• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Totally Incorrect Vaccination Information Being Given by PAH

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For reasons I am not going into on here I had to visit a local branch of PAH this morning. Near the Rabbit section there is an audio system giving 'Advice' about the 'best care of Rabbits'. When it came to Vaccinations the advice was that 'a myxomatosis vaccination can be given from 6 weeks of age and a VHD vaccination from the age of 12 weeks'............

Now the Myxo-RHD SINGLE Vaccine has been on the market for years and of course there was absolutely no mention of RHD2 and the need for an additional Vaccination to cover for this. According to PAH there is still a single dose myxo vaccine, a single dose RHD1 vaccine and that's it.

I politely pointed this out to a member of staff who said she would inform her Manager. He was 'unavailable' at the time. I am trying to get in touch with HO too as if the Audio advice is the same in every store then every store is giving vaccination 'advice' that is years out of date.

If any of you visit a store and they have the (annoying) audio advice playing have a listen and see if it is talking poo too.

In my local I never listen to the audio stuff (busy with my own thoughts, usually how to get the best out of my vouchers), but IIRC the posters by the rabbits were correct, although did not give ages.

I’ve never even noticed any audio advice in any of the stores I’ve been in. Must pay attention next time incase I’ve just missed it!

There's an audio thing in my local one never watched the whole thing, but seen bad info as passing. Also seen a rabbit sneezing and with green snot and lots of other heartbreaking things, telling them seems to get me nowhere, hope you can make a change tho xx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I've not come across the audio info at P@H before, either - possibly because I don't hang out at the rabbit pens. At least the advice was for 2 vaccines for 2 different conditions, which makes people think about vaccinating their rabbits. Will look out for it next time I am in store and make appropriate comments to the staff. If more people mention it, they may take appropriate action.

pets at home is trying, I'll give them that, but not nearly enough or quick enough. they seem to be dead slow and stop, and I know they don't treat their staff to well in some stores. in my local one one lady quit due to bullying, another just due to how poorly run it is. most of the time she would be running the store with 10 or so members understaffed, she once had to stay until 10pm for an order that was late. once even she had to run the store on her own as the other person got called off to another store!!

and I know its a different franchise, but the own vets that they use for their animals isn't much better sometimes!! there is a TV screen above on mine giving out info, NO mention of RHD2 at all. the vaccination isn't mentioned anywhere or even listed in the pricing. nobody is even going to know about it in all honesty.

the companion care at mine was good, but clearly something is going on behind the scenes as no staff stick around. the two rabbit savvy vets they had left, almost every single one there is a locum, no proper staff so to speak. the only one who is proper staff is the owner who is.. questionable imho. he has no bedside manor and come across as uncaring.

I had to see him with Sherlock.. S had a wound with pus in his tail and he was sticking a very big needle in to remove that, of course the darn thing is going to cry, wriggle and try to jump into its owners arms. don't sigh in annoyance or give me a grumpy glare and tell me to control my animal, perhaps comfort the animal rather than ignoring the serious issue. last time when a nice lady saw him, gave him lots of reassurance and pets, he acted fine. but nope, roughly grab, roughly drop on table, roughly examine, don't talk, don't reassure, and when your down just almost throw it in the carrier :roll:

the receptionists are no better, I'm surprised people go there. multiple of them have left, I think last year from august onwards they had 10 receptionists filter through. they have no idea what they are talking about either. when myxi/rhd1 was in shortage, I needed rhd2. I got into a very long argument about how it is not the one out of stock, its a different vaccine. she refused to listen nor even ask out the back as I asked her too. when I required assistance with Luna's sore hocks, they simply told me to book a £40 appointment. last time I did that you told me to put sudocream on it and sent me away!!

it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I don't have an issue with them selling rabbits per say, but I have an issue with them not doing enough. the issue is the fact that they don't vaccinate, give out accurate info or even sex their animals properly half the time. they made a change as now you get a voucher for neutering, vaccinations (pretty sure its only myxi/rhd1 though) and a microchip.

blergh.

Back