• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay question

binkyCodie

Mama Doe
long story short, Luna has been very reluctant to touch our current hay bale from the farm, 2016's crop she loved, 2017's crop.. obviously not so much. I did worry about dental disease but this has all happened (and got worse) when the changes happened to welcome home Orion. I currently have pet remedy, and it has helped, but recently we've gone backwards. my vet agrees it is stress as her teeth are perfect, there isn't any reason for this to happen. her x-rays in November also caught her teeth and they were perfect.

I've offered her in desperation hay cookies (gone within an hour), mint hay a friend gave me and currently she has a toy with hay & forage stuffed inside. all of these things she has been happy to eat so I do think it is her not enjoying the current hay.

my boyfriend did bring up however, as we've gone through the bale, it is very spiky. often I pick it up and am left with splinters in my hands - could this be putting her off also? Orion has no issues and loves the stuff, often pulling it out to roll in it!! she however, seems a bit more picky.

where else can I also get hay from?

I used to order from hay&straw before I got the bales from the farm, but they just feel a bit pricey. I can't fit more than a 5kg bag in my room, and £14 for a 4.5kg bag that will last 2-4 weeks.. mmph.
timothyhay.co.uk sell too big bags for me to fit anywhere, and I don't want to mix the old hay with the new as Luna doesn't like it.

I do mix forage into her hay but she does seem to dig it out and just eat that, really showing her hate for it!!

long story short, Luna has been very reluctant to touch our current hay bale from the farm, 2016's crop she loved, 2017's crop.. obviously not so much. I did worry about dental disease but this has all happened (and got worse) when the changes happened to welcome home Orion. I currently have pet remedy, and it has helped, but recently we've gone backwards. my vet agrees it is stress as her teeth are perfect, there isn't any reason for this to happen. her x-rays in November also caught her teeth and they were perfect.

I've offered her in desperation hay cookies (gone within an hour), mint hay a friend gave me and currently she has a toy with hay & forage stuffed inside. all of these things she has been happy to eat so I do think it is her not enjoying the current hay.

my boyfriend did bring up however, as we've gone through the bale, it is very spiky. often I pick it up and am left with splinters in my hands - could this be putting her off also? Orion has no issues and loves the stuff, often pulling it out to roll in it!! she however, seems a bit more picky.

where else can I also get hay from?

I used to order from hay&straw before I got the bales from the farm, but they just feel a bit pricey. I can't fit more than a 5kg bag in my room, and £14 for a 4.5kg bag that will last 2-4 weeks.. mmph.
timothyhay.co.uk sell too big bags for me to fit anywhere, and I don't want to mix the old hay with the new as Luna doesn't like it.

I do mix forage into her hay but she does seem to dig it out and just eat that, really showing her hate for it!!

Probably not the best advice but does it have to live in your room? I buy from Timothyhay.co.uk 18kg at a time they send two 9kg bags and I put them in the garage and fill up a large pet storage container which can hold hay for a few days :) then I only have to take the box to the garage to fill up and it's not heavy :) may not work just an idea tho.

What did you think of hayandstraw? I just ordered some hay and straw [emoji38] from them hoping it's good quality :D x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Might be worth trying a different supplier locally for baled hay. The equestrian/livestock supplier I use buys in from a few different suppliers and one of them was very different to the usual hay.

Probably not the best advice but does it have to live in your room? I buy from Timothyhay.co.uk 18kg at a time they send two 9kg bags and I put them in the garage and fill up a large pet storage container which can hold hay for a few days :) then I only have to take the box to the garage to fill up and it's not heavy :) may not work just an idea tho.

What did you think of hayandstraw? I just ordered some hay and straw [emoji38] from them hoping it's good quality :D x

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

sadly, yes. the bale is outside in a plastic box, which broke in the high winds. I have another plastic box for supplies but also my mom uses it, its also broken!! I'm a bit weary as neither of them can seem to stand bad weather and £30 was paid for them. I have a plastic box with I use to bring some inside. once my current bale is finished I might be able to, but I'm not willing to put together the two hays :? my dad is also nuts saying it looks like a garbage dump, and soon the gypsies will be dumping things on our lawn.......... apparently that is the effect of two plastic boxes put neatly together.

the garage is so full you can't even see the floor at this point - it is most of my dads stuff as he is a hoarder. without going into more detail, there's no way that will ever change.

hay and straw was good, but I stopped using them as the quality went down hill imo. Snoopy would only eat timothy hay, and one year the hay was just brown and looked disgusting. he refused to eat it so I had to start looking else where. they were very good, as one there were mites in the hay (its untreated so it can happen) and they sent us another bag asap. generally, a very good service but the poor hay put me off, and Snoop was picky!!

Might be worth trying a different supplier locally for baled hay. The equestrian/livestock supplier I use buys in from a few different suppliers and one of them was very different to the usual hay.

I don't think I can manage another bale, we already have two broken £30 plastic boxes for rabbit supplies. I'm going to have to settle for a bag of some sort until this is used up in all honesty. which is a shame as its so expensive :(

Back