• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small scab and dark skin!?!!

Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I have an almost 4 month old mini lop, Koda.
I've had him since he was 8 weeks and not had any issues apart from when he was around 10 ish weeks I've noticed that he had a Small scab on his back. I monitored very closely and it seemed to heal.
Now I've noticed that the scab has come back and the skin around it is dark.
The dark patch seems to be growing fur. He is behaving normally, eating, playing etc. When I look at the area he doesn't seem bothered. He Is fine with me even touching it.
He is a single rabbit.
I will take him to the vet hopefully next week but I just wondered whether anyone here has experienced something similar. I'm very worried because i wouldn't want anything bad to happen to my baby.
The photos I took make the area seem worse? Also the area I'm worried about is about 1x1cm
The area also doesn't seem to have much fur around it. The scab itself is very small it's just the dark patch I'm worried about!
Thank you so so so much in advance!!!!
Xx
0fd45e98fed0e1c4530a77b1924afc54.jpg
bb17e223093fffa1836444e79b270116.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've had him since he was 8 weeks and not had any issues apart from when he was around 10 ish weeks I've noticed that he had a Small scab on his back. I monitored very closely and it seemed to heal.
The dark patch seems to be growing fur. He is behaving normally, eating, playing etc. When I look at the area he doesn't seem bothered. He Is fine with me even touching it.
He is a single rabbit.
I will take him to the vet hopefully next week but I just wondered whether anyone here has experienced something similar. I'm very worried because i wouldn't want anything bad to happen to my baby.
The photos I took make the area seem worse? Also the area I'm worried about is about 1x1cm
The area also doesn't seem to have much fur around it. The scab itself is very small it's just the dark patch I'm worried about!
Xx

Has he been vaccinated in the last few weeks ?

He is a single rabbit.
Xx

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

You are correct, the black area is growing fur, so that's good. The scab/wound could be caused by him scratching himself. Are his nails kept short?

You might want to consult a vet in case it's fur mites. These are little burrowing creatures that can cause irritation. The treatment is very easy though, if this is the case:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

If he's been to the vet at all and had any vaccinations or injections, it can cause a little irritation at that point and that could also explain the scab you are seeing:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?284285-Scab-after-VHD-Vaccine

If it's this, it will clear up of it's own accord within three weeks. If it's mites, he will need treatment :)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

You are correct, the black area is growing fur, so that's good. The scab/wound could be caused by him scratching himself. Are his nails kept short?

You might want to consult a vet in case it's fur mites. These are little burrowing creatures that can cause irritation. The treatment is very easy though, if this is the case:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

If he's been to the vet at all and had any vaccinations or injections, it can cause a little irritation at that point and that could also explain the scab you are seeing:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?284285-Scab-after-VHD-Vaccine

If it's this, it will clear up of it's own accord within three weeks. If it's mites, he will need treatment :)
Thank you so so much for this reply! I can't even explain how worried I've been about my bunny.
I will keep am eye out on him and hope that it's not fur mites.

I very much appreciate you responding to my post!
I have cut his nails last week.
Thinking of it, he got the first scab whilst his nails were longer so maybe that is what caused it in the first place.

Thank you so so much for this reply! I can't even explain how worried I've been about my bunny.
I will keep am eye out on him and hope that it's not fur mites.

I very much appreciate you responding to my post!
I have cut his nails last week.
Thinking of it, he got the first scab whilst his nails were longer so maybe that is what caused it in the first place.

You are worried lots because you care lots :wave:

See how it heals. If it's OK and the scab drops off then all will be well. The fur loss could be due to mites, but really don't worry about that.

How about finding a vet (if you haven't) and talking to him about it at the visit when you go for the vaccinations? Rabbits need two vaccinations now - two visits a fortnight apart.

These are what's needed:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/vaccinations/

Back