• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Bunny Hoover?

Truffpuff

Mama Doe
Now I hope you don’t all think I’m a crazy person, but I own two cats and two bunnies and I have hayfeaver allergies. But with hoovering it’s pretty much kept at bay bar maybe some summer days.

We have a vax upright which was kindly donated my the OH mum when we moved in three years ago, I can’t use it! It’s heavy, only does carpet, can’t do stairs and it just fails at sucking even bunny nuggets up! My OH is 100% convinced it’s fantastic and “new”, so after he hoovered Sunday I got him to get on the floor with me and showed him, even pinched the carpet lightly and had balls of hair.

I have decided to just bite the bullet and buy one, please can you advise what you guys have? Do they do the job?
I was looking at an upright shark before which can pull out the base to do stairs....

Requirements preferably, all floor types, not heavy, good on bunny hair and hay bits, and does things a general hoover should! Lastly I don’t have much money so cheaper options if possible x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henry:love: fab at hay, nuggets, poo, dust, anything! Mine has done some sterling work on my house renovation & has been in the family for over 12 years & he was a rescue hoover then :lol: I hope they make him like they used too

Henry:love: fab at hay, nuggets, poo, dust, anything! Mine has done some sterling work on my house renovation & has been in the family for over 12 years & he was a rescue hoover then :lol: I hope they make him like they used too

“Rescue hoover” I love that!!
Oh ok, I hadn’t considered Henry. We had one at the vets I worked in and I hated Henry, but he wasn’t looked after and was wet inside so when you used it the smell of wet musty animal was grosss lol!
Might have to reconsider my relationship with a Henry.....

Does it do good with stairs? Not awkward?

I have to say I've found the Henry the best hoover for house bunnies. Copes with hay and poops really well and really lifts the fur out of the rug when they're having a heavy moult.

Only issues I think are is that it might be more difficult to move up the stairs and not great if you have back problems as you're bent over using it.

If the buns and cats don't go upstairs a lot maybe you could move your current hoover upstairs and have the Henry for downstairs only?

“Rescue hoover” I love that!!
Oh ok, I hadn’t considered Henry. We had one at the vets I worked in and I hated Henry, but he wasn’t looked after and was wet inside so when you used it the smell of wet musty animal was grosss lol!
Might have to reconsider my relationship with a Henry.....

Does it do good with stairs? Not awkward?

Come to think of it he won't do a whole flight of stairs, I have to carry him up for the last few. He is quite labour intensive as a down side, I tend to sweep hay poo & hair in to a pile & hoover that. My last house was quite big (rented) & carpeted throughout - it took a while

I have to say I've found the Henry the best hoover for house bunnies. Copes with hay and poops really well and really lifts the fur out of the rug when they're having a heavy moult.

Only issues I think are is that it might be more difficult to move up the stairs and not great if you have back problems as you're bent over using it.

If the buns and cats don't go upstairs a lot maybe you could move your current hoover upstairs and have the Henry for downstairs only?

Wow I didn’t expect so much Henry love!
I’m definitely going to have to look into Henry I think as a contender.

Oh that’s a genius idea! I hadn’t even thought about having one up one down! No animals are strictly downstairs unless they escape up there or I shut all doors so they just have the landing to run around so that would work fine. Thank you :-D

Come to think of it he won't do a whole flight of stairs, I have to carry him up for the last few. He is quite labour intensive as a down side, I tend to sweep hay poo & hair in to a pile & hoover that. My last house was quite big (rented) & carpeted throughout - it took a while

Well I think SLH’s idea of keeping my vax upstairs because the pets don’t go up there really would solve Henry’s mobility issue.
Yeah I sweep the kitchen every day but it just goes on the rug in there and there’s bunny hair tumble weeds that the vax can’t get to under the table but Henry could. The actual stairs might be an issue but we do have a hand held that I could maybe use for that.

Hhmmm I’m really going to have to look at mr. Henry I think. Thank you :)

Well I think SLH’s idea of keeping my vax upstairs because the pets don’t go up there really would solve Henry’s mobility issue.
Yeah I sweep the kitchen every day but it just goes on the rug in there and there’s bunny hair tumble weeds that the vax can’t get to under the table but Henry could. The actual stairs might be an issue but we do have a hand held that I could maybe use for that.

