• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Treats?

Natalie

Warren Scout
I'd like to buy some more readigrass for Caramel and thought it might be nice to get some other munchies to put with it so she can have a really good - AND HEALTHY - rummage and munch! :lol:

I put her pellets on a bed of readigrass and she munches quite well on that, so I'd quite like to put another bowl out with readigrass and something different but never know which are the really healthy options. I've been dismayed at times to see that some of the 'Naturals' bags of treats has ingredients in (like corn something or other) which some have said rabbits should NOT have.

Caramel absolutely LOVES dandelions so some sort of dried dandelion something would be nice, but am open to all suggestions as long as they are good, healthy options :)

Last time I bought readigrass I got it from The Hay Experts and they do seem to have some really yummy looking munchy options for bunnies https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Thanks for any help anyone is able to offer :)

The dried forage from the hay experts always goes down well with my buns. Galens Garden is also a good source for dried forage. It also includes apple and pear twigs as well as dandelion and nettle roots which are really good boredom breakers too. I also get the hay cookies sometimes for my buns but they can get expensive! Still they're another good boredom breaker!

As we're approaching spring there is also the option of picking fresh forage for Caramel, which I'm sure she'd love [emoji3] Added bonus is that it's free! There's a thread over on the diet section of the forum and a lot of us use the book Foraging for Rabbits by Twigs Way (aka paranipbun on here!) to help identify bunny safe plants. It's available from the RWAF website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love putting herbage in my buns hay sometimes to jazz it up a bit.

They live Rosemary, dill, sage, basil, mint and parsley (but be careful of parsley as it’s high in calcium).

Blackberry leaves and other forage as advised above are great too. There’s a wonderful and cheap book on the RWA which has a forage guide, I just got it myself :)

Or I just sprinkle in a few of their pellets x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my dried forage is from the hay experts, they like it all. Especially the dandelion roots and danelion. I bought plaintan too wich has recently become a hit.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I get forage mixes in bulk bags from Galens garden - they are really good value and IMO better quality than the Hay Experts range

Thanks all for your comments. I ended up buying one pack of each - dried dandelion, dried nettle and dried plantain to go with the new packet of readigrass I needed to buy. Now Caramel has a little bit from each pack with her pellets so she can have a lovely rummage around lol. She does seem to be thoroughly enjoying it all. :)

Back