• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kits Delivered by C-Section- Doe Subsequently Passed Away- Chances For Kits ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I realise that there may not be anyone on here able to answer this, but thought I'd ask as I do not belong to any Rabbit Breeding Forums.

Has anyone heard of a 'good' outcome for Kits who have to be hand reared from birth (by C section, Doe did not survive :cry:) ? I haven't, but I really hope that it might be possible xx

I'm afraid I have no help for this Jane, but didn't want to read and run.
I'm so sorry about the mum, but I hope the wee bubs may be spared and saved. xxxxxxx

Sorry for the loss of mum.
Our boy was hand reared after losing his mum, so it isn't always sad outcomes for the little ones. He is a cheeky nosey little soul too!

Sorry for the loss of mum.
Our boy was hand reared after losing his mum, so it isn't always sad outcomes for the little ones. He is a cheeky nosey little soul too!

I am glad to hear that your boy survived :love:

I have hand reared Kits, but from 3 weeks of age when their Mum passed away :cry: So the Kits did receive almost 3 weeks of their Mum's milk. I only know of orphaned Newborns surviving if a lactating Foster Doe can be found.

I have seen it happen once before in practice, many years ago but honestly I wouldn't think the survival rate would be great without the first feed from mum.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

my friend is a breeder (out in america) and she has had one litter where unfortunately she did have to hand rear them. mom had no interest in caring for them and kicked them out of the nest. sadly a couple had died of the cold by the time she found them as she gave birth during the night, but after that they were hand reared and the rest survived.

one of her breeding stock was also hand reared - but I have no idea from what age.

I hope they do manage to survive, it will be an uphill battle however :(

sadly with many animals when they have been born via c-section, personally I have never seen great results. a neighbour had a litter of puppies born via c-section as mom was having extreme complications, she also didn't produce any milk either. all of them passed away slowly one by one. it was quite sad.

vibes for all of the little babies, I hope they do well and end up growing into beautiful gentlebuns and ladybuns :love:

Back