• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baxter day 3

3 days he's been here now and I can't believe how well he's doing. Litter training is pretty much done. Not one single poop on his fleece today and all his wee in the litter tray that I moved to the corner he had been weeing in. He had his first free roam of the living room this evening and he loved it. Even tried to get up on the sofa but he's a bit too small still.

He's slowly getting used to different veggies. He is still very uninterested in them but after a while he does have a nibble on them.

Today I rang around a few local vets and found one that will do his neuter which includes a health check before, pain relief after and also a check up 5 days later and they do lots of rabbit neuters. They advised me to wait till he is 4.5 - 5 months if he is not with a female so I will be booking him in in about 7 weeks time :)

I also weighed him today and he is 1527g. No idea if that's good or not!

I am so pleased the Vets have advised you wait until he is 4 - 5 months before having him neutered. Glad he is settling in well.

Things sound as though they are going well with the beautiful Baxter. Slow and steady is always the best way forward. Introducing new food is always best done gradually. Nature tells bunnies what's nice and what isn't and most buns have their favorite nibbles and food. I think most would agree that good quality hay is top of the list. Grated carrot will be a good way to introduce Baxter to the delights of carrot. Hiding bits of food in places is always good to develop bunnies sense of play - you're stimulating them to search for treats and food. Used cardboard tubes are a great way to make enrichment play food things. Plug the ends with a bit of hay and hide yummy nibbles, maybe a small bit of fruit or cranberries in the middle. He'll love it.
Great vet advice too - let him settle for a few months and please be prepared - it will probably be a nervy couple of days post op and Baxter will need all your love and support after the op. If you can, get him a snuggle toy - something he can associate with and spend time with as a comfort toy. Then when he has his op, he won't feel so isolated in the vets because he'll have a familiar smell and toy there with him. Hope this helps and looking forward to regular pics and updates on Baxter.

Things sound as though they are going well with the beautiful Baxter. Slow and steady is always the best way forward. Introducing new food is always best done gradually. Nature tells bunnies what's nice and what isn't and most buns have their favorite nibbles and food. I think most would agree that good quality hay is top of the list. Grated carrot will be a good way to introduce Baxter to the delights of carrot. Hiding bits of food in places is always good to develop bunnies sense of play - you're stimulating them to search for treats and food. Used cardboard tubes are a great way to make enrichment play food things. Plug the ends with a bit of hay and hide yummy nibbles, maybe a small bit of fruit or cranberries in the middle. He'll love it.
Great vet advice too - let him settle for a few months and please be prepared - it will probably be a nervy couple of days post op and Baxter will need all your love and support after the op. If you can, get him a snuggle toy - something he can associate with and spend time with as a comfort toy. Then when he has his op, he won't feel so isolated in the vets because he'll have a familiar smell and toy there with him. Hope this helps and looking forward to regular pics and updates on Baxter.

Thanks for the great advice. Today I have ordered some Timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk after reading many great reviews on here and the GP forum. The stuff I get from my local shop is ok but not great and I'm sure this new hay will be much nicer for him and my guinea pig.

He loves his loo roll tube stuffed with hay so I will add some nibbles to them and see what he thinks. He is improving everyday and there were no left overs of his breakfast veg this morning. Also, he was completely clean again overnight and all day yesterday so litter training is going really well.

I'm really nervous about getting him castrated but think it's for the best as I may then think about getting him a friend. The snuggle toy is a great idea. I'll find something suitable asap.

He's started having his crazy time every evening where he runs round and round doing really high binkies and hops. It's so funny to watch. I think he is happy here :)

Here a a few pics of him :D

39713160752_8031153766.jpg

39744534991_aea016bece.jpg

39035581534_28134799ef.jpg

38846394085_63c234636c.jpg

He just melts your heart doesn't he. :love: He's absolutely perfect and just so adorable. He's got life, curiosity and I'll bet a whole heap of personality. My little nethie - new bun Henry also has these mad binkie sessions when he's in the living room. He just absolutely belts round the living room, leaping and twisting. It's a wonderful sight for all rabbit lovers to see a bunny so happy and I must say Baxters pad - well, it's simply palacial. What a set up. And yes, having the castration is always a good idea. I know it's hard - because you're intentionally subjecting your love to some element of pain and discomfort and they just don't understand why. But you reduce the possibility of all sorts of issues, not least of which is cancer. He will also be much more ready to accept any future Mrs baxter - and I tell you what - he has the batchelor pad to be the envy of all wife-buns out there. Just wonderful.

Back