• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lillian bunny not well - spare vibes please

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
We've just taken Lillian bun to the vets as we were concerned about her demeanor. She seemed to not be putting weight on, despite eating reasonably normally. She seemed quite thin round her hips - especially when she sat. Her upper limbs seemed quite pronounced. She's been loosing alot of fur but I put that down to a moult. She's normally impossible to handle and pick up - she's what you call 'feisty'. But today she was easy to handle, very laid back and not her normal self. Her poop doesn't seem to be totally pellet hard - it's quite soft even though she's eating some hay. I did some research on symptoms and it seemed to point at possible worms. But I'm by no means an expert. So we've been to the vet. Lillians temperature is 41.3 which is a little too high according to the vet. She also agreed that she seemed a bit lean even though she is 2.5k. She was 2.6 when last weighed just before xmas. And she's been hoovering up the food normally so I reckon she's lost a few hundred grams. The vet agreed it 'could' be worms so we've got some panacur rabbit for that. Her teeth are fine and no ulcers on her tongue (that's Lillian, not the vet!). She's also given Lillian some metoclopramide to hopefully kick start her digestion as she felt her tummy and said she seemed to have an empty GI tract (no poop). And also some enrobactin because of the temperature - she might have some infection and they don't do baytril any more.
So if anyone has a few spare vibes for little Lillian (presently with her nose in the food bowl scoffing for england), then she'd appreciate them and if anyone has any thoughts on what she might have, I'd welcome any views. I think we're covering as much as we can and the vet has said we can go back and do bloods if she doesn't improve. Lillian is a house bun but has been out in the garden when the weather has allowed so she could have picked up something from the grass? The main issue is her behaviour is not quite as it was. She's usually quite active and a bit independent but she hates being picked up and handled - but now she's perfectly content being held - which really isn't like her. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

I hope she will return to her usual self soon. Has she had her vaccinations (vhd1 and myxomatosis combined and separate vhd2 vaccine)
Has anything changed in the house - new pet, new furniture, changes such as new carpet or layout changes?

I'm sorry that Lillian is causing some concern. I hope that the medication will help. It's certainly possible that she has an infection as her temperature is a little on the high side. I wouldn't be concerned about that small amount of weight loss though.

Sending lots of vibes for her.

We've just taken Lillian bun to the vets as we were concerned about her demeanor. She seemed to not be putting weight on, despite eating reasonably normally. She seemed quite thin round her hips - especially when she sat. Her upper limbs seemed quite pronounced. She's been loosing alot of fur but I put that down to a moult. She's normally impossible to handle and pick up - she's what you call 'feisty'. But today she was easy to handle, very laid back and not her normal self. Her poop doesn't seem to be totally pellet hard - it's quite soft even though she's eating some hay. I did some research on symptoms and it seemed to point at possible worms. But I'm by no means an expert. So we've been to the vet. Lillians temperature is 41.3 which is a little too high according to the vet. She also agreed that she seemed a bit lean even though she is 2.5k. She was 2.6 when last weighed just before xmas. And she's been hoovering up the food normally so I reckon she's lost a few hundred grams. The vet agreed it 'could' be worms so we've got some panacur rabbit for that. Her teeth are fine and no ulcers on her tongue (that's Lillian, not the vet!). She's also given Lillian some metoclopramide to hopefully kick start her digestion as she felt her tummy and said she seemed to have an empty GI tract (no poop). And also some enrobactin because of the temperature - she might have some infection and they don't do baytril any more.
So if anyone has a few spare vibes for little Lillian (presently with her nose in the food bowl scoffing for england), then she'd appreciate them and if anyone has any thoughts on what she might have, I'd welcome any views. I think we're covering as much as we can and the vet has said we can go back and do bloods if she doesn't improve. Lillian is a house bun but has been out in the garden when the weather has allowed so she could have picked up something from the grass? The main issue is her behaviour is not quite as it was. She's usually quite active and a bit independent but she hates being picked up and handled - but now she's perfectly content being held - which really isn't like her. Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Craig my heart sank when I saw your post :( Poor Lillian and poor you x

Yes that temperature is high for a rabbit. It would be worth investigating why that could be. It would seem that there's some infection going on somewhere in her body .... I guess the vet could take a urine sample - you are already covering worms in the stools. And panacur is a good idea if only as a preventative anyway :)

It's unlikely she's picked up something from the grass outside.

However, your vet could also perhaps consider giving pain relief - Metacam, as her change in behaviour could well be due to pain.

I'm sorry you have this mystery. I really hope you can get some answers ...

Poor Lillian :cry: Hopefully the Vet also prescribed a non steroidal anti inflammatory such as Metacam. Not only would this address any pain issues it would also act as an antipyretic and reduce her fever.

