PDA

View Full Version : My beautiful girl...

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 02:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/NiceBuns/Heidi2.jpg

At 1:00 today I was sitting here at my PC and I saw a sudden movement. All of a sudden my rabbit Heidi started thrashing around violently. She was all streched out and flinging around for about 1 minute. It seemed like an eternity. I bent down to calm her down and pick her up. She was barely breathing. I was scared to pick her up because it looked like she
had broken her neck. I did anyway because we obviously needed the vet immediately. She was covered in pee and wet poo. She had completely evacuated her bowels. The smell was horrendous. She was totally limp and her head kept falling backward. I got her wrapped in a towel and ran to the neighbours for a safe driver. I was/am a mess.
She died as soon as we were in the car. Not more than 5 or 6 mins since she had the seizure. What on earth happened there? She was fine this morning. She ate loads, groomed herself and Toby. What on earth could I have done differently? It was over in a matter of minutes with no warning.
She eats the same food as the other rabbits, she is very athletic and healthy. I am stunned tbh.
My poor beautiful coffee nose bun. It still not really sinking in.

Bertie
22-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Blimey. That's horrible. How old was she?

Lynn
22-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Aw Andrea I don't know what to say. How awful it must have been for you, and such a gorgeous little girl :(

Does the vet have any idea what might have happened to her?

Thinking of you.

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 02:52 PM
8 months

bunnyhuggger
22-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Could it maybe have been a massive stroke? How dreadful for you Andrea *hug*

Adele
22-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Oh Andrea :cry: I am so, so sorry for you, we are thinking of you and send you lots of love.

Please do not think its was anything you did/ did not do, these things can happen with rabbits, and they hide illness so well, and often eat, toilet normally and run around madly right until they die.
It is a nasty and devastating shock when it happens, but its sounds like poor Heidi had a stroke or heart attack, as Lynda suggested. :?
It is very difficult to guess without having been there.

What matters now is you, and we are here if you need us.
Big hug coming your way
Adele

BugBabe
22-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Sending you and Toby Big (((((((HUGS)))))))
I hope you get some answers so you can get your head round it all!
Lots of love xx

Mogs
22-10-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm really soory about your loss, it is completely devistating when this happens but don't blame yourself I'm sure you could not have done more.

I have had something similar happen and I put it down to a stroke, like you I got a friend to drive me to the vets but by the time I got there my bunny was gone, she was also well previously and no signs of illness.

Thinking of you

Mogs

Jaypot
22-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Oh I am so very sorry :cry: She was so lovely looking and I bet she had a wonderful nature as well. Oh my, what a shock for you.
It could have been a stroke or a bleed in the brain - to be honest I would have the vet find out as you will only worry and keep going over "could I have done more".
Losing Dutchess on Tuesday was a terrible shock as well - she had been left for 3 minutes, that was all. She was fit and well, no signs of anything wrong - John went in to say hello and give tickles, he went to get some fresh greens for Dutchess and Duke and within those 3 minutes she had left us :cry: The vet has said that her heart just stopped - she was a six year old large French Lop - God how we miss her.
We still question ourselves all the time - it is a natural thing to do when you love someone so much.
Run free Heidi - forever in the eternal sunshine now.

Kara
22-10-2004, 03:08 PM
OMG I am stunned, I am so sorry for your sudden loss.

:( lost for words here :cry:

Kara x

Thumps
22-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Oh god Andrea, Im so sorry to hear this. What a beautiful girl. What a terrible shock for you and your family.
Big hugs coming your way!

Angela

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Losing Dutchess on Tuesday was a terrible shock as well - she had been left for 3 minutes, that was all. She was fit and well, no signs of anything wrong - John went in to say hello and give tickles, he went to get some fresh greens for Dutchess and Duke and within those 3 minutes she had left us :cry: The vet has said that her heart just stopped - she was a six year old large French Lop - God how we miss her.
We still question ourselves all the time - it is a natural thing to do when you love someone so much.
Run free Heidi - forever in the eternal sunshine now.

