• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lop Rabbit ‘Chub Rub’?

SJ_R

Mama Doe
So we went to the vets today for Amy’s combi jab and to see about the bald patches at the base of her ears. I was absolutely convinced it would be mites, and was all prepared to get her the meds and decontaminate her whole environment. The vet had a look at the patches and took a skin scraping with tape; he found no parasites. He said it was most likely friction from her ears hanging down. The skin was pink and healthy, with no irritation, the patches symmetrical, and some flaky dandruff around the edges. She, essentially, has chub rub, enough to wear away the fur. He also said it was unlikely to grow back.

I’ve never heard of this before. I trust my vet; they don’t get a lot of rabbits, but he seems the most savvy. She doesn’t seem bothered at all by it, except when I fuss over it. I’m not sure what to do now, other than to keep an eye on it if it gets worse, or to get something for it myself. I’m going to clean her cage, but keep her furniture and bedding for now. I would need to throw out a lot of her things if she had mites, so that’s something.

So we went to the vets today for Amy’s combi jab and to see about the bald patches at the base of her ears. I was absolutely convinced it would be mites, and was all prepared to get her the meds and decontaminate her whole environment. The vet had a look at the patches and took a skin scraping with tape; he found no parasites. He said it was most likely friction from her ears hanging down. The skin was pink and healthy, with no irritation, the patches symmetrical, and some flaky dandruff around the edges. She, essentially, has chub rub, enough to wear away the fur. He also said it was unlikely to grow back.

I’ve never heard of this before. I trust my vet; they don’t get a lot of rabbits, but he seems the most savvy. She doesn’t seem bothered at all by it, except when I fuss over it. I’m not sure what to do now, other than to keep an eye on it if it gets worse, or to get something for it myself. I’m going to clean her cage, but keep her furniture and bedding for now. I would need to throw out a lot of her things if she had mites, so that’s something.

I assume there are no lumps at the base of her ears ?

Amy is an 'Uppy Eared' Rabbit isn't she ?

Nope; all the muscles seem normal. Inside is perfectly fine, too. She’s a little overweight, but not obese. She is a lop rabbit; sorry if that wasn’t clear.

I was slightly hoping it was mites, if only because I wanted her fur to grow back.

Nope; all the muscles seem normal. Inside is perfectly fine, too. She’s a little overweight, but not obese. She is a lop rabbit; sorry if that wasn’t clear.

I was slightly hoping it was mites, if only because I wanted her fur to grow back.

Is she a single Rabbit ? Sorry, I am a bit out of the loop and not sure :oops:

Yes, single and no contact with any other animal. The patches turned up a few months ago, after her RVHD1/2 jab. They’re between a twenty pence and fifty pence coins in size, at the base of each ear; I can take pictures later. There was some flaky dandruff a few weeks ago, but it cleared up. The rest of the coat is fine, aside from her normal near constant shedding.

ETA: I bought this spray: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/johnsons-cage-and-hutch-spray-250ml-aerosol to do her cage and the couch she spends her evenings on with me. I haven’t used it yet, and now I don’t know if I should. There’s also this I could get: http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/pets/anti-parasite-spot-on-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-beaphar

Last edited:
Yes, single and no contact with any other animal. The patches turned up a few months ago, after her RVHD1/2 jab. They’re between a twenty pence and fifty pence coins in size, at the base of each ear; I can take pictures later. There was some flaky dandruff a few weeks ago, but it cleared up. The rest of the coat is fine, aside from her normal near constant shedding.

ETA: I bought this spray: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/johnsons-cage-and-hutch-spray-250ml-aerosol to do her cage and the couch she spends her evenings on with me. I haven’t used it yet, and now I don’t know if I should. There’s also this I could get: http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wc...pot-on-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-beaphar

Personally I would not use it without actual evidence of mites being the problem. Also, anti parasitic products bought from Pet Shops are seldom effective as the dose of active ingredient is usually so low (to allow it to be sold OTC).

Fur loss as a result of a vaccine reaction usually occurs at the actual site the vaccination was given. That said, never say 'never' with Rabbits !!

I've seen something similar *once* before in a lop rabbit so I wonder if it is what the vet thinks it is after all?

Do her ears dip into the water bowl at all? Sometimes a bit of irritation from damp can cause a bald patch ...

Yeah, I didn’t want to do anything without knowing what it was, but wanted to be prepared for mites because of where she goes - and where her fur gets to!

It would just be like Amy to be this weird - either an odd vaccine reaction, or an odd fur rubbing place! The vet did say that there is sometimes loss around the injection site; I also wondered if the immune response triggered any mites originally on her to go crazy. Since she just got another jab, we’ll see if there’s another increase, or if it gets any worse over time. Right now I think I’ll stick to keeping an eye on it.

I've seen something similar *once* before in a lop rabbit so I wonder if it is what the vet thinks it is after all?

Do her ears dip into the water bowl at all? Sometimes a bit of irritation from damp can cause a bald patch ...

Vet seemed pretty confident that it was just from friction. Said the skin was smooth and healthy. She has a water bottle, not a bowl; dog crate and pen, with time in the living room for couch cuddles in the evening.

Vet seemed pretty confident that it was just from friction. Said the skin was smooth and healthy. She has a water bottle, not a bowl; dog crate and pen, with time in the living room for couch cuddles in the evening.

Have to say I agree with your vet at this point. The rabbit in question was a rescue, and we couldn't think of any other reason either.

I'd be interested to see what happens, but I hope perhaps the fur will grow over it in time ...

I hope it grows back, but unless it gets any bigger or flakier, or seems to affect her eyes and ears, I’ll let it alone for now.

I hope it grows back, but unless it gets any bigger or flakier, or seems to affect her eyes and ears, I’ll let it alone for now.

Yes I think so :)

Your vet could possibly consider ringworm in the future if the fur doesn't grow back, but otherwise leave well alone and watch :)

Back