• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Successful Rescue-Pet Shop Partnership!

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
You may have read about the www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/9081603.htm%3F1c+petco+adoption+house+rabbit&hl=en]rescues in the US that teamed up with the local PetCo[/url] (equivilent of Pets at Home) awhile back.

I recently contacted the HRS which organised it to find out how they got on and apparentely its been a success! Instead of PetCo selling approx 100 rabbits they have sold 0 and instead helped adopt out 27 rescue rabbits! They have also seen a reduction in rabbits coming into shelters.

They have kindly offered to post me the information pack they provide rescues who want to start up a similar scheme so I can pass it on to UK rescues.

Here are a few details though....

Part of what makes our program unique is that we take rabbits to the stores & they live their 24/7. We train the store on how to properly care for them, and then the store is responsible for their daily needs. We have volunteers that pass through the stores randomly, at least once a week, to verify everything is being done correctly. The advantage of this set up is it essentially provides additional cage space for the shelters. The store personell even exercise the rabbits daily during the hour prior to store open when they are cleaning animal enclosures.

We provide the store with "adoption kits" that are two-pocket folders with our application as well as rabbit behavior & care information. The store employees are responsible for handing out the kits and faxing in applications as they are completed. The applicants go home with this kit full of reading materials, so they can learn while they await our contact for an interview. That is all the involvement the pet store has with the adoption process. The entire decision making process is controlled by us. (which is exactly the way we wanted it)

If we could organise similar schemes between UK rescues and petshops this could really help reduce the number of rabbits that are brought and later handed to rescues and also increase the number of rabbits adopted.

Tamsin

Tams - Wouldn't it be great if this could work in the U.K

Similar line to the "Parntership" idea we chatted about when the Forum first started but I have to confess it didn't cross my mind about the idea of substituteing the Pet Shop bunnies with Rescues.

What really refreshing about this idea is the regulation put in place remains good throughout the scheme - i.e - "adoption kits" and potential interview with "would be adoptee's" - If folks are happy to go through this whole process before they can have a bunny you would think there would be a good chance they are serious about it and have thought it through.

It would be interesting to get some views from Pet shops and Rescues to see how they feel about this.

Over and Out

This is so good :D :D

As you all know Annie and I are holding RWA stalls at Pets at Home (first one this Saturday) so hopefully that will be the first of many and who knows where it might lead.......

Jules said:
This is so good :D :D

As you all know Annie and I are holding RWA stalls at Pets at Home (first one this Saturday) so hopefully that will be the first of many and who knows where it might lead.......

Which Pets @ Home? If it's not to far, I'll bring you a coffee.
Have fun ladies :)

Jules said:
Pets At Home - Andover Hampshire.

A coffe would be great :lol: :lol:

Cool I'll ask Hubby.
It's a BIT far to drive from Gatwick but we gotta support our sisters in arms right?
Besides, I "need" some more rabbit toys. :lol:

I am really surprised that this topic has not received more comment than it has?

With all the anti pet shop comments on here I thought that it would be good news and welcomed.

It is not good news for breeders! Is it not good news for re-homers?

Am I missing something?

Why is this not "good news"

A certain charity has already tried this and at least one pet shop has been offering bonded pairs for rehoming they do not otherwise sell pets. You should all try this its a great idea to start with. Contact your local pet shops and ask if they would be willing to help. val

Surely this would be a great PR stunt for P@H if nothing else. There are obvious disadvantages to it from their point of view. No more cute little babies, potential owners getting a good talking to rather than being sent home with an impulse buy. But they make most of their money from selling accessories and supplies, and this is the sort of thing that could tempt people back to the store that currently boycott it due to their animal sales policy.

It gives them a big feel good factor and they get to cover the store with news of their Great Works. They might lose a few sales (the exact sort of sales you'd want to stop) but overall I think it'd be quite good for business once word got around.

My friend owns a pet shop in South London. After selling two litters of rabbits years ago and finding it very hard to find suitable owners (she doesn't just sell to anyone), she has decided to sell no more rabbits. Instead, she refers people that are really serious to a local rescue organisation. This also goes for hamsters, rats, gerbils etc. and this arrangement has turned into a very successful relationship! Something that more pet shops should try!

Hiya Tamsin, have you received the packs and information from the States yet? . This is a superb idea and lets hope a similar scheme can be set up in the Uk very soon :D

Nope not yet :( They are having to make more and then they have to travel all the way from there to here so a bit longer yet I think. I can't wait to read the info either :D

Tam

Tamsin said:
Nope not yet :( They are having to make more and then they have to travel all the way from there to here so a bit longer yet I think. I can't wait to read the info either :D

Tam

Oh Poop, and here I was thinking they must have arrived by now, but no! not even printed yet :? ...how could they get us all excited like that, then leave us on tenterhooks :shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lo

A problem that I can see with this is that pet shops make a good part of their money from selling hutches to people, and most of their hutches are unacceptably small. Not all, but most. They may not be happy with even more of their customers being put off by having a rescue insist they buy a more expensive hutch.

It may be that they would like to sell more of their bigger hutches - my local P@H have a new range of larger hutches, but the question would be whether they would be willing to accept fewer better sales instead of the impulse buys they get at present.

Hopefully good publicity would add to the positive side.

Back