• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad introduction

Hi everyone I am new here and have just joined today after the sudden loss of my Netherland Dwarf doe Bea. She was just perfect in every way and I am so honoured to have had her in my life. She had the most funny and charismatic personality and was like a little dog in ways I know only fellow bunny owners will understand. I was staying at my dads house when I got a call from my mum on Monday night telling me she had found Bea lying flat out by her litter tray. She will often have a lie and a flop for a stroke or on your bed etc but you could tell something was wrong so we rushed her to the nearest vets who told us it was a internal failure of something (I don’t have details as I wasn’t in the mood to talk about it over the phone and have only arrived back at the house tonight) apparently it is just chance and can happen to both humans and rabbits and there is nothing that can be done. He gave us the option to either send her home with fluids but that there was almost 100% chance she would pass in the night or have her put to sleep at the vets. I chose to do this over the phone which was a really hard decision to make but now a couple of days later I am glad I was not selfish and made that decision for her. She was only 3 and a half. She was one of my most personable and important pets and whilst I love and care for them all the others are snakes and fish etc so it is not the same apart from my dogs and Guineas. I am so glad that I could have her in my life and know that she was happy safe and warm inside running around the house, binkying and was so comfortable around people and our dogs. She was a favourite of every visitor and I will miss her licks and snuggles. She used to ride to the vet in her carrier stood up with her front paws on the opening of the carrier!! She was so beautiful and lovely. I am very shocked and sometimes feel like I have forgotten what has actually happened as I don’t feel as sad as I did but actually I think I have learned through having pets and having to make tough decision s like this I am gradually becoming better at processing my grief and although I am heartbroken and cried more than ever I am now generally thinking back on her with happy memories and have been through the photos and am planning a little picture album etc. I am not ready to have another rabbit quite yet however these are the pets that will be in my life forever and may start looking in the February half term holidays so I’m off school (15) for another bunny/bunnies and am sure I will have lots of questions etc even though I researched a lot with Bea and have all the necessary equipment. I plan on going with the same breed Netherland Dwarf but I may plan on two etc it just depends how I feel. I want to properly make sure I am excited at the prospect of bringing home new bun before doing any looking. Thanks for reading all this :)

Hi everyone I am new here and have just joined today after the sudden loss of my Netherland Dwarf doe Bea. She was just perfect in every way and I am so honoured to have had her in my life. She had the most funny and charismatic personality and was like a little dog in ways I know only fellow bunny owners will understand. I was staying at my dads house when I got a call from my mum on Monday night telling me she had found Bea lying flat out by her litter tray. She will often have a lie and a flop for a stroke or on your bed etc but you could tell something was wrong so we rushed her to the nearest vets who told us it was a internal failure of something (I don’t have details as I wasn’t in the mood to talk about it over the phone and have only arrived back at the house tonight) apparently it is just chance and can happen to both humans and rabbits and there is nothing that can be done. He gave us the option to either send her home with fluids but that there was almost 100% chance she would pass in the night or have her put to sleep at the vets. I chose to do this over the phone which was a really hard decision to make but now a couple of days later I am glad I was not selfish and made that decision for her. She was only 3 and a half. She was one of my most personable and important pets and whilst I love and care for them all the others are snakes and fish etc so it is not the same apart from my dogs and Guineas. I am so glad that I could have her in my life and know that she was happy safe and warm inside running around the house, binkying and was so comfortable around people and our dogs. She was a favourite of every visitor and I will miss her licks and snuggles. She used to ride to the vet in her carrier stood up with her front paws on the opening of the carrier!! She was so beautiful and lovely. I am very shocked and sometimes feel like I have forgotten what has actually happened as I don’t feel as sad as I did but actually I think I have learned through having pets and having to make tough decision s like this I am gradually becoming better at processing my grief and although I am heartbroken and cried more than ever I am now generally thinking back on her with happy memories and have been through the photos and am planning a little picture album etc. I am not ready to have another rabbit quite yet however these are the pets that will be in my life forever and may start looking in the February half term holidays so I’m off school (15) for another bunny/bunnies and am sure I will have lots of questions etc even though I researched a lot with Bea and have all the necessary equipment. I plan on going with the same breed Netherland Dwarf but I may plan on two etc it just depends how I feel. I want to properly make sure I am excited at the prospect of bringing home new bun before doing any looking. Thanks for reading all this :)

Hello, I am so sorry to hear of your loss of your very special friend Bea. She sounds to have been a delightful little Bunny who I am sure will live on forever within your heart.

