• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggresion in bunny.

edward

Young Bun
Since I've had my bunny which is nearly a year he's been sort of aggressive. He is neutered, I let him out of his cage for the day and lock him overnight.
It first started off when he attacked the mop when I was cleaning the floor, I know that sounds stupid but he hates that mop.
I didn't think much of this as he is quite territorial.
Whenever I would be petting his head, he enjoys it but as soon as he sees that I move my hand to his side, or close to his nose, he lunges and makes that grunting noise. Whenever I tap the ground he also lunges or bites.
He is a really cute bunny often jumping on my bed and cuddling and asking him to be pet.
I've read a bit and tried so far, making a high pitch sound when he lunges at me and also not flinching when he lunges at me.
Is there a way I could fix this aggression? What could be causing it?

Last edited:
Hi there,
How big is his cage?

As a prey species, rabbits are naturally wary of people touching their most vulnerable areas, such as their sides, chest, paws, etc. Him grunting and lunging is just his way of saying "Hey, I don't like that, stop!". Its also important to add that whilst rabbits can almost see 360˚ around them, they have a blindspot directly in front of their nose, so when you put your hand there, it surprises him.

As your bun enjoys head strokes, I would just keep doing that - in time he may come around to being stroked elsewhere.

With regards to the mop (not stupid at all, by the way!) , my bun Kirsty was the same with the dustpan and brush when I cleaned up too near to him. If you put yourself in your bun's shoes (or paws,as it were!) the motion and size of the mop is quite intimidating. Try mopping up when his occupied with food.

Personally, I'm not a fan of trying to deter buns from their behaviour (as after all it is only what comes natural to them), but instead adapting our behaviours around them to make them feel more secure. If he ever lets you pet him, or doesn't lunge, reward him with a ration of his daily food, or a healthy treat.

Hope this helps in some way? :)

His cage is 4 feet by 2 feet. I know that is a small cage but that was the largest one available at the pet shop. Soon I'm going to be moving him to my shed outside which is like 5 meters by 2 meters which should give him plenty space.
I'm aware of the blind spots and that rabbits don't like to be touched in certain spots, what I find odd is when I recreate this with my foot, he accepts it. I could be touching his stomach, his paws and he would not even move, so I don't know why he acts like that with hands.

I cant offer you advise but Dillon hates the dustpan and any brush whereas Cuthbert hates washing! he dives on it and digs it out of the basket grumping and snorting at it.

Back