• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - red urine!

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Help

am really worried as when I got up this morning there were two puddles of red liquid on the floor where the rabbits are. :(

I wiped this up and it doesn't smell like wee but not sure it it's blood or not... it's odd as both rabbits normally use their litter tray without fail. I have checked both rabbits and no sign of bleeding. Both eating and drinking and hopping around.

I have looked up in my bunny books and they said it could be blood or could be something they've eaten eg beetroot or carrot but I haven't fed either of them this.

PLease can anyone let me know if they have experienced this before and what it could possibly be as am really worried, just after Tigs was given the all clear yesterday at the vets :(

Amelia

I think it is Mr B, it's really worrying me know as it seems to be thickening. Although he is eating and hopping around, he seems to be much more jumpy than usual.

I've just called the vets and they said to bring him in tomorrow if I'm still worried :(

Wilsons wee started going red after being at the vets. Its because before hand he hadn't been eating carrots and now he has a taste for them. He wees buckets and Mrs Perkins does odd dribbles (which cos shes new I need to confirm is normal). Both my bunnies hardly seem to drink at all, but get quite a few veggies and seem ok so I don't worry.

If anyone out there has had a bunnie with blood in the wee can they tell us what visually is different to red wee?

I think also changes in the thickness can tell things too?

Thanks for the link Tam, has made me feel a bit less worried. He had spring greens last night so don't know if this would have affected his wee :roll:

I just turning into a right worrier where the buns are concerned as in the last month all three have been on antibiotics :(

Observant makes you sound less like your mom ;-) plus its a good thing to be observant cos bunnies health is a funny little beast.

Amelia said:
I just turning into a right worrier where the buns are concerned as in the last month all three have been on antibiotics :(

It might even be the antibiotics that are making the wee turn red. Are you fussing about the bunnies more on account of being worried about the wee? It could be that that's making Mr B. seem more jumpy, rather than there being anything wrong. My bunnies are always peeing out weird colours, I think it's actually pretty rare for a bunny to get blood in its urine.

Whenever I think my bunnies are ill I always start prodding and poking them about more, and that in turn makes them act 'off' and then that makes me more worried. Just keep an eye on the little chap, but I think it probably isn't blood.

After doing some reading up and research on the net, I think it is also unlikely it is blood.

Mr B is normally very affectionate and used to being handled lots so don't think that's making him jumpy, he may just be havng a skitty day. He's also came off the antibiotics about 2 weeks ago so think it is probably unlikely to be that.

He seems to have perked up this evening and no more signs of red wee so fingers crossed.... :)

Back