• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insence sticks?

I don't believe so. Synthetic scented things aren't safe for any humans or animals, and the smaller the human/animal or the more delicate their respiratory system, the worst it is. So bunnies, birds, rats, mice, hamsters, etc it's particularly bad for.

I don't believe so. Synthetic scented things aren't safe for any humans or animals, and the smaller the human/animal or the more delicate their respiratory system, the worst it is. So bunnies, birds, rats, mice, hamsters, etc it's particularly bad for.
Does this apply to candles too? Eek we are candle mad here... Altho they aren't scented

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Does this apply to candles too? Eek we are candle mad here... Altho they aren't scented

Well there are safe candles out there but most aren't...So you want non-scented, and a wick made from safe material like cotton or paper, and the wax should also be 100% soy or beeswax etc. Avoid paraffin.

I've heard though that by law candle wicks in the US should be made from paper/cotton/hemp but a large portion still contain heavy metals like lead, which is really worrying and wrong that people are unknowingly exposing themselves to airborne lead, when by law that shouldn't be happening. Stupid cheap candle manufacturers.

There are also safe scents like pure essential oils (EO), so an alternative to incense sticks would be safe candles that are scented with EO, or use an EO diffuser.

But even with EO I think it's best to use caution and use them in a pet-free room. I mean, some pets benefit from aromatherapy for anxiety and such (that's what Pet Remedy etc is) but on the other hand there are EO that aren't safe to breathe in much of due to the high phenols that can be damaging to the respiratory system. So it's something to research before using, see if the oils you have are high phenol, see how much you should dilute etc. Certain animals are particularly sensitive to high phenols - this is well known with cats because of the way their liver functions as opposed to ours. We've got a higher tolerance because our liver will filter out phenols (while cats can get a toxic buildup) and our respiratory system isn't as delicate either.

There's also other stuff in EO that isn't safe for cats at the very least (I read about this stuff on a cat forum or something I think, so the focus was on cats, but it's not great for bunnies either probably). I think it's called monoterpene hydrocarbons, it's some kind of organic compound found in a lot of plants like citrus, pine, fir, etc.

Well there are safe candles out there but most aren't...So you want non-scented, and a wick made from safe material like cotton or paper, and the wax should also be 100% soy or beeswax etc. Avoid paraffin.

I've heard though that by law candle wicks in the US should be made from paper/cotton/hemp but a large portion still contain heavy metals like lead, which is really worrying and wrong that people are unknowingly exposing themselves to airborne lead, when by law that shouldn't be happening. Stupid cheap candle manufacturers.

There are also safe scents like pure essential oils (EO), so an alternative to incense sticks would be safe candles that are scented with EO, or use an EO diffuser.

But even with EO I think it's best to use caution and use them in a pet-free room. I mean, some pets benefit from aromatherapy for anxiety and such (that's what Pet Remedy etc is) but on the other hand there are EO that aren't safe to breathe in much of due to the high phenols that can be damaging to the respiratory system. So it's something to research before using, see if the oils you have are high phenol, see how much you should dilute etc. Certain animals are particularly sensitive to high phenols - this is well known with cats because of the way their liver functions as opposed to ours. We've got a higher tolerance because our liver will filter out phenols (while cats can get a toxic buildup) and our respiratory system isn't as delicate either.

There's also other stuff in EO that isn't safe for cats at the very least (I read about this stuff on a cat forum or something I think, so the focus was on cats, but it's not great for bunnies either probably). I think it's called monoterpene hydrocarbons, it's some kind of organic compound found in a lot of plants like citrus, pine, fir, etc.

This is a very well informed answer William. I am extremely anti as regards anything which gives off fumes, even if they smell nice. As far as rabbits are concerned, as animals which live by smell, it must be so unpleasant to have an unnatural smell in the air all the time.

Wow thanks this is super helpful :) not sure what the candles are that're currently used as they're not mine, but that's very interesting

I agree with this totally.

Back