• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny going upstairs

Hi all,

Made an account just to ask this question - my 7.5 year old dwarf lop lives downstairs with us and all of a sudden he's decided to start exploring upstairs after all this time! He's very well loved and has a lot of space downstairs.

My question is is it safe? We have banisters about 5cm apart each so he could fit through them. I'm worried he might stick his paws and head through the banisters to have a sniff and lose his footing (cos they're wooden at the base even though the landing is carpet, so his paws could easily slide forwards and off the landing) and then fall down to the first floor. As a rabbit is it possible he does this or does he have a better sense of height than I'm crediting him with?

Any suggestions on bunny proofing it? I was thinking of wrapping cling film all the way around the base of the banisters.

Alternatively I might just block the stairs off but it seems harsh to stop his exploration.

Here's a picture of what I mean (and Treacle sticking his head out exactly like I'm talking about!):

https://i.imgur.com/8IcBfm5.jpg

Thanks everyone

Hi Kibblinator, and welcome!

What a conundrum... I'm especially intrigued (as you must be) as to why his exploration has begun after so long in the contentment of downstairs!

...I do let my two indoor bunnies roam up and down the stairs, which they love and do occasionally peer through the bannisters at me, but, critically, my stairs are fully carpeted, so there isn't quite the same risk of slippage.

On balance, I'd probably be thinking the same as you, and would want to play it safe - I'd probably try and block the banister spacers, or, if too tricky, ensure I supervised any upstairs roaming time?

Good luck and do let us know what you try out : )

Hi Kibbinator. My thoughts are pretty much alongside Squishies on this, although I would suggest that clingfilm isn't perhaps the best thing to use to restrict access through the bars - being of plastic content, if your bun begins to chew the clingfilm, he may ingest the clingfilm and you may end up with a world of problems. That said, allowing your bun to explore is always to be encouraged - it's enrichment and stimulation - loads of new smells and sights for your bun to explore. Buns tend to have a good perception of height so your bun isn't likely to decide to jump out through the bars, but you are right in that they might slip whilst poking a head through. I definately think that finding a way to block the gaps off between the bannister spacees - maybe with some old towels or carpet but obviously visually the strairs wouldn't look as nice as they do now. Let us know how you get on and definately some pictures of the bun please.

My boys come up and down stairs too but carpeted stairs, they do peep through the bannister rails at me but luckily can not fit through

You could try to block the banister gaps off with Perspex panels, or some sort of mesh? Have you had a new carpet fitted that has made bunny want to go upstairs?

As the stairs are carpeted he should be safe enough unless his eyesight starts to deteriorate.

As the stairs are carpeted he should be safe enough unless his eyesight starts to deteriorate.

I'm inclined to agree. I think bunnies are more capable than we give them credit for. I had stairs / bannister railings like yours in my first house, my bunnies used them without incident. I know rabbits don't have good depth perception but still reckon they have enough sense to compensate

Hi all,

Made an account just to ask this question - my 7.5 year old dwarf lop lives downstairs with us and all of a sudden he's decided to start exploring upstairs after all this time! He's very well loved and has a lot of space downstairs.

My question is is it safe? We have banisters about 5cm apart each so he could fit through them. I'm worried he might stick his paws and head through the banisters to have a sniff and lose his footing (cos they're wooden at the base even though the landing is carpet, so his paws could easily slide forwards and off the landing) and then fall down to the first floor. As a rabbit is it possible he does this or does he have a better sense of height than I'm crediting him with?

Any suggestions on bunny proofing it? I was thinking of wrapping cling film all the way around the base of the banisters.

Alternatively I might just block the stairs off but it seems harsh to stop his exploration.

Here's a picture of what I mean (and Treacle sticking his head out exactly like I'm talking about!):

https://i.imgur.com/8IcBfm5.jpg

Thanks everyone

Hi there and welcome to the forum :wave:

A lot of staircases look something like yours ... mine, in fact!

I have seen bunnies exploring and sticking their heads through the bannisters. I have never had one push through, and all my bunnies have 24/7 access to stairs :)

Hi again everyone, sorry for the delay in replying!

Here are some recent pictures of the bun as requested (does this link work for you?):

https://imgur.com/a/Rk1zY

For now I have put a baby gate on the stairs (visible in one of the pictures) while I work on a more permanent solution for upstairs because as some people have affirmed there's a small chance of him slipping and I don't want to risk it! I think I will wrap some old towels and fabric around the base of the banisters. Will keep an eye out for something more suitable.

When he looks like he wants to go up I'm letting him go and supervising!

Thanks for all your help! Very happy to see the warm response.

Ooh my. HAve you ever seen those YBF videos of animals who've done something soooo wrong, they just know, and they have this really guilty looking expression? Well, Treacle has that expression. She's lovely but oh my, she's had a bot of a go at the cusions hasn't she? You can't help but love that bun though. :love:

Hi again everyone, sorry for the delay in replying!

Here are some recent pictures of the bun as requested (does this link work for you?):

https://imgur.com/a/Rk1zY

For now I have put a baby gate on the stairs (visible in one of the pictures) while I work on a more permanent solution for upstairs because as some people have affirmed there's a small chance of him slipping and I don't want to risk it! I think I will wrap some old towels and fabric around the base of the banisters. Will keep an eye out for something more suitable.

When he looks like he wants to go up I'm letting him go and supervising!

Thanks for all your help! Very happy to see the warm response.

Really beautiful rabbit :love:

Had my boh a year before he decided to experiment going cup the stairs, he now flies them however he doesn't go down them and I won't let him, I had a nethie and when she got very old she fell down them once didn't get far as luckily I was behind her and caught her, I've been cautious ever since

Treacle looks adorable, but erm, was your sofa supposed to look like that? :shock:

Haha yep - he has an entire room to himself downstairs and we had an extremely cheap sofa in there that we've let him chew to bits, the sofa itself is fine but the pillows are ruined! It's controlled nibbling I swear...

Thanks everyone :D

Wow what a lovely and lucky bunny! A whole sofa, my cats don't even get that! Hope you keep posting, your thread made me laugh! Lol

Back