I hope that you will feel able to continue posting on here and we will try to help you in any way we can. There is also the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund, their website provides a vast amount of information. When you feel ready to think about taking on another Rabbit, (as a tribute to Bea, never as a replacement for her), you may want to take a look here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sorry to hear of your loss of Bea. Nethies have the most cute but outrageous personalities, and I always seem to have one around in my bunny group - causing mischief :)

I think two rabbits when you are ready, is a wonderful thing. There are folk on here who keep two Nethies together - search Mervinius and you will find all kinds of cuteness overload warnings with her Nethies :love:

Please stay with us, and if you'd like, post photos of Bea. I know we'd all like to see them x

Thankyou so much for your reply! I am definately going to get another bun or two as the house is not the same without her! I definately want nethies, mini Rex or possibly a type of lop. I like my small buns. I will definately look at the link when I start to look again :) thanks for the support, I will definately be using the forum for questions etc

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sorry to hear of your loss of Bea. Nethies have the most cute but outrageous personalities, and I always seem to have one around in my bunny group - causing mischief :)

I think two rabbits when you are ready, is a wonderful thing. There are folk on here who keep two Nethies together - search Mervinius and you will find all kinds of cuteness overload warnings with her Nethies :love:

Please stay with us, and if you'd like, post photos of Bea. I know we'd all like to see them x

Thankyou so much for your reply! I am very grateful for your support. I definately plan on another bun or two and so will be posting on here when I begin to look again :) I am very shocked still about it as it was so unexpected but I feel I will definately be ready to find another lovely rabbit to join me in the near future. I would love to do two buns however I do worry that this would mean they would be less personable with me, possibly fight and the main reason be absolutely distraught if we lose one of the pair. I almost feel like 3 is a safer number but I don’t think there is enough rroom for that number. I will post all of this in questions about bonding etc (they’ll be littermates anyway) when I start looking. I will post some pictures of Bea now, thanks so much :) x

I’m so sorry you lost your special bunny :cry: you can post photos using imjur
Thankyou so much, she was so amazing, that’s partly why I don’t want to rush into things with another bun because I don’t want to be upset if they aren’t like her or don’t live up to her character which I know is a stupid thing to think. I’m sure when the right bun comes along I will know and they will be just as special but just a different kind of special :) the nethie in your pp is beautiful!!

Belles Bunnies - I think Mighty Max summed up perfectly how everyone on here is here to help you - MM is a wise and knowledgeable devoted rabbit lover and was so helpful towards me when I joined the forum. I also send you my sympathies for the loss of what was clearly a dearly loved and cherished rabbit. Most of the forum users have experienced losses of our loved pets and each of us all feel the same because we love and cherish our pets and they form a special bond with us. The one thing that runs through this forum is genuine love and support from everyone. Our lives change every day with our pets and our lives are enriched by their companionship. We are guardians for those we keep and we treasure the time we have with them. There is a world of help and information, tips and advice from everyone here and you will see by the various threads which ones are relevant for you at any time. It is warming to hear your positiveness for looking for some new companions and getting two buns is, in my opinion, a very positive step forward. Bunnies are sociable animals who thrive in the companionship of each other and will feed off the love you give them, so finding a bonded pair or even bonding two buns is going to be a great adventure for you. Whilst they will never replace your lost bun, and you don't want them ever to do that, they will provide new memories for you as you will for them. Giving new companions a second chance in life is the most rewarding thing you can do and I for one will look forward to following the adventures and looking at the photos when you decide to get your new buns. I also agree with MM that it would be a fitting tribute to post some photos of Bea. Again, sorry about your loss and I hope that you stay with the forum and get some new bunny companions.

So sorry to hear about your buns loss, an tell how much she meant to you from your mum's and your posts now, she sounded amazing character
I think another bun or two will help you and also help other bunnies in need, keep us updated x

Belles Bunnies - I think Mighty Max summed up perfectly how everyone on here is here to help you - MM is a wise and knowledgeable devoted rabbit lover and was so helpful towards me when I joined the forum. I also send you my sympathies for the loss of what was clearly a dearly loved and cherished rabbit. Most of the forum users have experienced losses of our loved pets and each of us all feel the same because we love and cherish our pets and they form a special bond with us. The one thing that runs through this forum is genuine love and support from everyone. Our lives change every day with our pets and our lives are enriched by their companionship. We are guardians for those we keep and we treasure the time we have with them. There is a world of help and information, tips and advice from everyone here and you will see by the various threads which ones are relevant for you at any time. It is warming to hear your positiveness for looking for some new companions and getting two buns is, in my opinion, a very positive step forward. Bunnies are sociable animals who thrive in the companionship of each other and will feed off the love you give them, so finding a bonded pair or even bonding two buns is going to be a great adventure for you. Whilst they will never replace your lost bun, and you don't want them ever to do that, they will provide new memories for you as you will for them. Giving new companions a second chance in life is the most rewarding thing you can do and I for one will look forward to following the adventures and looking at the photos when you decide to get your new buns. I also agree with MM that it would be a fitting tribute to post some photos of Bea. Again, sorry about your loss and I hope that you stay with the forum and get some new bunny companions.

