• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about my bunny...

binkygirl2013

Young Bun
Can anyone advise whether I'm just worrying unnecessarily about my bunny.
Roxy is 4 year old and I had her to the vets yesterday as she wasn't interested in her food and no poos. I recognise the symptoms as for some strange reason this happens every year roundabout this time and she's always fine after treatment. The vet took her temperature and glucose levels and said she had early stages of bloat and gave her metacam and the 2 gut stimulant drugs. She seemed to perk up last night and had a good munch on her hay and some poos. She seemed fine this morning too although she's not impressed with me giving her her meds :( The thing that's making me worry is this afternoon she has had a wee in the corner behind the sofa where her and her husbunny snooze the afternoon away. She has never done this before and has never wee'd anyway other than her litter tray since she was a baby before she was neutered. She's had a bit nibble on some rocket and broccoli and had some hay this afternoon but there haven't been many poos. Has anyone had this before? Could the wee thing be connected to her having tummy pain or could the tummy pain be connected to something with her bladder? I'm obviously watching her like a hawk and she'll be off to the vets if she deteriorates..

I don't know about the weeing thing, but we've had bunnies in stasis before and they can take quite a few days to start producing anything like normal poos, so don't worry too much about that as long as your bunny is eating and keeps improving.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise on the wee issue. Hope your bunny is ok.

I wouldn't worry about where she wees, that could be related to the stress of being treated, hiding from you or just wanting to mark her territory because you're annoying her
Did the vet discuss syringe feeding or is she still eating enough that you haven't had to do this?
If she's still eating hopefully you'll get some poo soon.

Thanks for the replies. She's been eating a bit more hay tonight and we have a few little poos.
I hadn't thought of the stress factor, I probably am annoying her cos I'm watching her like a hawk it's just freaked me out a bit cos she's had bloat a few times and I've medicated her the same way and she's never done that before. :?

Thanks for the replies. She's been eating a bit more hay tonight and we have a few little poos.
I hadn't thought of the stress factor, I probably am annoying her cos I'm watching her like a hawk it's just freaked me out a bit cos she's had bloat a few times and I've medicated her the same way and she's never done that before. :?

If the weeing incident was just a one off then I'd not be too concerned. However, if it keeps happening and/or if over the next 24-36 hours your Rabbit does not make a full recovery re her GI tract problems personally I'd want to get her re-examined by a Vet. I'd rather err on the side of caution as both reduced gut motility and loss of litter tray habits can be secondary symptoms of an underlying problem . Hopefully this will not apply to your Rabbit and she will be doing a lot better by now :)

Thanks Jack's Jane. She's had a bit more hay and she was very enthusiastic for a treat at bedtime. There's a few more little poos and I've seen her eating her cecals so hopefully things are starting to move in that area. She hasn't wee'd outside her litter tray so far today but I'll be keeping my beady eye on her. Where her litter tray is is where I trap her to get her and give her her meds so I'm wondering if she didn't want to go there in case nasty mam was gonna get her again!

Thanks Jack's Jane. She's had a bit more hay and she was very enthusiastic for a treat at bedtime. There's a few more little poos and I've seen her eating her cecals so hopefully things are starting to move in that area. She hasn't wee'd outside her litter tray so far today but I'll be keeping my beady eye on her. Where her litter tray is is where I trap her to get her and give her her meds so I'm wondering if she didn't want to go there in case nasty mam was gonna get her again!

That may well be the case !! I hope that she will continue to improve throughout today :)

Only just seen your thread - hi there :)

Glad things seem to be going in the right direction - I hope she will be OK :)

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Roxy seems much happier tonight, she came racing over for her herbs and salad and is eating much more hay. There's lots of little poos too, some of them are strung together with fur so I'm wondering if the moulting is about to start, she moults heavily every spring. Thankfully there's been no more strange weeing incidents today so fingers crossed it was just a stress thing and nothing more sinister. I immediately thought the worst as it's so out of character for her :?

you say this seems to happen around about this time every year - that makes me think of shedding related. bunnies shed around this time of year and if they ingest too much hair it can cause a gut slowdown, as I'm sure you know. my Luna is in full moult right now with hair flying everywhere, started end of December!! you also saying poops are strung together, which confirms a lot of hair has been ingested.

how much are you brushing her?

some people give a little pineapple juice as it helps breaks down the hair. pro-c probiotic is very good too. I'd perhaps start introducing some of that in and see if that stops the issue from happening :)

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. Roxy seems much happier tonight, she came racing over for her herbs and salad and is eating much more hay. There's lots of little poos too, some of them are strung together with fur so I'm wondering if the moulting is about to start, she moults heavily every spring. Thankfully there's been no more strange weeing incidents today so fingers crossed it was just a stress thing and nothing more sinister. I immediately thought the worst as it's so out of character for her :?

Yes, hope you're right :)

One of my rabbits is moulting very heavily, but not the others .. Very random!

Where I live the grass has been growing too, new grass can cause upset stomachs sometimes, often a problem in spring

Thanks everyone, she must be definitely feeling better due to the attitude I'm getting when I give her her meds;) She always has a heavy moult round March time and thats when she always has tummy problems so I've always put it down to moulting. She doesn't appear to be moulting yet but I'm wondering if it's starting to come out when she's cleaning herself. She loves being stroked and brushed so I'll keep on top of the brushing and I'll look into pro biotics.
Her husbun Oscar has never had a heavy moult in the 4 years I've had him, he loses a few hairs here and there but never on the same scale as Roxy....and he never has tummy trouble either...

Thanks everyone, she must be definitely feeling better due to the attitude I'm getting when I give her her meds;) She always has a heavy moult round March time and thats when she always has tummy problems so I've always put it down to moulting. She doesn't appear to be moulting yet but I'm wondering if it's starting to come out when she's cleaning herself. She loves being stroked and brushed so I'll keep on top of the brushing and I'll look into pro biotics.
Her husbun Oscar has never had a heavy moult in the 4 years I've had him, he loses a few hairs here and there but never on the same scale as Roxy....and he never has tummy trouble either...

Sounds like you're on the case :thumb:

Back