• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Las Vegas dump site bunnies

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
These poor sweet babies have gone over the rainbow bridge :cry: They have been massacred by the government :cry:
I have no words and all I can say is that my heart goes out to every single person that has devoted their time and effort to save them. They must be devastated.
x

:( the government disgusts me more and more lately. Seems they're really into massacres. The human and animal kinds. Such a disregard for life :(

There is a small glimmer of hope. Volunteers are out picking up all the remaining bunnies but a lot have been lost.
Killing them doesn't solve the problem though. People will still buy them and still find a place to dump them when they no longer want them. That's what the government need to be focusing on :(
I wish I'd never seen the video of those poor babies. It will be playing on my mind for a long time to come.

It's like with feral cats isn't it, except rabbits breed a lot faster. I imagine a lot of them were the result of them breeding. They could've fixed the rabbit problem while it was still small, before it became a large problem by doing trap, neuter, release which is the only thing that works with feral cats.

Alternately the city couldve tried finding somewhere to place them after neutering, as is done with feral cats sometimes. Im sure there wouldve been people with private acres of land that wouldve taken neutered bunnies. They wouldve been out of public eye then, so no more dumping grounds.

I haven't heard of a large population anywhere else in the country so I don't think the focus really needed to be on people dumping. Sure, it might've happened after people saw so many rabbits there and got the idea that that was a good dumping ground. But it never should have gotten to that point.

I'm glad people have rounded up some of the last of them. It shows though that people were willing to help (I know people have in the past too, and tried to get help from the city for neutering them) but the city ignored them. Decided it'd be easier/cheaper just to round them up and kill them, problem solved. Surely Las Vegas isn't a poor city, but they've got a homeless rabbit and people problem :?

This makes me heartsick :cry:

Poor helpless wee souls...may you have found Paradise where no further harm can come to you.

And may those who did this to you find the punishment they deserve. :evil:

This makes me heartsick :cry:

Poor helpless wee souls...may you have found Paradise where no further harm can come to you.

And may those who did this to you find the punishment they deserve. :evil:

I do think the higher ups could've done more if they'd started sooner. But probably whoever actually caught and killed them thought it was for the best. If not for the rabbits themselves than for public health and safety etc...Probably thought that was the only solution. I've heard lots of the rabbits were sick/injured - many of those rescued over the years had fairly expensive vet bills. I can't imagine Las Vegas is in any way a good place for feral bunnies - heat, sun, lack of food/water, coyotes, cars, etc.

I think there's multiple places in LV overrun with rabbits and one of those places is a state mental health facility.. the state thought the patients would enjoy watching rabbits free ranging so they released like 50 unneutered rabbits on the grounds. 50 probably became hundreds in a matter of months. Last I heard there was about 1000 there. So it's not just pet owners that are idiots and think unneutered domestic rabbits can just be released and all will be fine..baffling that people don't know any better. I would hope those rabbits at least were helped by the state considering it's completely their fault they were loose to begin with! They also were likely the ones responsible for people to get the idea to start dumping rabbits all over LV, because while people here and there surely do all over the country I've also never heard of anywhere else with thousands of feral rabbits.

OMG I am bawling my eyes out reading this, I had been following their story every day. Did this just happen over night? Monsters absolute monsters. Poor poor bunnies. :(

I read about this on Facebook last night.

As William said, a few were originally released by the health unit and as a few became hundreds irresponsible owners used it as a dumping ground for unwanted pets.

There were getting on for 1000 but now there's none left apart from around 60 that were saved.

Food poisoned with antifreeze was allegedly left and also it is believed the warrens were gassed or poisoned in some way.

I feel this is as bad, if not worse, than Australia releasing RVHD viruses into the wild rabbit population.

I'm so upset and angry about this. A group "Bunnies matter in Vegas" have been rescuing and looking after these rabbits and I've just seen a bit of heartbreaking video of some of the group collecting the poor little bodies. I had to switch off as couldn't bear it.:cry:

It's not known if it was done 'officially' or some sick individual after a newscast saying the rabbits were out of control, sick and a hazard to human health.

I read about this on Facebook last night.

As William said, a few were originally released by the health unit and as a few became hundreds irresponsible owners used it as a dumping ground for unwanted pets.

There were getting on for 1000 but now there's none left apart from around 60 that were saved.

Food poisoned with antifreeze was allegedly left and also it is believed the warrens were gassed or poisoned in some way.

I feel this is as bad, if not worse, than Australia releasing RVHD viruses into the wild rabbit population.

I'm so upset and angry about this. A group "Bunnies matter in Vegas" have been rescuing and looking after these rabbits and I've just seen a bit of heartbreaking video of some of the group collecting the poor little bodies. I had to switch off as couldn't bear it.:cry:

It's not known if it was done 'officially' or some sick individual after a newscast saying the rabbits were out of control, sick and a hazard to human health.

I didnt know how they were killed. I was assuming it was humane. That's horrible :(

I wonder if it was some sick individual. Seems strange they would've left bodies all over the place if it had been done 'officially'. Collecting the bodies would've been part of the 'job' you would think,because you can't just leave 1000 rotting bodies...

Back