• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Elsa-U/D 10th July RIP- The Last Post

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For those of you who may be interested I thought I had better start posting Elsa updates in the appropriate sub forum rather than in 'General Chat' :)

Today there is still some pus being produced from her abscessed wound :cry: However, the amount coming out during each flushing is reducing significantly ever day. The swelling is much smaller now too and the thickened stem under the abscess is also much smaller and softer. Elsa is tolerating all the treatment so well and she will eat treats during it all :love: We will continue with the daily wound flushing and packing with manuka honey and a decision about further surgery will be made on Friday. She will also remain on abx and Metacam.

I cant imagine the late dear little Eliza Doolittle tolerating a fraction of what Elsa is putting up with. Eliza may have been a tiny Bunny but did not suffer fools (Me!!) gladly and she absolutely loathed any hands on care. I do miss the feisty wee Bunny :cry:

Last edited:
Eliza was such a character, that you'll always miss her. Great news that Elsa's abscess seems to be responding to treatment and that she is coping so well with it too x

Aw bless, you have adopted a poorly bun? I'm pleased her abscess is responding well, she is a good girl taking her treatment so well, my Noodley was like that

I’m glad that Elsas abscess seems to be responding to treatment:thumb: I am sure you will always miss Eliza, they are all so special:love:

Aw bless, you have adopted a poorly bun? I'm pleased her abscess is responding well, she is a good girl taking her treatment so well, my Noodley was like that

Well technically I guess I am 'Fostering' her but she wont be going back to ARC any time soon !! ARC are completely swamped with Rabbits, they took in 43 'Meat Rabbits', Elsa being one of them. Numerous Does amongst them are on pregnancy watch, including Elsa :cry: Now that Elsa is here it frees up a space for ARC.

Well technically I guess I am 'Fostering' her but she wont be going back to ARC any time soon !! ARC are completely swamped with Rabbits, they took in 43 'Meat Rabbits', Elsa being one of them. Numerous Does amongst them are on pregnancy watch, including Elsa :cry: Now that Elsa is here it frees up a space for ARC.

how lovely :love: I don't mean to be cheeky but I reckon the chances of a foster becoming an adoption are quite high ;) Many well wishes for Elsa

It is great to hear that Elsa is responding well to your love and care and her wound is clearing up. I've done abscess cleaning for a couple of my bridge buns and there is a sense of satisfaction from knowing that you are making them better. It's uncomfortable for the rabbits but I think they know, deep down, that what you are doing is making a massive difference to them and I am convinced they understand that. Bravo to you.

I was hopeless as a fosterer too :oops:

It is so much easier when you have a bun who is OK with hands on care. I am lucky mine have always tolerated it without too much stress. Fran does not like being bathed but she soon recovers when I wrap her in a towel and cuddle her. I hated having to deal with my buns' and cats' abscesses. It looked so painful for them and I am a bit squeamish too.

It sounds like you and Elsa are winning though, Jane. Topping up the vibes for her to recover completely and to not be pregnant. How much longer do you have to wait to find out? I remember being on pregnancy watch with Hannah hamster who I fostered for ARC (another example of my failed fostering) and she suddenly appeared much thinner and the nest was moving. Hopefully, Elsa won't be kindling. She has been through so much already.

Last edited:
Sending vibes for Elsa. My bridge bun Willow had an abscess, it was a long process but she recovered from that eventually.
I'd be hopeless as a fosterer. Ive already got 5 and I'm already looking at another in a rescue...

I was hopeless as a fosterer too :oops:

It is so much easier when you have a bun who is OK with hands on care. I am lucky mine have always tolerated it without too much stress. Fran does not like being bathed but she soon recovers when I wrap her in a towel and cuddle her. I hated having to deal with my buns' and cats' abscesses. It looked so painful for them and I am a bit squeamish too.

It sounds like you and Elsa are winning though, Jane. Topping up the vibes for her to recover completely and to not be pregnant. How much longer do you have to wait to find out? I remember being on pregnancy watch with Hannah hamster who I fostered for ARC (another example of my failed fostering) and she suddenly appeared much thinner and the nest was moving. Hopefully, Elsa won't be kindling. She has been through so much already.

About another 2 weeks . We dont want to palpate her uterus as it would be painful due to the wound on her abdomen xx

About another 2 weeks . We dont want to palpate her uterus as it would be painful due to the wound on her abdomen xx

Fingers crossed she isn't pregnant, gorgeous though baby bunnies are. I very much doubt that Elsa will be going to another home somehow :love:

I hope that Elsa continues to improve. I'm really hoping that she and also the others are not pregnant.

It really goes to demonstrate how these situations can so very quickly get completely out of hand. It doesn't bear thinking about just how many more rabbits there could have been once the 27 babies became of age and started to have large litters :shock:

Back