? Do rabbits mind whether they have a soft bed or not?

I have to admit my bunnies love soft beds, especially Joey & Mouse (Boo makes herself comfy anywhere). The issue is they also love to wee on soft beds. I use my old bedding so it can be easily washed - they are currently snoozing on an old quilt cover folded lots of times with a fleece on top. This is located at the opposite side of the room to the litter tray- I've found the greater the distance from the toilet zone the less likely it is to be christened. I wouldn't waste money on buying one but improvise with what you have & see how they behave

Mine don’t have a soft bed, they sleep on top of one of their hides (usually the 3 of them squeezed on top of the smallest hide, would make too much sense to use the bigger hide or actually go inside them apparently!). I have tried them with beds and they use them as a litter tray. I feel sorry for my girl as she is actually fine with soft things but the boys pee / poo on them and have a good nibble so I tend not to use them.

I can't believe I wrote I wouldn't waste money on a new bed...I've wasted loads & I'm in danger of wasting more. I wouldn't advise it perhaps

If they seem to prefer lying on softer things like the rug then I'd give it a go. When I give my rabbits soft beds they like to dig at them/move them out of the way and sleep on the hard surface below :roll:

Aldi are having a special on pets this week, I have just bought my boys the small bed (its washable) for £7.99. Dillon loves something soft to lie on. Unfortunately I also got the extra large for jess dog and Dillon keeps getting in with her - Jess is very very old I hope she does not roll on Dillon.

I first gave Lola a soft bed. I had it custom made and she liked it for a while, snuggling next to it not actually in it :lol: and grooming it which eventually turned into eating it :shock: so I had to take it away and then neither of her sisters were ever given one. I don't think they mind not having one.

I make Cookie a round nest out of hay and she loves sitting in the middle of that to snuggle. My bridge bunny Frankie used to make them herself with long tunnels, but Cookie seems to take to man made ones really well!

Clementine has never had one.. But she's quite destructive.. So I probably wouldn't try it - Atticus loves soft beds never chews them, grooms them and adores them, same for Fleur :) just depends on your bunnies I guess

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

My lot wee on and chew anything soft. This included the rug (eventually) in their house rabbit days.

They now live in a shed with a doorless hutch and three hay filled litter trays. Lino on the floor.

Willow likes sitting on her snugglesafe, even when it's stone cold. I'm sure a nice tray full of Fitch and hay would be more comfortable, but apparently not.

It depends on the bunny I’ve found. Dandy, my half wildie used to take the fleece down the runaround pipe , gather it up and hump it :shock::lol: the rest of the quad would wee on anything soft! Both my indoor bunnies have liked soft beds but also both liked to flop on hard floor too!

Vet bed is good. It wicks any urine away from the top so they don't end up sleeping on a wet surface and you can pop it in the washing machine. For indoor buns it's worth putting some sort of plastic sheeting on the floor first to protect the flooring underneath I found that cutting a square of pound shop shower curtain did the job. Although you should stop using immediately if your bun decides to make a meal of either the vet bed or the plastic.

We are fans of ikea beds here. I just fold up some nice fleece blankets and they will sleep on them!
e20df1a6602905799333b8257c500289.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Back