• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wildies

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Saw a local wildie today - my first of the year. So do they eat differently over winter? I only ever see them spring to autumn & want to know what they graze on when its brrrrr outside.

Saw a local wildie today - my first of the year. So do they eat differently over winter? I only ever see them spring to autumn & want to know what they graze on when its brrrrr outside.

My guess would be not a lot, certainly nothing of good quality anyway :( We need Thumps to advise as she used to watch her local Wildies feed :) I haven't seen any round here yet. I guess they will dig up roots, which will be quite nutritious. There won't be much that's green though. Any fallen leaves will be a bit manky by now, although I guess you still have a few Bramble leaves?

Loads of brambles yes (they are well received here in winter as long as they are fresh). Tree roots, the odd bit of grass & dandelion - such slim pickings for the wildies. So they are fair weather grazers maybe ;) At least our bunnies have dried forage, herbs & greens when fresh forage is no more. I don't think they eat inside their warren do they? Do they have reserves of oathay delivered:lol: I'm also surprised I never see them in Winter but maybe they stick to hedgerows & sheltered areas.

Tonibun :wave: have you read the Private Life of Rabbits ? I think I recall you saying so . Do you know about winter diet and feeding patterns?

We went walking near Kettlewell on Friday and I was delighted to follow bunny footprints in the snow! Didn't see the bunnies just their prints.

I think also it won't just be tree roots, but the roots of any perennial wild plant as well. Things like Cow Parsley, which come up year after year, will have quite a large root. My guess is that Wildies will be able to smell where these roots are and dig them up :love:

Back