Hhmmm I’m really going to have to look at mr. Henry I think. Thank you :)

I've just googled him, his big smiley face makes me smile :lol: Periodically he goes on sale at the big supermarkets but I couldn't see any deals just now

I personally am far too lucky... My grandparents gifted me a Dyson V8 when they first came out a couple years ago when I moved into a bigger flat - honestly the best hoover I've ever had and I've had lots of cheap ones and honestly never again [emoji38]

Also my boyfriend is kinda into tech and bought a roomba... Its one of those robot vacuums - at first I was like this is gimmicky but wow its fabulous - it cleans the place everyday whilst I'm out and the bunnies aren't fussed by it at all - it's not very loud so doesn't seem to scare them - whilst it's going around they're all flop sleeping [emoji38] they are quite an investment though and my boyfriend said some of the older cheaper models aren't worth buying.

I've had a Henry in the past though and honestly it a robust hoover with great suction it just depends what you're looking for and how much you want to spend I think xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've just googled him, his big smiley face makes me smile :lol: Periodically he goes on sale at the big supermarkets but I couldn't see any deals just now

Aw thank you for looking that’s really kind.
I looked for second hand hoovers online this morning because I’m suffering quite badly today, and there was some Henry’s. But I’m wondering if it’s better to get it new or not. Yours sounds up to standard though and it was second hand....

Haha he does have a cute face <3

I personally am far too lucky... My grandparents gifted me a Dyson V8 when they first came out a couple years ago when I moved into a bigger flat - honestly the best hoover I've ever had and I've had lots of cheap ones and honestly never again [emoji38]

Also my boyfriend is kinda into tech and bought a roomba... Its one of those robot vacuums - at first I was like this is gimmicky but wow its fabulous - it cleans the place everyday whilst I'm out and the bunnies aren't fussed by it at all - it's not very loud so doesn't seem to scare them - whilst it's going around they're all flop sleeping [emoji38] they are quite an investment though and my boyfriend said some of the older cheaper models aren't worth buying.

I've had a Henry in the past though and honestly it a robust hoover with great suction it just depends what you're looking for and how much you want to spend I think xx

Oooh ok. So if you hadn’t gone for the roomba would you still be using the dyson as your favourite hoover?

I have seen roombas my friend has something very similar for her grass too! I’m not sure it would do well in our house as we have a lot of “stuff” and pet toys etc so I feel much would be missed, plus I might have to part with a kidney to buy it hahaha!

I’m looking for best quality for a reasonable price as I’m currently unemployed while my business sets up. This is what I looked at previously and the price is reasonable and it has a long hose bit, which our vax drives me crazy....it’s so short the vacuum falls over!!
44d98b27361f48c158adf43ecb8a4835.jpg

Oooh ok. So if you hadn’t gone for the roomba would you still be using the dyson as your favourite hoover?

I have seen roombas my friend has something very similar for her grass too! I’m not sure it would do well in our house as we have a lot of “stuff” and pet toys etc so I feel much would be missed, plus I might have to part with a kidney to buy it hahaha!

I’m looking for best quality for a reasonable price as I’m currently unemployed while my business sets up. This is what I looked at previously and the price is reasonable and it has a long hose bit, which our vax drives me crazy....it’s so short the vacuum falls over!!
44d98b27361f48c158adf43ecb8a4835.jpg

Well we use both honestly the roomba goes round and cleans everyday and then I used the Dyson for any clear up - bunny related or general mess - hoovering the sofas, skirting boards etc I'd say you can't just have a roomba.. You need a normal vacuum but the roomba stops you having to hoover so much [emoji38] it's a luxury I never thought I'd have haha

My main concern with vacuums is suction and power I bought a stick one a few years ago which was a good brand and not like super cheap and honestly it was just rubbish never picked up hair from the carpet.

I'd probably go for a Henry if I couldn't get a Dyson now based on having irritating vacuums in the past because I'd be concerned I'd be just buying another one.

It really is a minefield buying a vacuum, but I can be quite fussy [emoji38] Can you go to currys? Some of their big stores have lots of different brands out you can test - feel the weight, how it moves etc then you might be able to find one second hand somewhere? :) just a thought xx

Well we use both honestly the roomba goes round and cleans everyday and then I used the Dyson for any clear up - bunny related or general mess - hoovering the sofas, skirting boards etc I'd say you can't just have a roomba.. You need a normal vacuum but the roomba stops you having to hoover so much [emoji38] it's a luxury I never thought I'd have haha

My main concern with vacuums is suction and power I bought a stick one a few years ago which was a good brand and not like super cheap and honestly it was just rubbish never picked up hair from the carpet.

