• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobtails Rabbit and GP Rescue-No Longer Taking in Rabbits

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
'Update on Bobtails current status following the outbreak of VHD2 last year.

We at Bobtails have always had a non-destruct policy regarding any animals in the rescue, unless of course it is in the best interest of the animal to relieve their suffering. So any rabbits or guinea pigs that cannot be re homed for any reason spend their lives with us or our foster carers, receiving the best care and quality of life we can give them.

As it currently stands we are full with rabbits that cannot be rehomed for varying reasons, therefore we have made the decision that for the foreseeable future we will be operating as a Rabbit Sanctuary not a re-homing centre, so will be unable to admit any more rabbits into Bobtails at present. The exception being rabbits that have previously been adopted from us, if they are ex Bobtail animals please contact us for advice.

This decision will not affect Guinea Pigs, we will continue to operate as normal, rescue & re-homing.
'

Reading that sad statement from Delia and Jim, reminded me that one of the first times I went to Bobtails was to collect a rabbit and take him to live with Jay and John, when they were still in Wales. I wonder how they are?

Reading that sad statement from Delia and Jim, reminded me that one of the first times I went to Bobtails was to collect a rabbit and take him to live with Jay and John, when they were still in Wales. I wonder how they are?

I know a few years back Jay was extremely poorly :cry: Not heard anything from or about them for a few years now :cry:

Was the Rabbit you took to them a Himilayan Rex , a group having been rescued by Delia. The Rexes had been starved and deprived of water for several days :cry:? If so I took one on too, Rupert

lMAeWoU.jpg

I haven't heard from them for several years either. They both worked so hard for the disabled rabbits in their care.
The rabbit I took up to them from Bobtails was a Netherland Dwarf. Rupert Rex was beautiful!

I haven't heard from them for several years either. They both worked so hard for the disabled rabbits in their care.
The rabbit I took up to them from Bobtails was a Netherland Dwarf. Rupert Rex was beautiful!

Indeed they did. I know they closed the Sanctuary doors to new intakes in 2011

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...yes-now-closed-thank-you-all-for-your-support

Subsequently I know that Jay was seriously ill. I do hope that she and John are doing as well as possible.

Unfortunately it seems that a few Rescues get into this situation, the rescue where I help out has a couple of rabbits that are unrehomeable due to behaviour issues or poor health, and they just fill up. We have another quite large rescue for GPs and rabbits a few miles away, and they have announced they are no longer taking in rabbits as they are full up and not rehoming. I know they take in Rexes from a breeder when they are too old for showing and breeding, which is a situation that elicits different opinions!

Indeed they did. I know they closed the Sanctuary doors to new intakes in 2011

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...yes-now-closed-thank-you-all-for-your-support

Subsequently I know that Jay was seriously ill. I do hope that she and John are doing as well as possible.
I know Jay would have MS flare-ups, which made things difficult for John as he tried to cope with everything despite his own declining health following his serious accident on the Mersey. I have nothing but admiration for people like Delia, Jim, Jay, John, et al, who are totally selfless in their dedication to rabbit welfare.

I remember Jay and John
They took in several bunnies from us . The first time I visited them in Wales I was so impressed with what they did .
The last one they took from us was a French lop that had lost the use of her back legs after an op . They had moved from Wales to Scotland by then . I heard from Jay a few times after that with updates but after the bunny died we sadly lost touch .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back