• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing a third rabbit

Amelia

Alpha Buck
Now Gandalf has been spayed, I am thinking of introducing him to my other two.

Has anyone else got any experience of bonding a third rabbit to an already bonded pair.

Am I best to introduce one rabbit at a time? Although mine are happily bonded they are quite independent of each other and don't mind spending time apart.

I think Mr B will be the main obstacle to successfully introducing Gandalf as he will either love him or hate him and I know if Mr Bump accepts Gandalf then Tiggy will as she is so easy going!

I would be interested to know what other people's views are :)

I won't be introducing them for at least another couple of weeks as Gandalf only had his op today so is feeling very sorry for himself!

hey there, i recently successfully bonded my v. fiesty and recently neutered girl to my two bonded boys. i did it over a short space of time all together. as my girl is the most agressive i kept her in a restricted space whilst the boys wondered round the dining room untill she had stopped lunging at them and simply ignorred them when they came near her cage. it took half a day...then i put them all in a small and totally new place to all of them, the bathroom. there they had little traction on the floor coz of the tiles...i think that helped...and i kept the cat in the room as a distraction to bernie coz she usually asserts her authority on him too! :roll:

within a short space of time Al, the previously alfa male when it was just him and Steve, had submitted to Bernie's agression and became submissive. i then kept them all together for the next few nights in my room so i could keep an eye on them. there was a few scuffles, just chasing and a bit of mounting, and then everything was hunkey dorey. they now, just a few days later, all share a new house and are happy together. they all snuggle up at night and play chuck the leaf together merrily :lol:

i was v worried about how my bonding would go as bern is so teratorial. just give it a go! and don't be too quick to jump in...let them sort out who is boss, unless things get serious.

a word of warning tho, i have given al a precausonary antibiotic coz he got a little bite on his back. be sure to check for scabs, al got an infected bite from steve last year which developed into a tumer and had to be opperated on, if i had noticed the tiny little cut sooner and given meds he would have been fine. the boys love eachother to bits so i don't know why he got it!

i'm sure you will be able to see the right thing to do when they all meet eachother. you know them all best of all, i'd say play it by ear. :wink:

smallbrownfrog said:
i kept the cat in the room as a distraction to bernie coz she usually asserts her authority on him too!

share a new house and are happy together. they all snuggle up at night and play chuck the leaf together merrily :lol:

quote]

:lol: Bernie sounds like quite a character :lol:

Glad your bonding turned out successfully. They have been in the same room as Gandalf pre - spay (obviously in seperate pens) and Tiggy just ignored him, and Gandalf and Mr Bump raced up and down the cage and took it in turns to chin each other. There were one or two scuffles through the bar but they didn't seem too aggressive with each other. The only reason I stopped doing this is Gandalf kept spraying Mr B and poor Mr B didn't have a clue why he kept ending up covered in wee - you should have seen his little face :lol:

Will also keep an eye out for cuts etc Thanks very much for the advice :)

yeah bernie's a real princess! she put's everyone in their place! sounds like you will be successful if you just stick em together in a neutral space. i didn't separate mine coz i didn't want to make them all fight again. i figured it would make more sence to just let them sort it out once and get used to it. seemed to work for them. :D

Back