I'd probably go for a Henry if I couldn't get a Dyson now based on having irritating vacuums in the past because I'd be concerned I'd be just buying another one.

It really is a minefield buying a vacuum, but I can be quite fussy [emoji38] Can you go to currys? Some of their big stores have lots of different brands out you can test - feel the weight, how it moves etc then you might be able to find one second hand somewhere? :) just a thought xx

Haha fair enough! To be honest if I had the money I’d be like Monica from friends with hoovers to hoover the hoovers lol!!

Yeah looked at the stick ones because they are pretty mobile but like you say the size must lack power, plus I think it would fill to quickly. What I quite liked with the pictures of the shark upright is a long hose bit to go under furniture and attachments for the sofa that’s like a mini hoover head, and you leave the base taking the canister off to do stairs. But looking at reviews is hard because so many people complain about random things it’s hard to wade through them all lol!

Is Henry a bagged hoover?

No your totally right, it’s a big mine field. That’s why I thought it would be best to ask real pet owners I trust because there’s just so many types out there now and so many rubbish ones it’s difficult to pick. Yeah that’s a really good idea! I had a sneaky look a few months ago while my OH was getting a tv but if I say I’m buying it he might actually help lol! Xx

People with long-haired-fluff-puff cats swear by Shark. Every model (and there are lots) gets good reviews by them - from the cordless, to stick rocket, to the large uprights.

I have had second or third hand vacuums given to me and ended up using a dustpan and brush as they were so useless. It really hurt my back. Once I liberated some pension money I bought myself a Hetty as I read on here that Henry is good for animal related cleaning and I loved the pink colour of the Hetty. She is awesome. Although she is bagged it takes much longer to fill the bag up than it did in my old vacuum. I have arthritis in my neck, shoulders and knees but I can manage to carry her up the stairs. She copes with hay and cat fur and her smiley face cheers me up. I love my Hetty :love:

Haha fair enough! To be honest if I had the money I’d be like Monica from friends with hoovers to hoover the hoovers lol!!

Yeah looked at the stick ones because they are pretty mobile but like you say the size must lack power, plus I think it would fill to quickly. What I quite liked with the pictures of the shark upright is a long hose bit to go under furniture and attachments for the sofa that’s like a mini hoover head, and you leave the base taking the canister off to do stairs. But looking at reviews is hard because so many people complain about random things it’s hard to wade through them all lol!

Is Henry a bagged hoover?

No your totally right, it’s a big mine field. That’s why I thought it would be best to ask real pet owners I trust because there’s just so many types out there now and so many rubbish ones it’s difficult to pick. Yeah that’s a really good idea! I had a sneaky look a few months ago while my OH was getting a tv but if I say I’m buying it he might actually help lol! Xx

Yesssssss and hoover for your hoover - that's the dream! [emoji38][emoji38]

My Henry had bags, I personally prefer bag less vacuums.

Maybe a tech review website has some reviews on shark models? Might be easier to decide if they're right for you or not compared to user reviews. If you can test one out though I think that's the best way to find out if it's for you :) xx

People with long-haired-fluff-puff cats swear by Shark. Every model (and there are lots) gets good reviews by them - from the cordless, to stick rocket, to the large uprights.

Ahh see that’s good to hear!
Our two cats are half British shorthair which I found out moult a lot, and the two buns floof eeeeverywhere, I also have long hair and moult haha!!

I’m surprised the sticks are just as good so that must mean the brands pretty good! Thank you :)

I swear by my Henry - have had him 10 years now and he just keeps on going. He got a new filter this weekend which made him happy :D But he's only used upstairs where the buns live - we have GTech for down stairs which is great for a quick general maintenance hoover - Henry comes down when we do a deep clean.

I have had second or third hand vacuums given to me and ended up using a dustpan and brush as they were so useless. It really hurt my back. Once I liberated some pension money I bought myself a Hetty as I read on here that Henry is good for animal related cleaning and I loved the pink colour of the Hetty. She is awesome. Although she is bagged it takes much longer to fill the bag up than it did in my old vacuum. I have arthritis in my neck, shoulders and knees but I can manage to carry her up the stairs. She copes with hay and cat fur and her smiley face cheers me up. I love my Hetty :love:

Ahh ok. So they are easy to move around then, and it’s good to know about stairs because that’s something that unfortunately hardly gets done here because our vax is a fixed upright.

Also good you’ve tested and had success with hay and pet fluff. Haha they are cute little hoovers!!
Thank you :)

Back