• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weird bump/scab

pepperandclover

Young Bun
3d22565a547a9fab67443f0955d0035f.jpg
what is this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3d22565a547a9fab67443f0955d0035f.jpg
what is this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly looks like some sort of insect bite to me.

If it's a tick, then there's several types:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1803&aid=3106

You should get a vet to look at it.

Some info here:

Which ticks can rabbits get?
Rabbits can become affected by both families of ticks. As mentioned above, these families are Argasidae and Ixodidae ticks. These ticks are more easily identified by the appearance of their outer coverings.
The Ixodidae ticks can also be known as “hard-shelled ticks”. This is because their external surface, known as a scutum, is relatively hard. All members of this family of ticks are able to affect rabbits. One such tick from this family is known as Ixodes scapularis and is more commonly found in America. It is responsible for one form of tick paralysis. Hard-shelled ticks release a special secretion called cementum which means they are able to hold onto the host more strongly. These ticks can take up to a few days until they drop off naturally.

“Soft-shelled ticks” is the more commonly used name for the Argasidae ticks and these do not have a scutum. The cuticle of this family of ticks is soft and almost leathery in appearance. These ticks feed relatively quickly and may be full within a few hours. The soft-shelled ticks have a capitulum, or false head, which becomes hidden when the tick is viewed from its dorsal side.

How do I know if my rabbit has ticks?
Ticks are generally quite easy to spot on an affected animal. The tick can visibly be seen on the animal, or with animals with long fur, they can be felt. Rabbits are more commonly affected by ticks on their ears. The more blood the tick has ingested, the bigger it is and the easier it is to see. The rabbit itself may not be aware of the tick. This can be due to their small size or because of the numbing sensation the secretions may lead to.

Some tick infections may lead to paralysis or present signs of weakness. Severely affected animals which are highly infested with numerous ticks can lose a lot of blood. As a result, this can lead to anaemia. As ticks are able to transmit diseases, the signs and symptoms presented may be due to these infections. As a result the signs and symptoms following a tick bite can vary dramatically.

Back