• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In Love With My Bunnies

Beapig

Mama Doe
Before saving my bunny Ham last September, I had no particular interest in rabbits and was just focused on adopting a cat once our new house was up together.

At this very moment I'm sat outside in a coat and hat with Ham and Bea, letting them eat hay straight from the bag (special treat ;) ) and asking them what goodies they'd like from Amazon and Zooplus :D

These two bring me so much joy. Every morning when I come down to the kitchen to make them breakfast, the moment I turn the light on they both go crazy and Ham climbs onto the tree stump at the front of the run and watches me until I come out with a big bowl of tasty greens.

They're so friendly and sweet natured. The most rewarding thing has been seeing both of their personalities transform. When we got Ham he was friendly, but a nightmare to get in the carrier for the vets because he was so frightened of being picked up or cornerned. Fast forward a few months - last weekend when I was doing some DIY in the run he managed to escape about a metre down the garden - the adrenaline kicked in and I picked him up in one fell swoop - he barely flinched, and instead stared at me in recognition of my face and even let me cuddle him for a few minutes.

One time I was on ground level with him and he started to 'groom' my nose. It was actually kind of painful (his teeth are so sharp!) but I smiled and said 'Thanks Mister Hamo!'. I felt myself welling up, partly from the pain and partly because he licked my cheek and it was the cutest thing I have ever experienced.

Beatrice was similarly skittish when we took her into our care, but now she clearly enjoys being fussed and gets jealous if Ham gets 'too much attention', nuzzling under my hand to say 'My turn please!'. She also does a hilarious thing at breakfast where she's sooo excited to eat that she laps the bowl about 5 times before actually realising the food is already there and waiting for her!

Possibly the loveliest thing is seeing them living peacefully together. Ham was utterly lonely for years in his previous home, but now he gets to snuggle Beatrice all of the time and play with her. They're so in love, it's beautiful to witness.

In conclusion, I love love love my bunnies! <3

I can see what the fuss is all about ;) And am also glad that it has meant meeting such kind and like-minded people on RU :)

that's a beautiful post, which also made me giggle (Ham grooming ouchy style). They are wonderful creatures, I love my bunnies too

Bunny love has been such a blessing in my life these last 8 years. Your buns sound a couple of treasures.

Lovely :love: your post just highlights how much owners who leave their bunnies in a hutch at the bottom of the garden are missing out on! It’s great that you have such happy, well cared for bunnies :D

Being groomed like that sounds lovely (despite the pain).

My four are lovely to watch but LOATHE any kind of handling. Still love them though.

Aww, what a lovely post :love:

Bunnies are so special. I miss Bisc and Matt so much. They were the best thing that ever happened to me :love:

That's lovely Beapig. Im not a 'forum person' usually or rarely on social media, but I go on this one as no one else really understands the bunny love. There's something about them! X

Back