This is my first pet to die. Jay I don't know how you cope with all those older poorly bunnies. I would be worried sick all the time. You do such a great job. It is when something like this happens to yourself you realise how selfless and giving other people are. I don't want any other bun. I want Heidi back. But you just keep on taking them in, loving them and losing them. It must be awful for you sometimes. I admire you.

MandyM
22-10-2004, 03:42 PM
OMG I'm so sorry to hear this, what a complete shock for you, sending my thoughts and big hugs at this very sad time x

Andi, Boy of Destiny!
22-10-2004, 03:45 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. Our rabbit Daddy had what we think was a stroke a while ago; he went very floppy and "dim" and died that night. :(

beck
22-10-2004, 03:58 PM
So sorry to hear this sad news. Such a beautiful girl.
Thinking of you at this sad time.

Tamsin
22-10-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm really sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful bunny. It really does sound like there was nothing you could have done. As you say, there was no warning.

Perhaps your vet can give you some idea of the cause and help give you a little closure even though it won't help the missing her.

Tamsin

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 04:19 PM
What matters now is you, and we are here if you need us.
Big hug coming your way
Adele

Speaking of what matters now, I have no experience with bereavemnt.
How is Toby feeling now? He is stood in the corner of his hutch facing the corner.
After she died I put her in his hutch for a minute. He went over and smelled her, put his face right up to hers and then turned around. He knows she is dead.
Will he be heartbroken? Lonely? Angry?
Does he want to be bonded again? How long do we wait?
<sigh> It's gonna be a tough weekend.

Rallybunny
22-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Sorry to hear of you're loss Andrea, please don't blame yourself. I hope the vet can find some answers for you. Lots of hugs from me & Evo XXXX

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 04:24 PM
My vet just rang. She thinks she had a massive stroke.
No warning, they couldn't have helped her.

Just as a precaution, I will be doing all the hutches with Vircon. I will also be checking over the weekend for head tilt, uncontrolled bladders, and waek back legs. Next week we are going to start a worming course as well just in case.

Thanks everybody for all of your support. I never thought it would feel like this.

Bertie
22-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Will he be heartbroken? Lonely? Angry?
Does he want to be bonded again? How long do we wait?
<sigh> It's gonna be a tough weekend.

He might be scared. When Chips lost his brother he went really quiet and when we let him out to play he would just hide behind the sofa. It was heartbreaking. I think seeing their partner dead is an important thing though. They do understand what's happened. I think if they don't see that they're dead you'll have them searching around for their lost bunny. When we have to take one of the bunnies to the vets, them being gone always puts Chips in a very nervous mood. It takes him a good while of sniffing at them and hopping about until he's satisfied that everything is back to normal.

I found with Chips that it was important to get him bonded again quickly. He just seemed scared that whatever had happened to Daddy was going to happen to him. He would run away from us and cower, sit huddled in fear in his cage. I know I'm antropomorphising, but that's really what it seemed like. It was horrible. When we brought back Cassidy it really did help. Just smelling another bunny in the flat brought him out of it. Even though we couldn't get them bonded straight away, it calmed him down and started him worrying about this new rabbit, rather than his dead brother. He started behaving like a normal bunny again.

Definitely give him a couple of days to get used to being alone, but rabbits don't need as long as people do to get over their grief. We were going to give Chips a few weeks, but in the end we only managed a week because he really wasn't coping with being alone. Obviously it depends on the bunny, but don't feel you have to wait a 'respectable' period. I think you'll probably know if he needs a new friend or if he needs some time alone.

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Poor little cheese.

Great advice Bertie. Thanks very much.
I can't imagine loving another bun at the moment. It hurts too much when they go. I am hoping I that I will change my mind when I look on rabbit re-home.
She was just so little and Toby is such a character. They worm their way into your heart and you can't do anything about it.

