• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur mites?

Melon_Pip

Young Bun
Noticed a few days ago that Tilly has a bald spot, very dandruffy, on her back... along the spine.
Spring fever has casued some debates about who's chief bun, with humping, so I assumed her husbun had pulled her fur out doing this. Now, I think it could be fur mites (cheyletiella parasitovorax) due to the dandruff.

Vet or is there something I can buy to treat it?

She is otherwise in good health, had a general checkup in early December and is currently racing around the back yard...

Also I'm curious as to where mites may have come from? They've not been going outside for weeks (too cold for their taste, I made them go out today as it's warmed up!)

Noticed a few days ago that Tilly has a bald spot, very dandruffy, on her back... along the spine.
Spring fever has casued some debates about who's chief bun, with humping, so I assumed her husbun had pulled her fur out doing this. Now, I think it could be fur mites (cheyletiella parasitovorax) due to the dandruff.

She is otherwise in good health, had a general checkup in early December and is currently racing around the back yard...

Also I'm curious as to where mites may have come from? They've not been going outside for weeks (too cold for their taste, I made them go out today as it's warmed up!)

This link may be useful

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

It is best to consult a Vet to obtain a definitive diagnosis and the most appropriate treatment. Mites usually clear up with a course (3 teatments, one every 10-14 days) of Ivermectin administered as a 'Spot On' treatment or via subcutaneous injection.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm

As mites can occur if a Rabbit's immune system is under challenge a general health check is always a good idea.

Good luck xx

What you've described does seem like a case of the mites! They often occur when a rabbit's immune system is depleted for some reason. Also, you would have to treat all rabbits as they are passed between one another quite easily.

You can get over the counter meds for that, but your vet will identify for sure and give the correct dosage per rabbit.

The normal treatment for mites is ivermectin:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Pharmaq_Ivermectin_Spot-On_Drops/c19097/

It's usually a spot on treatment, for both rabbits at the same time, and then it's repeated two weeks later. Some vets also repeat the dose a further two weeks after that to interrupt the life cycle of the mite

Good luck xx

Thanks. Going to vet today, will take both (I always do actually, for company on the ride).
Curious as to where the mites came from in the first place! On me, from a cat or something? Or from the rabbit hotel at Christmas?

Thanks. Going to vet today, will take both (I always do actually, for company on the ride).
Curious as to where the mites came from in the first place! On me, from a cat or something? Or from the rabbit hotel at Christmas?

The mites can be spread by cats and dogs, they can also come from hay xx

You're welcome :wave:

Fur mites can live on rabbits quite happily, and the rabbit's immune system keeps them in check. This is from the link I sent you:

It is suspected that mites may be present asymptomatically in small numbers on healthy rabbits.

So it only takes a small dip in the immune response for the mites to proliferate and get out of hand.

I'm pleased you're seeing the vet :thumb:

They've both now been to vet and had treatment for mites (although no mites were spotted under microscope, seems most likely thing).

I've read the links now - thanks Max! But have more questions...
The first link mentions treating the environment, but vet didn't mention it.... how much do I need to do? They have a flatweave rug in their indoor run, and a huge rug just outside the run (which is of course where they spend most of their time... I swear it was my room once..!) Do I need to clean these somehow?

Thanks

The other question was about temperature - I finally decided to heat my flat to a normal temperature over the past few weeks, and am now wondering if the (relative!) warmth has increased mites.

They've both now been to vet and had treatment for mites (although no mites were spotted under microscope, seems most likely thing).

I've read the links now - thanks Max! But have more questions...
The first link mentions treating the environment, but vet didn't mention it.... how much do I need to do? They have a flatweave rug in their indoor run, and a huge rug just outside the run (which is of course where they spend most of their time... I swear it was my room once..!) Do I need to clean these somehow?

Thanks

You're welcome, and sorry not to get back to you sooner :)

If you vacuum well that should be enough. Vets used to talk about spraying the environment, but it's not a good idea unless the infestation is really bad, and it doesn't sound to me like yours is at all :)

Back