• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Albert is very poorly

JessBun

Mama Doe
So we've had a big upset and worry over Albert yesterday. He's usually a very happy piggy and popcorns and runs about his cage lots, loves running about outside his cage and is very wheeky and beggy for extra food. Thursday late evening he was very quiet and I just noticed the lack of his presence, is the best way I can put it. We brought him out for a cuddle, he flopped on OH and seemed to perk up. He had very small plug of poop at the entrance to his bottom which we gently removed. Had a nibble of a treat. Put him back in his clean cage, which he usually loves clean cage time and runs about like mad - this time he didn't, so we knew something was up. He did however drink and was nibbling his hay. Not many poops but the ones he was produced were normal, if a little wet.

Friday morning was much the same except he was very huddled in a corner. Hadn't touched his pellets. So vets appointment for 6.15pm. The vet checked his temp, listened to his heart and breathing and weighed him - all fine. Checked his teeth. When the vet was checking his tummy, he did cry very quietly a little indicating pain/discomfort in the lower right area of his abdomen. I told the vet we'd fed everybody a small amount of cabbage, broccoli and tomato on the Wednesday evening so I think it may have been this. Although they are very used to this food (although we don't feed it very often to avoid upset tummies) everyone else is, touch wood fine. Her summary so far, until (IF) we have to do more checks, is he was unlucky with a bit of the food that maybe wasn't so good. She asked if I have other pigs, which I do, and told her that a week ago I got two new pigs, two young sows which are housed near to him but haven't come into contact with him (obviously!). I have admittedly, and very stupidly, shared cleaning utensils (handbrush and shovel). She did mention Salmonella and told me to keep the poop I'd brought to show her, in the fridge incase they needed to test it.

She gave him two injections of what she said was pure water, but I guess was probably some saline solution as he was a bit dehydrated and had salty stuff round his eyes, sent me away with baytril and metacam for 2 days, plus recovery food to syringe food - I'm to bring him back if there's no improvement, and if course if he goes downhill rush him to emergency vets. He perked up quite a lot last night after dosing his meds and giving recovery food (which he loves!), but I think it was the metacam that masked discomfort. He pooped more after this. He is back to quiet ish this morning, although a bit better than before we took him the vets. I'm about to give him his baytril and recovery food again. He's drinking and eating hay. Can't give him another dose of metacam till this evening as it's once per day.

I am worried sick that I'm going to end up losing Albert. He is such a lovely happy pig, to see him like this is very upsetting. I'm confused there was no temp if he's poorly. Anyone had similar experience? Thank you xx

So we've had a big upset and worry over Albert yesterday. He's usually a very happy piggy and popcorns and runs about his cage lots, loves running about outside his cage and is very wheeky and beggy for extra food. Thursday late evening he was very quiet and I just noticed the lack of his presence, is the best way I can put it. We brought him out for a cuddle, he flopped on OH and seemed to perk up. He had very small plug of poop at the entrance to his bottom which we gently removed. Had a nibble of a treat. Put him back in his clean cage, which he usually loves clean cage time and runs about like mad - this time he didn't, so we knew something was up. He did however drink and was nibbling his hay. Not many poops but the ones he was produced were normal, if a little wet.

Friday morning was much the same except he was very huddled in a corner. Hadn't touched his pellets. So vets appointment for 6.15pm. The vet checked his temp, listened to his heart and breathing and weighed him - all fine. Checked his teeth. When the vet was checking his tummy, he did cry very quietly a little indicating pain/discomfort in the lower right area of his abdomen. I told the vet we'd fed everybody a small amount of cabbage, broccoli and tomato on the Wednesday evening so I think it may have been this. Although they are very used to this food (although we don't feed it very often to avoid upset tummies) everyone else is, touch wood fine. Her summary so far, until (IF) we have to do more checks, is he was unlucky with a bit of the food that maybe wasn't so good. She asked if I have other pigs, which I do, and told her that a week ago I got two new pigs, two young sows which are housed near to him but haven't come into contact with him (obviously!). I have admittedly, and very stupidly, shared cleaning utensils (handbrush and shovel). She did mention Salmonella and told me to keep the poop I'd brought to show her, in the fridge incase they needed to test it.

