• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My sweet bunny has died and I feel so guilty

Luryco

New Kit
My sweet bunny was nearly 10 and has had Gi problems and on meds for a year now. He took a blockage in his tear duct so as responsible owners took him to vet where he got eye cream and an anti inflammatory injection. We made an appointment for the following week and just before we took him he was playing with his blanket and didn’t look right. The vet checked him over said she could feel gas and gave him another injection. Next day we took him back he had eaten a little and had water and he got a steroid injection but still had quite a bit of gas and his stomach was enlarged.

We took him home and I finished my work late and I sat with a warm hot water bottle next to him. We called the emergency vet twice but just an answerphone (we had unfortunately called the wrong mobile number).
I put him in his carry case and lay on the couch beside him. I fell asleep and woke at 4am and he jumped out ran round then I put him in. I must have dozed again and woke at six and he looked terrible. We called emergency vet again the right number and she came as quick as she could due to snow. By this time he was convulsing

We eventually got the vet to put him to sleep but I have not stopped crying. He had bloat and I hate the thought of the pain he must have had before died.

I loved him so so much and feel so bad we didn’t get him put to sleep sooner I keep thinking of his death and how horrible it was for such a fantastic wee lad. I am so racked with guilt and sadness

My sweet bunny was nearly 10 and has had Gi problems and on meds for a year now. He took a blockage in his tear duct so as responsible owners took him to vet where he got eye cream and an anti inflammatory injection. We made an appointment for the following week and just before we took him he was playing with his blanket and didn’t look right. The vet checked him over said she could feel gas and gave him another injection. Next day we took him back he had eaten a little and had water and he got a steroid injection but still had quite a bit of gas and his stomach was enlarged.

We took him home and I finished my work late and I sat with a warm hot water bottle next to him. We called the emergency vet twice but just an answerphone (we had unfortunately called the wrong mobile number).
I put him in his carry case and lay on the couch beside him. I fell asleep and woke at 4am and he jumped out ran round then I put him in. I must have dozed again and woke at six and he looked terrible. We called emergency vet again the right number and she came as quick as she could due to snow. By this time he was convulsing

We eventually got the vet to put him to sleep but I have not stopped crying. He had bloat and I hate the thought of the pain he must have had before died.

I loved him so so much and feel so bad we didn’t get him put to sleep sooner I keep thinking of his death and how horrible it was for such a fantastic wee lad. I am so racked with guilt and sadness

Welcome to the Forum and I am so sorry to hear of your beautiful bunny's passing.

I know it's no consolation, but it's not your fault, and we can only do the best we can. You did your very best, and guilt is a normal but very sad part of grieving when we lose a friend.

Sending you loads of love and hugs at this sad time for you xx

I'm so very sorry to hear that you have lost your little bun. Please don't blame yourself, as MM said we can only do our best. Your little friend was obviously very well loved, I'm sure he knew that. Xx

I'm so sorry his time came. Losing a much loved bunny is such a raw & painful experience. In time I hope you can take comfort from the long & wonderfully happy life he must have shared with you

I can relate to this - I feel like this more often than not when a bunny friend dies. We can only do our best and rabbits can go downhill so fast. 10 was a good age for your bunny. This too will pass.

Thank you all for your kind words I’m sure I will be fine in time. I’m new to using forums and thought others may have had the same problem with their bunny. Thanks.

Back