• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weeing outside litter tray

Alicia

Mama Doe
Angus uses his litter tray well but sometimes he wees over the edge of it, it’s only in one corner of the tray that he does this but when he wees in other corners of the tray he doesn’t wee over the edge. Would getting a taller litter tray help? He already has a cat litter tray I’m not sure if I can find a higher one

Plastic storage boxes (e.g. underbed storage from Homebase or similar) usually have much higher sides than cat litter trays. Or you could try one of those hooded litter trays?

A taller one should help, but there's a risk he might not use it if it's too high as it'll be harder for him to jump in/out. In my boy's base I use a litter tray that has a removable rim around it so they cant back right up to the very edge of the tray (the rim also stops the boys ripping up the litter tray bags which makes cleaning sooo much easier). If it doesn't happen that often could you just put a puppy pad around it?

It happens quite often, I put newspaper around it but I’ve just popped home to check on him and he’s weed all up the wall too :( he sort of lifts his bum to go over it so I wonder if he’d do this with a litter tray that had a rim on it too. I could try a hooded litter tray but he’s only got a crate (he’s let out whenever someone’s home so is only really shut in at night) and I worry it would take up too much space. It’s so frustrating because apart from this he’s perfect with his litter tray.

He is perfect with his litter tray, this is just a litter tray malfunction :)

I only use underbed storage boxes as all mine would wee over the edge of the cat litter trays. Bunnies bodies are totally different from cat bodies. So I would say an underbed storage box and maybe a puppy pen extension and/or a shelf in his crate if his area would be big enough for that?

Back