• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help! New to Rabbits, and Pregnant Does having arising issues! Vet won't help

Giraffly

New Kit
Story time, some background information:
You can skip this and go to the TL;DR (Too long;Didn't Read) portion below.

Hello there, my name is Hana and I work as a dog groomer in Israel at a local Pet Supplies and Pet Shop store. Throughout my years of working there, they got rabbits during my one off year when I went to volunteer for the government. When I returned I was shocked and appalled at the inhumane treatments these rabbits were getting!

The females were perpetually pregnant since they were housed with a buck, and their litters died overnight because it was so cold at the store along with the fact that the rabbits were kept outside in a larger enclosure during the day (through all seasons mind you; heat of summer or cold of winter) so any nesting attempts they made during that time were worthless. The kits would be born underfoot of about 4 rabbits in total, and trampled and scratched up and dead by the time anyone found them at 9 am when the store opened.
It was a horrible and sickening treatment.
Each rabbit was so frail and sickly, their fur was clumpy and thin, and they were so skittish and scared of humans.

There was no proper separation between bucks either, and if someone made the mistake of putting ALL the rabbits out at once, the bucks would be covered in painful scabs about the size of my thumb by the end of the day, leaving blood trails everywhere.

There are two distinctions I should make about the rabbits at work:
There is the 'Harem' which consists of all brown rabbits and made up of 1 buck, and 3 does. (I don't know what happened to the 4th. I came into work one day and she was gone. I feared the worst. And I never could find out what happened.) They are kept in an empty fish aquarium.

Then there are a series of 'Bachelors' that all exist in odd cages of whatever will work. (Right now there are 2 of Bachelors in cages that are much too small.) Sometimes these switch out with the other store that takes much better care of them, but can only house about 2 or 3 at a time.

I currently live at home while I study for SATs to enter college next year. So after speaking with my family about the situation, and going over everything I'd need to do and prepare (I've logged over 60 hours of Rabbit research, but this is the first time I'm going to the online forums personally for help.) so I could at least take home the Does:
My plan was to separate the 'Harem' and keep the Does with me so they could try and have a successful litter and keep the kits from dying. And hopefully, to sell them and get them adopted from my house rather than return them to the pet shop.
I took home 1 Doe (Her name is Mona) that I knew was giving birth sometime that week, but I missed her birthing by 1 day and found the dead and frozen litter in the outside enclosure. (She had given birth during the day?? I couldn't find much information about this online. . . .I have no clue why she did this. I assume she realized that after 6 litters from 3/4 does that all died, maybe she should try something different and adapted. Is this possible?)
She was left overnight with the buck and other does; no doubt impregnated again. So I took Mona home anyways to let her rest and relax a bit to try and get her strength up for the next litter.

Upon her arrival and her getting used to me, I made the shocking discovery of just HOW thin Mona was: I could feel every bone and count every rib. Her shoulder blades were getting to the point that they started to rub together and the spines on her back were actually protruding a bit when petted. I made plans to take home the other 2 Does as soon as possible. Lisa and Lola joined their sister Mona 2 days later.

TL;DR:
So now I have 3 Does living with me! And here's where I need some help. . . . This legit happened about 1/2 hours ago.

I knew juuuust about when another Doe was due (Lisa), and I marked my Calendar for Jan 31st/Feb 1st. But lo and behold, when I was cleaning out their pen today, there were kits in the nesting Box I had built and introduced to them!
I had already moved Mona and Lola elsewhere so I could clean easier, but I discovered the kits before I moved Momma Lisa.. Finished up cleaning and left her alone instead.
I believe they might have been born last night or the night before Momma was a bit alert and nervous so I have yet to check on the state of the kits. But I saw some pink legs and bodies squirming and moving from underneath the fur~!

I went to check on Mona and Lola and I saw something terrifying . . . .Lola was tearing at something and upon closer inspection it was a Kit!
I had moved her no more than 5-10 minutes ago MAX! I freaked out and got my Mother who had a Nursing degree once upon a time and wouldn't hyperventilate at the sight of blood like I would. She dealt with the dead kit while I made up a makeshift Nesting box to put in the room with Lola and Mona since I for SURE wasn't going to move them right after that! (The nesting box is a cardboard box with a shirt over it so that the neck hole makes an entrance. Filled with clothe, hay, and a bit of fluff and fur from the other nesting box.)
Mother asked me to look up newborn kits, "Like, really new. With the umbilical cord like this kit had." and she realized that this kit must have been born prematurely, judging by how unformed the eyes were and other features around the face and limbs. So now I have some questions:

-Did Lola give birth prematurely because I carried her? Or was I handling her incorrectly? Or because of stress from being moved? Some other reason?

-Will 2 Does share the same kit box? In case there were other premature kits born with the others?

-Can I keep 2 Does together in the same enclosure each with their own litter and own nesting boxes? (I could continue with the makeshift one, and change it every few days if it gets soiled) Will they try and harm the other litter?

-What about Mona? The 3rd Doe that gave birth during the day, will she harm or cause trouble for the babies?