I want her back so much. Just 1 more cuddle.

luvabun
22-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Oh my God that must have been so awful for you. I'm totally ignorant and did not realise such things could happen to our precious buns. A real wake up call. Lots of love and hugs

riaob1
22-10-2004, 06:49 PM
so sorry to hear about your loss - it is devestating when they die so suddenly, bobs died after a long illness buet Leela died very suddenly and that was much worse.

I really feel for your loss and will send you reiki to help.

with much love

maria

Mubby
22-10-2004, 07:03 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: Hiedi....

thinking of you cutey marshmallow....

sweet dreams under the plum tree little one xxx

Dorothy
22-10-2004, 07:13 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, it must have been awful for you, what a dreadfull thing to happen. Thank goodness you were at home and could be with her at that momment. Sending big hugs out to you and thinking of you.

cashmincal
22-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Sorry to hear Andrea.

Sending hugs <(.........)>

Clare

Jules
22-10-2004, 07:42 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss Andrea :cry: :cry:

Holly Go-Lightly
22-10-2004, 08:20 PM
so sorry to hear about your loss - it is devestating when they die so suddenly, bobs died after a long illness buet Leela died very suddenly and that was much worse.

I really feel for your loss and will send you reiki to help.

with much love

maria

Thank you Maria. Tonight was very difficult for James and I. Our closest friends live next door on either side. One of them has been diagnosed with very serious cancer and both she and her partner are suffering terribly. It is so dreadful when you can't do anything. Her "husband" came around tonight to collect thier supper and he is just in so much shock, it huurts to look him in the eye. It put things in perspective for James and I. We feel bad for having such strong feelings for "just a rabbit" but we can't help it. And bloody hell, when it rains, it pours.

All of your thoughts, prayers and energy are very much appreciated right now. I am feeling very small and not in control of anything.

Toby
22-10-2004, 08:34 PM
I am so so so sorry to hear about your fluffy friend today! There really wasn't anything you could have done. Toby is really old and as much as I hate the thought I know that his time is approaching, nor matter how much you prepare for the worst its always awful. :cry:

jredk04
22-10-2004, 08:41 PM
really sad for your loss and don't feel bad for feeling so sad, she was part of your family. huge hug and cuddle. x

sunshine
22-10-2004, 09:00 PM
:cry: Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear about Heidi. She was a sweetheart. At least you were with her when she died. Please take comfort it the fact she had a short but lovely life with you, something many rabbits don't get the chance of.

Joanne
22-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I am really sorry it is so hard when you have to see it happen when fudge went after a short illness i put him in his basket to go to the vet and he went like that was dead in 1 min.Not some thing i ever want to see again take care.

MandyM
22-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Oh Andrea, I've just been reading your posts and I just feel for you both so much, I lost both of my beautiful boys just over 10 months ago within weeks of each other, believe me the hurt and pain gets easier, just take things a day at a time. Sending, love and big hugs for you all. As the others have said we are here for you, take care xx

~Lisa~
22-10-2004, 10:45 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss :(
Sending many hugs your way... she was a beautiful girl.

rooster
22-10-2004, 11:00 PM
i'm so so sorry,

Amelia
22-10-2004, 11:59 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss :(

Thinking of you

honeybunny
23-10-2004, 12:07 AM
What an awful thing to happen. I'm so sorry.
I agree with others on here who say your other bunny will not grieve like a human and will benefit from a new partner ..dont think of it as replacing Heidi but as giving another bunny a chance for a space in your heart in honour of her.

bluebunny
23-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Iam so sorry to hear whats happened to your beautifull bunny,as others have said you must not blame yourself.i know very much how you are feeling its nearly a month since i lost william i still think about him everyday i still cant belive he has gone. Everyday it will get easy i never thought it would but trust me i feel 10 times better than i did at the time.
take care
marie

bunnytales
23-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Andrea - sending you a huge hug - what sad news and what a beautiful girlie she was.