She gave him two injections of what she said was pure water, but I guess was probably some saline solution as he was a bit dehydrated and had salty stuff round his eyes, sent me away with baytril and metacam for 2 days, plus recovery food to syringe food - I'm to bring him back if there's no improvement, and if course if he goes downhill rush him to emergency vets. He perked up quite a lot last night after dosing his meds and giving recovery food (which he loves!), but I think it was the metacam that masked discomfort. He pooped more after this. He is back to quiet ish this morning, although a bit better than before we took him the vets. I'm about to give him his baytril and recovery food again. He's drinking and eating hay. Can't give him another dose of metacam till this evening as it's once per day.

I am worried sick that I'm going to end up losing Albert. He is such a lovely happy pig, to see him like this is very upsetting. I'm confused there was no temp if he's poorly. Anyone had similar experience? Thank you xx

Poor Albert pig :cry: It's many years since I had GPs and I am not up to speed with their specific health issues. I know that bladder problems can often be involved when a Piggy is unwell. Not sure if the Vet alluded to that at all or if she felt it was definitely all a GI tract problem

A raised temperature does not always occur when an animal is unwell, with small furies hypothermia is more likely. A raised temperature is most likely to be seen in an acute viral infection, as in Rabbits who have been struck down by RHD.

I hope that Albert will feel a lot better soon xx

Sorry to hear about Albert, Jessbun :(

I hope he feels much better soon xx

Thank you all x We've given Albert a hot water bottle wrapped in a dressing gown to warm up on - he seems to appreciate a bit of tummy warmth. He flopped on it for a while and has moved off now. He's had his recovery food and his baytril this morning. He's also ate 15g of pellets overnight too. Still not himself, though. Jane she did not mention any bladder problems, didn't ask if he's peeing okay, but he seems to be. Of course that doesn't mean there's not an issue there. His gut did slow down, but obviously it can be the symptoms or secondary problem to another. It was very sudden. I hope he's going to be okay - I've thankfully never had any real health issues like this before, so it's very worrying X

Thank you BYB xxx

Albert is doing much better this evening. Still not 100% mind, but has really picked up this evening - that's before his evening antibiotics and his metacam which is great news. He put up quite the struggle dosing his meds just now - compared to last night and this morning, I don't think he had the energy before. I take that as a result :thumb: He doesn't seem anywhere near as uncomfortable or in pain. But gave him his metacam anyway just in case. Of course not trying to be too hopeful as I know small furries can often seem to get better then decline, but it's a good start.

Is it likely that Albie could have had a wee gut upset without an underlining issue? I always thought the gut upset/stasis was secondary to another cause, ie a symptom rather than it's own issue? It would useful to know. Xxx

I’m glad he seems to be feeling better. I don’t know anything about piggies so can’t advise, sending more vibes xx

So sorry to hear that Albert hasn't been well, really hope he's starting to feel better now bless him xxx

Thank you BYB xxx

Albert is doing much better this evening. Still not 100% mind, but has really picked up this evening - that's before his evening antibiotics and his metacam which is great news. He put up quite the struggle dosing his meds just now - compared to last night and this morning, I don't think he had the energy before. I take that as a result :thumb: He doesn't seem anywhere near as uncomfortable or in pain. But gave him his metacam anyway just in case. Of course not trying to be too hopeful as I know small furries can often seem to get better then decline, but it's a good start.

Is it likely that Albie could have had a wee gut upset without an underlining issue? I always thought the gut upset/stasis was secondary to another cause, ie a symptom rather than it's own issue? It would useful to know. Xxx

Good news Jessbun xx

Back