-I had no clue what part of the cycle Lola was on, but because of this premature birth, how far along should I guess she is? (There aren't other obvious signs of Kindling?)

-What should I do about Lola now that she was moved to a different place and gave birth? (Only to 1 kit though) Should I leave her? Or move her back to her familiar cage?

-Any other advice you can give me?

I've spoken to the local vet. And as much as she disapproves of the inhumane treatment from the pet store, there's nothing she can do about it or at least nothing she hasn't already tried. I spoke with her on a few subjects, (Like how to treat wounds for the Bucks that were always fighting) but she isn't the most helpful, and actually doesn't know too much about rabbits, along with refusing to do a Spay or Neuter for a rabbit because "It's too small to do such a surgery."
She recommended I try to talk to vets in Tel Aviv (2 hours by car away) since she didn't know of anyone nearby that did much with Rabbits.
Everything I've done so far has been from online research and now I'm going to the forums. Please, I'm desperate here! :cry:

I would leave Lola and her litter where they are now as moving them again will be stressful and the other two Does may not accept her back.

I would keep a very close eye on her as her kindling was obviously not 'normal'. If she has only delivered one more Kit after the stillborn one then she may have some retained kits. Should this be the case then it would be a surgical emergency, although I hear what you are saying about your local Vet's expertise as far as Rabbits are concerned.

There are many possible reasons why Lola may have kindled prematurely- stress and/or illness being two possibilities.

It is not ideal to have 2 nursing Does living together in the same enclosure, but it can be done and from what you have said it sounds as though that scenario is one both Does will be all too familiar with. I would provide 2 nesting boxes if you are going to house the two Does together.

Zoobec has given you a link to some useful information about Breeding/Unexpected Litters

You may obtain additional advice if you sign up to a Forum that focuses specifically on breeding. There are a few Breeders on here, but not many.

This is a US based Forum with a section for Breeders

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/

I am sorry you have this awful situation. Moving a pregnant Doe can make her abort her babies, or if she feels unable to care for them she might eat them or kill them. I don't know if 2 Does would share the same nest box, in the wild they won't, they fight over a nest box. These are situations that most of us on here haven't experiences. I think your best bet is to use your common sense and just do your best for these rabbit. They sound like they are underweight so need time to be built up. Having litter after litter will drain Calcium from their teeth and bones resulting in loose teeth and arthritis. Sorry I can't be more helpful and I wish you luck with these poor bunnies.

Thank you so much! Just went and read everything up to 'Taking on a Baby Bunny' and there's a lot of good information there. I'm gonna have to figure out how to do the daily nest check without stressing out Momma Lisa, she's been very territorial with this litter so far and her last litter that didn't make it. Wish me luck, and thanks again~! :D

But still! That's very important information, what would you recommend for upping their calcium intake?

I'll be working on getting them even more space so I can fit in the new nesting box (It's a bit bulky so) for them. Do you think it'd be safe to move the Mother and her nesting box into a bigger enclosure instead after a few days?
The Preemie Mom hasn't shown any other signs of kindling, so I assume I have at least a few days of prep for any situations that might arise. . . . In the meantime, your information has already been helpful!

Lola did not give birth to any other kits except the one, and after an hour I checked on her and she was back to her sassy self so it seems like she's alright. I've actually been wondering if she had possibly reabsorbed the fetuses of a litter since she hadn't been showing any signs for about 2/3 weeks. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the two uterus horns.

The enclosure they're own now is gonna be just a bit too squishy if I add in the big cardboard box, so I'll be setting up a second space for Lola immediately adjacent to the 1st enclosure so that the 3 of them can all still socialize.

I've registered and posted on a few other sites as well and have gotten some good feedback. (Red that link and it was INDEED very useful! I subbed to it) So hopefully I can get these girls in an OK situation. Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

But still! That's very important information, what would you recommend for upping their calcium intake?

I'll be working on getting them even more space so I can fit in the new nesting box (It's a bit bulky so) for them. Do you think it'd be safe to move the Mother and her nesting box into a bigger enclosure instead after a few days?
The Preemie Mom hasn't shown any other signs of kindling, so I assume I have at least a few days of prep for any situations that might arise. . . . In the meantime, your information has already been helpful!

Alfalfa hay is high in calcium if you can get this, kale is a good veg. I'll have look on line for anything else. It's not good to move Mum after she has kindled, even before might upset her.

Alfalfa hay is high in calcium if you can get this, kale is a good veg. I'll have look on line for anything else. It's not good to move Mum after she has kindled, even before might upset her.

Alfalfa? Great!! I had researched it was pretty good for helping underweight rabbits so I've been feeding them that. . . . also all the pet stores I went to only sell. . . .alfalfa? Strangely enough. So I'm glad that that worked out okay.
I'll see about slowly introducing kale to them.

For now, all the Moms are together. I'll be keeping careful watch and if I see anything out of the ordinary between the 3 sisters attitude/behavior wise, I'll consider moving Lola (very hesitant for her though) or Mona and letting Lisa and her litter be.

Thank you for your help!!

Thank you for that link! I'll be introducing 1 or 2 foods from the list they provided to help with the calcium intakes~

Back