I am assuming that Lillian is up to date with both her Vaccinations ? Did the Vet check her ears by looking into them with an otoscope ? Did he/she have a good listen to Lillian's heart rate/rhythm ?

Given the facts you have mentioned personally I would also request that the Vet runs a full blood profile to check on her major organ function, especially that of her Liver.

Sending off a faecal sample for analysis may also be useful. A heavy coccidia load could be one thing to rule out.

Is Lillian drinking a lot more than normal ? Does she appear to be making an increased respiratory effort (breathing 'heavily') ?

Sending lots of vibes for her, please keep us updated if you can xx

Thank you all and everyone for your kind interest and views. I can give you a small update on things. It's just gone 6am and Lillian has come into the living room and had a very brief explore - something she hadn't really done for several days. She's now merrily munching on a cabbage leave and taken it down to the stalk - whichshe hadn't really been doing. She'd been ripping into the dark green juicy leaves and just scoffing the tops, nothing more. Strangely the vet didn't listen to Lillians heartbeat - which I thought perhaps a little unusual, but to be fair, Lillian is usually mega stressed at the vets and her heart rate is, in that situation, usually too high for comparison. Lillian was visibly shaking when we opened up her carrier at the vets - I just don't know what it is with pets and vets and being so nervous. But to be fair to Lillian, she didn't flinch when they checked her teeth and never budged when they took her temperature (not a place I'd like mine taken I can tell you!). It's more Lillians general behaviour that has changed and even though we've had her only 4 months, it's something you hopefully switch on to. The obvious one was trying to pick her up. I can count on one hand how many times she's been handled - basically because it's like trying to put an octopus in a string bag. She just goes absolutely boo-loo and if you leave with a dozen scratches, you've done well. But now, she's the total opposite. She snuggles into your shoulder and is very happy there. She was spayed a week before xmas but this is too relaxed and too much of a change for hormones.
The vet didn't think she was in pain so didn't suggest metacam - but we have plenty of that as Georgina was on that for her bumblefoot before she went to the bridge, so I can give Lillian metacam. But she doesn't really present in pain. She's certainly not been as active and spends most of her time just sitting or lying. Vet didn't check her ears but we did and told her they felt hot and the vet then agreed that they did. It's usually a good indicator that something is going on.
Yes she's up to date with her vaccinations - both lots. First thing we did when we got her. VH1 & 2 and mixi so we feel she's covered there. Henry is also fully up to date, although they aren't yet bonded. I don't think she's drinking any more or any less. She gets alot of moisture from the fresh greens she has daily and the carrots she eats (including Henry's carrots). I've not noticed any mucus on her poop but it does seem softer than a pellet. I doubt that will get any better given the meds she's now taking so I'm expecting some shockers with her poo. The vet is happy to do bloods and we'll monitor her closely for the next few days and the weekend. If there's little improvement, we'll take her back to the vets for bloods. Right now, she's lying flat out and I would say looking a little dishrevelled but then if she has got an infection going on, she's going to feel like us and just wanting to lie down and not do much. I don't think she's quite a strong as she should be and again, it's possible with her not feeling well she just might feel weak.
I will keep you all updated with her progress and thank you all again for your vibes and concern.

Sending vibes for her, but I did laugh at your description of putting an octopus in a string bag! I hope she perks up quickly x

Lots of healing vibes for Lillian that she is soon back to 100% fit and well. Hope you're coping as well as I know how worrying it is when they are not well so good vibes being sent for you too.

