• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

FEEDING UP A RABBIT!!

Smudge

Warren Scout
hi all some of you know and some of you don't but here goes anyway :D :D :lol: :lol: :D :D

well i found a rabbit and asked the woman at the pet shop if she knew who's it was and she said she sold it to a woman as a house rabbit but didn't know where she lived :? :?

so anyway i am taking care of him but until i get my own house he will have to be an outdoors bunny and i was told that once they are an indoor bunny they don't get the thick coat to keep them warm in the cold outside :cry: :cry:

but i was told if i feed him up he will start to get a thicker coat is this true? :? :?

well sorry for all the chit chat but this is the real question :p :p

i have heard about feeding them mash as this helps build them up but i am not quite sure as to what to put in it could some of you guys and girls advise me please :p :p

thanks so much as i am also worried because i don't know how long he has been outside and without food for so i would like to get him back up to full strength so he's all nice and healthy again :wink: :wink:

many thanks jamie (Smudge and Bailey's dad) xx :D :D

You could try sunflower hearts and peanut to put some extra weight on his, thats what I was advised for my harlequin lops although I found they wouldn't eat the sunflower hearts or th peanuts.

You could also try Burgess excell which is what my harlie lops are on and they thrive.

Sue (Pendragon) should be able to give you some more sound advice.

I must say Smudge is gorgeous!

Gem x

thanks for the advice Gem and yeah Smudge sure is gorgeous i now have 2 gorgeous bunnies Smudge and Bailey :D :D

i'm so happy :D :D

love jamie,Smudge and Bailey :D :D

Ohhh do we get pictures then?

Is there any sign of moulting on them? Because its been quite windy of late and that might have help them at least get some kinda start on the coat. The other thing you could do is make sure the outdoor house has plenty of shelter, then if they are cold they can just stay in the seltered area. Maybe you could put a boiler jacket on it?

Well found though. You kinda hoping they don't come looking for him?

If you go to Gen chat and look at 'what a surprise' you can read the whole story Amber :)

Love Helen x

Rabbits do eat more food during the winter if they are outside as they use more engergy heating themselves. However there is no need to "fatten up" a rabbit he doesn't need a layer of blubber like a whale ;)

The falling temperature should spur him to moult if he doesn't already have his winter coat on. As he's been roaming outside anyway then he should be getting uesd to the weather.

Aslong as he has a weather/wind/wet proof hutch then he should be fine :)

Tam

she said she sold it to a woman as a house rabbit but didn't know where she lived

Just wanted to mention that a pet shop has to record by law address of people that buy animals... this pet shop is breaking the law.

Vera

Back