• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Try to get a rabbit neutered, end up with a million degus!

randomname

Young Bun
As some of you may recall we had a rabbit, Jim, dumped on us just before Christmas. I have spent the day trying to arrange neutering. My vet quoted me £70, which is ok, a lot of the other vets wanted £80-£150. As the DWP has been messing me about non stop for the past 3 years I have less money than I should do (until I take them to court again) so I thought I'd look into getting a voucher or somehow lowering the cost, obviously without putting Jim at risk.
The PDSA offered us £50 neutering at their hospital but it's nearly 2 hours away so not really suitable.
The RSPCA local branch said they could do it for £10 if I take him to their approved vet in my town - I bit their hand off obviously :)
I can get Jim done next week, & in 8 weeks I can try him out with my lot, or get him a friend & his own set up - can't wait! He's so bored & lonely, he needs a friend desperately.

However, something totally unexpected happened - I spent aaaaagggges talking to the RSPCA coordinator, a lovely old lady who told me her entire life story, she was asking me about my experience in running a sanctuary from home & the animals we have cared for. I told her we mainly take herbivores - g.pigs, rabbits, chinchillas & degus. She got all excited, said they have rabbit people, cat people, reptile people, even birds of prey people but no chinchilla or degu people. I told her I'd previously adopted a colony of 5 degus from the RSPCA, have had rescue degus for a decade or so & am a helper on a forum much like this one but for goos & chins. She asked if I'd sign up for being the local degu person, I said I'd be happy to advise on nutrition/diet, housing, welfare etc & she could 'phone me any time if she had any questions (she's not online) Then she said would I be able to foster, help with adoptions, home checks, welfare etc. I told her I'm kinda skint & at full capacity & she said they can help with all that. So now I am an official crazy degu lady for the RSPCA & could be fostering some adorable squeekers - they pay for vets, cages, food etc so I can cope :)

Just got to get Jim sorted & I'll have room for a couple of cages of degus down the line. I really hope this makes a difference to the general level of ignorance that surrounds goos - even vets have little idea - my vet 'phones me occasionally with diet or behavioural questions & she's pretty clued up on them! Given they can live more than 10 years, I really hope it helps even one live a longer, healthier, happier life.

I blame Jim for all of this, it's all his fault :roll:

That's great, sharing knowledge and education is the best way to ensure animals are looked after properly. Just make sure you don't take on too many!

Back