Thank you all and everyone for your kind interest and views. I can give you a small update on things. It's just gone 6am and Lillian has come into the living room and had a very brief explore - something she hadn't really done for several days. She's now merrily munching on a cabbage leave and taken it down to the stalk - whichshe hadn't really been doing. She'd been ripping into the dark green juicy leaves and just scoffing the tops, nothing more. Strangely the vet didn't listen to Lillians heartbeat - which I thought perhaps a little unusual, but to be fair, Lillian is usually mega stressed at the vets and her heart rate is, in that situation, usually too high for comparison. Lillian was visibly shaking when we opened up her carrier at the vets - I just don't know what it is with pets and vets and being so nervous. But to be fair to Lillian, she didn't flinch when they checked her teeth and never budged when they took her temperature (not a place I'd like mine taken I can tell you!). It's more Lillians general behaviour that has changed and even though we've had her only 4 months, it's something you hopefully switch on to. The obvious one was trying to pick her up. I can count on one hand how many times she's been handled - basically because it's like trying to put an octopus in a string bag. She just goes absolutely boo-loo and if you leave with a dozen scratches, you've done well. But now, she's the total opposite. She snuggles into your shoulder and is very happy there. She was spayed a week before xmas but this is too relaxed and too much of a change for hormones.
The vet didn't think she was in pain so didn't suggest metacam - but we have plenty of that as Georgina was on that for her bumblefoot before she went to the bridge, so I can give Lillian metacam. But she doesn't really present in pain. She's certainly not been as active and spends most of her time just sitting or lying. Vet didn't check her ears but we did and told her they felt hot and the vet then agreed that they did. It's usually a good indicator that something is going on.
Yes she's up to date with her vaccinations - both lots. First thing we did when we got her. VH1 & 2 and mixi so we feel she's covered there. Henry is also fully up to date, although they aren't yet bonded. I don't think she's drinking any more or any less. She gets alot of moisture from the fresh greens she has daily and the carrots she eats (including Henry's carrots). I've not noticed any mucus on her poop but it does seem softer than a pellet. I doubt that will get any better given the meds she's now taking so I'm expecting some shockers with her poo. The vet is happy to do bloods and we'll monitor her closely for the next few days and the weekend. If there's little improvement, we'll take her back to the vets for bloods. Right now, she's lying flat out and I would say looking a little dishrevelled but then if she has got an infection going on, she's going to feel like us and just wanting to lie down and not do much. I don't think she's quite a strong as she should be and again, it's possible with her not feeling well she just might feel weak.
I will keep you all updated with her progress and thank you all again for your vibes and concern.

How is she today, Craig?

Lillian is still presenting as subdued. I'm about to go and administer her meds - no small feat because my wife is presently looking after her mother who was taken to hospital earlier, and my son is travelling back from york uni as I type, with a potentially badly sprained ankle which I'll have to sort at the local hospital when he gets here at 9:30 tonight! When I got up at 6am this morning, it appeared Lillian hadn't really had much to eat overnight - and she normally scoffs like you wouldn't believe. However, a few fresh dark green cabbage leaves had her tempted and she was soon tucking in. So on the plus, she is eating, only not as much as she usually does. She's not that active - but then again would we be if we're not feeling ok? I had a look at her poops this morning and they seem a bit more robust - more pellet and appearing dryer. But she's not the best rabbit to get meds into especially on your own. But she is very good at taking them. It's just handling her that's the challenge. She's not bonded with Henry yet so I'm playing a game called slidiing doors where one is in one room and one in the other. The last thing Lillian needs now is extra stress. Unlike me!! Oh, and I'm still dealing with the aftermath of my corneal ulcer and I've somehow got to do a full supermarket shop, take a teenager to local A&E, clean 2 rabbit cages out, and do 3 weeks worth of teenage clothes washing in the next 36 hours as well as making meals. I'll give an update tomorrow (saturday) as to how lillian is because she's certainly not yet her normal self. But on the positive, she doesn't appear to be getting any worse. Thank you for all your concern and well wishes.

Oh goodness that is a lot going on! As you say she is still eating and not getting any worse. I am sure you are keeping a close eye on her. Best wishes x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Thinking of you. I hope that Lillian starts to improve soon and that all of your other tasks turn out to be not so stressful. I would point your boy in the direction of the washing machine :lol:

Lillian is still presenting as subdued. I'm about to go and administer her meds - no small feat because my wife is presently looking after her mother who was taken to hospital earlier, and my son is travelling back from york uni as I type, with a potentially badly sprained ankle which I'll have to sort at the local hospital when he gets here at 9:30 tonight! When I got up at 6am this morning, it appeared Lillian hadn't really had much to eat overnight - and she normally scoffs like you wouldn't believe. However, a few fresh dark green cabbage leaves had her tempted and she was soon tucking in. So on the plus, she is eating, only not as much as she usually does. She's not that active - but then again would we be if we're not feeling ok? I had a look at her poops this morning and they seem a bit more robust - more pellet and appearing dryer. But she's not the best rabbit to get meds into especially on your own. But she is very good at taking them. It's just handling her that's the challenge. She's not bonded with Henry yet so I'm playing a game called slidiing doors where one is in one room and one in the other. The last thing Lillian needs now is extra stress. Unlike me!! Oh, and I'm still dealing with the aftermath of my corneal ulcer and I've somehow got to do a full supermarket shop, take a teenager to local A&E, clean 2 rabbit cages out, and do 3 weeks worth of teenage clothes washing in the next 36 hours as well as making meals. I'll give an update tomorrow (saturday) as to how lillian is because she's certainly not yet her normal self. But on the positive, she doesn't appear to be getting any worse. Thank you for all your concern and well wishes.

Gosh you've quite a day Craig, and it's not over yet!

Glad to hear that lovely Lillian is doing well and best of luck for the rest of your evening's antics :)

Back