I can only ditto everything already said here but she was so lucky to have found you and had a mum who loved and cared for her.

Thinking of you.

Nix
23-10-2004, 05:12 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss, it must have been a real shock to lose her that way.

Bertie
23-10-2004, 06:22 PM
dont think of it as replacing Heidi but as giving another bunny a chance for a space in your heart in honour of her.

Exactly. I know it feels really callous that the first thing you do after your bunny has died is to go out and get another one, but you're just doing what's best for the bunny that's been left behind.

Holly Go-Lightly
23-10-2004, 07:34 PM
James buried her today under the huge plum tree in the back garden. He put a rose and a carrot in with her.
Sad day for us.

I will think about another bun. I just can't imagine finding one I like as much. It will have to be a rescue bunny who needs us as much as we need her. We can all take it slow and make friends.

Mubby
23-10-2004, 07:42 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sleep well Marshmallow xxx

Denny
24-10-2004, 12:26 PM
I am really sorry to hear this sad news, Heidi was a real stunner. My thoughts r with u at this sad time. Like so many who have loved and lost, they are always in our thoughts but forever in our heart.

Bob
24-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Andrea, I don't know of anything to say to you that will make things better and I am not good at expressing my feelings over things like this. Just wanted to add to the list of all the people that share in your sadness and your loss.

Best wishes

Bob

bunnygran
24-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Andrea, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It really is devestating to lose a much loved bunny.

bunnymyhoney57
24-10-2004, 04:22 PM
So sorry to hear the news.How awfull- it happened so quickly it must have been a seizure or something like that.We a re all thinking of you at this sad time
Lynne

Lizzie
25-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Oh Andrea, I am so dreadfully sorry about Heidi, I hadn't looked at this post until now as I didn't imagine it would be so awful. I know EXACTLY what you mean about wishing that you could have just ONE more cuddle and say good-bye, I just didn't feel that I said good-bye to Charlie and it still hurts but the pain does get easier. I also know what you mean about not being able to love another bunny as much, Charlie was my best boy and nobody will ever replace him! But I do love the others dearly.

I though Polly looked lonely at first without him and I daresay she was a bit bewildered but she seems fine and dandy now and, to be honest, at the moment I can't face the inevitable fisticuffs that an attempt at bonding will produce!

My heart goes out to you, she was such a beautiful girl and you must only have had a short time with her: let's hope that she is skipping at Rainbow Bridge with William and Charlie! Look after yourself!

Bunnysam
25-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Andrea I am so sorry to read this post. What a dreadful weekend for you. I just want to say that I am thinking of you and hope each day becomes more bearable.

Little Heidi was beautiful. Remember that she had a lovely lucky life with you and that is important.

x

Andi, Boy of Destiny!
25-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I will think about another bun. I just can't imagine finding one I like as much. It will have to be a rescue bunny who needs us as much as we need her. We can all take it slow and make friends.

I think it's important for your other bunny to have a friend again - as Bertie said, Chips found it very stressful to be on his own once Daddy was gone, but he perked up again once Cassidy arrived.

A new rabbit isn't in any way a replacement or a substitute. It's another relationship. Just see if there's one that your bunny likes at any nearby rescues.

victoria bradley
25-10-2004, 01:03 PM
hi andrea

i truly feel for you. about 3 yrs ago we woke to find our snoop had passed away unexpectedly & it was terrible to find him. i still wish i had been with him when it had happened so he wasnt alone. i know its cliche but time is a real healer. the pain never truly goes & even now i hurt a little when i think of him.

:) but now i have 4 beautiful darlings, 3 from rescue centres that my fella and i adore. we were apprehensive about taking on more rabbits but after a little time we found there are so many in need with their own personalities that we just had to get back on the horse so to speak.

take care xx :wink: