• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEASE HELP soft and deadly pet carrier to blame or...?

teddybunsrip

New Kit
My 15 yo daughter has had a netherland dwarf rabbit for 8 years, with whom he "pair bonded" thus she gradually assumed primary care for over the years. "Teddybuns" divided his time between indoors~where he had a small animal enclosure, with access to food and water, and also frequently roamed with my daughter through our home; and a screened porch where he also had a hutch with hay/pellets/water and free access to roam the porch. He turned 8 just last week and seemed in perfect health. Then yesterday my daughter searched the porch only to discover her beloved lifelong friend lifeless </3 seemingly wedged between the folds of a small soft vinyl pet carrier (used to transport to vet eg) that had long been kept stowed unnoticed beneath a small table.. We are both shocked and devastated :( ::::: wondering if this is the cause and anyone else has heard of dwarf bunnies becoming lodged between/trapped by/ suffocating from soft carriers or objects~or if he simply collapsed there from other causes.. She occasionally fed him carrots, lettuce (or rare smidgeon of fruit) but he ate primarily pellets plus smaller daily portions of hay~which i've since read should be the mainstay of a rabbit's diet. We are heartsick, tormented by not knowing if he died a premature death due to stress of being trapped or caught in padded carrier?) which might have been prevented had we found him right away~and wondering if this was even the cause? We'd been told as a netherland dwarf he could live up to 14 years so was sudden or unexpected (though i've since learned 8-9 is more average). Up until yesterday morning he appeared/acted in perfect health! Can anyone share any experience, suggest theory or shed light on this please RIP teddybuns♡

Last edited:
My 15 yo daughter has had a netherland dwarf rabbit for 8 years, with whom he "pair bonded" thus she gradually assumed primary care for over the years. "Teddybuns" divided his time between indoors~where he had a small animal enclosure, with access to food and water, and also frequently roamed with my daughter through our home; and a screened porch where he also had a hutch with hay/pellets/water and free access to roam the porch. He turned 8 just last week and seemed in perfect health. Then yesterday my daughter searched the porch only to discover her beloved lifelong friend lifeless </3 seemingly wedged between the folds of a small soft vinyl pet carrier (used to transport to vet eg) that had long been kept stowed unnoticed beneath a small table.. We are both shocked and devastated :( ::::: wondering if this is the cause and anyone else has heard of dwarf bunnies becoming lodged between/trapped by/ suffocating from soft carriers or objects~or if he simply collapsed there from other causes.. She occasionally fed him carrots, lettuce (or rare smidgeon of fruit) but he ate primarily pellets plus smaller daily portions of hay~which i've since read should be the mainstay of a rabbit's diet. We are heartsick, tormented by not knowing if he died a premature death due to stress of being trapped or caught in padded carrier?) which might have been prevented had we found him right away~and wondering if this was even the cause? We'd been told as a netherland dwarf he could live up to 14 years so was sudden or unexpected (though i've since learned 8-9 is more average). Up until yesterday morning he appeared/acted in perfect health! Can anyone share any experience, suggest theory or shed light on this please RIP teddybuns♡

I am so sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss :cry: It is impossible to give you a definitive answer as to what happened, a PM examination would be the only way to obtain enough information to possibly provide some answers.

Are you in the UK ? If so, was Teddybuns fully vaccinated- ie 2 separate vaccines to give protection against RHD1 +RHD2 and Myxomatosis ?

At the moment here in the UK the RHD2 virus is a big threat to all Rabbits, this can cause death with absolutely no prior symptoms at all. However, RHD2 may not be what took Teddybuns, it really is impossible to say. There are other conditions that can prove fatal in just a few hours- eg acute bloat.

I really am very sorry that you and your daughter have experienced the sudden and untimely passing of your dear little friend. I am sure it has been a terrible shock for both of you :cry:

RIP Teddybuns xx

I am so sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss :cry: It is impossible to give you a definitive answer as to what happened, a PM examination would be the only way to obtain enough information to possibly provide some answers.

Are you in the UK ? If so, was Teddybuns fully vaccinated- ie 2 separate vaccines to give protection against RHD1 +RHD2 and Myxomatosis ?

At the moment here in the UK the RHD2 virus is a big threat to all Rabbits, this can cause death with absolutely no prior symptoms at all. However, RHD2 may not be what took Teddybuns, it really is impossible to say. There are other conditions that can prove fatal in just a few hours- eg acute bloat.

I really am very sorry that you and your daughter have experienced the sudden and untimely passing of your dear little friend. I am sure it has been a terrible shock for both of you :cry:

RIP Teddybuns xx

thank you jacks_jane for the kind words and info re vaccines~beyond the initial course he was given i will need to investigate further into that here as we are in the US, not UK. my daughter~who observed him so much more closely~believes her curious little one trahically hopped into thus wedging himself in tight space where he was unable to back out. even in cases of natural death it is a painful reminder how utterly dependent upon our supervision these mute and meekest of creatures are. thanks again for your kindness and concern. RIP teddybuns ♡
HTML:

It's lovely to have you here on the Forum, but I am so very sorry for your loss :(

Run free Teddybuns x

I am very sorry you have lost your rabbit. He was a pretty good age so it could have been his time to pass. He sounds to have had a good life and was loved and cared for. Binky free Teddybuns xx

I'm so very sorry. Is it possible that Teddybuns knew his time was coming to an end and tried to hide away somewhere for his passing. When my bun Smudge passed away she tucked herself up in a corner of her enclosure. Sending hugs x

I'm so very sorry to read of your loss :cry: I'm sending comforting vibes your way at this very sad time.

Please try to be kind to yourselves. Questioning our care of a passed pet is something fairly everyone here can understand and is part of the grieving of a lost companion. It seems to me that Teddybuns had a wonderful life with you and your daughter and was very well cared for and loved. I know something like this is not how we imagine our parting with such a dear one to be, but I can't add anything wiser than what folks here have already posted. It may have just been his time, and we can't always be with them or know what is going on within them. Rabbits are prey animals and very adept at hiding illness from us.

I, too, live in the US. I no longer have my rabbits, as they all passed away last year and I still miss them all very much. :( I was with them almost constantly, but they still all only lived to be 9-10 years of age and that is pretty good for house bunnies.

I'm sure Teddy knew he was dearly loved and cherished. That is the most anybun could possibly want. I hope in time your memories of him will bring smiles instead of tears, he will never leave your hearts and it is there that he lives on.

Sleep well and sweet dreams, Teddybuns.

I am very sorry you have lost your rabbit. He was a pretty good age so it could have been his time to pass. He sounds to have had a good life and was loved and cared for. Binky free Teddybuns xx

tonibun your kind words are a comfort, thank you

I'm so very sorry. Is it possible that Teddybuns knew his time was coming to an end and tried to hide away somewhere for his passing. When my bun Smudge passed away she tucked herself up in a corner of her enclosure. Sending hugs x

as thruout their lives a beloved pet's final moments are of tremendous importance as we desire to be with them and make them as comfortable as possible.. when we miss that opportunity or it happens without warning we can not help regretting we were not there and is human nature, i suppose, to second guess ourselves. but your kindness means so much

Back