Thankyou so so much for your great reply! It makes me feel a lot better. I definately plan on another bun or two. How does it work with bonding? I will make a post on this when I am getting my new buns but does it mean if I just got two babies say from the same litter would they already be bonded? Or could I get two separate babies of a baby and adult etc and how does it work? Obviously they need yo both be neutered but can you bond say a nethie and a mini lop around the same age etc? Thankyou!! :) and again Thankyou so much for the support. I am currently trying to work out how to post photos of my bea bea so hopefully will be able to get them up soon :)

So sorry to hear about your buns loss, an tell how much she meant to you from your mum's and your posts now, she sounded amazing character
I think another bun or two will help you and also help other bunnies in need, keep us updated x
Thankyou very much, she was amazing. I will definately keep everyone updated when I look into more buns :) xx

Belles Bunnies - My own opinion with regards to getting your new companions is to aim to get two. That's not to say that the wonderful people on this forum wouldn't suggest that three buns are also equally as good. But in my opinion and from the very limited knowledge I have, you may well get some problems trying to do the logistics with 3. As much as I know (and I'm no expert), rabbits usually establish a hierachy (that's not spelt right) but one rabbit will have to be dominant. Again, from my limited knowledge, this tends to be the female who is dominant - but again, others with far greater knowledge than I may suggest that the male can assume dominance. I would, personally, advocate looking to support rabbits from a respected rescue centre - and this forum will have loads of recomendations for reputable and trusted rescue centres. From my own experience, a rescue rabbit is deserving of that second chance - and chance that you can give them. And that is worth more than anything to be able to give that love and safety back to any pet. You have to work at earning the trust but that is part of what we enjoy from it and our little companions deserve that opportunity and their lives can be changed hugely from our actions by adopting them. You will find that those running the rescue centres are very in tune with the rabbits they have, and their welfare and will provide all the right information for you should you use them. They give up their time for the welfare of those they rescue and they care very much about the animals they look after. You may also find that you could get a bonded pair from a rescue centre - which is also a very rewarding thing to do because you are not splitting up a relationship and you also aleviate some of the problems that can be associated with bonding. The important thing is that you find the rabbits that are right for you - or rather the rabbits find you. In your heart you will know the bunnies that are right for you. Again, this forum is a superb place of resource for information and advice and more importantly support. Hope this helps and I am looking forward to following your journey.

Belles Bunnies - My own opinion with regards to getting your new companions is to aim to get two. That's not to say that the wonderful people on this forum wouldn't suggest that three buns are also equally as good. But in my opinion and from the very limited knowledge I have, you may well get some problems trying to do the logistics with 3. As much as I know (and I'm no expert), rabbits usually establish a hierachy (that's not spelt right) but one rabbit will have to be dominant. Again, from my limited knowledge, this tends to be the female who is dominant - but again, others with far greater knowledge than I may suggest that the male can assume dominance. I would, personally, advocate looking to support rabbits from a respected rescue centre - and this forum will have loads of recomendations for reputable and trusted rescue centres. From my own experience, a rescue rabbit is deserving of that second chance - and chance that you can give them. And that is worth more than anything to be able to give that love and safety back to any pet. You have to work at earning the trust but that is part of what we enjoy from it and our little companions deserve that opportunity and their lives can be changed hugely from our actions by adopting them. You will find that those running the rescue centres are very in tune with the rabbits they have, and their welfare and will provide all the right information for you should you use them. They give up their time for the welfare of those they rescue and they care very much about the animals they look after. You may also find that you could get a bonded pair from a rescue centre - which is also a very rewarding thing to do because you are not splitting up a relationship and you also aleviate some of the problems that can be associated with bonding. The important thing is that you find the rabbits that are right for you - or rather the rabbits find you. In your heart you will know the bunnies that are right for you. Again, this forum is a superb place of resource for information and advice and more importantly support. Hope this helps and I am looking forward to following your journey.
Thankyou so much for your lovely reply :) xx I have posted another thread with my exact bonding questions and would kove to heat your advice :)

Back