• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where Do You Get Your Hay From?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I get a pack of 3 x 1kg Burgess Excel Marigold Hay from Amazon for £14 for 3 bags, plus Pillow Wad Meadow Hay (3 bags again which are 2.25kg each), once again usually around £14 for 3 bags on Amazon.

As I have Amazon Prime this is quick and convenient for me, but is it good value? My buns love both kinds and it lasts quite a long time for two rabbits :)

Just wondering where everyone else gets their hay?

I get Superhay from our local farm shop and Timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk. One very soft and the other very stalky. I mix them up (the Timothy always gets eaten first)

I mainly use Ings hay by the bale (9.5kg) from hay&straw.co.uk (£18 delivered) but also Readigrass (£13) & Timothy readigrass & Green oat grass from Friendly Estates (equibox.co.uk), Burgess excel long stem feeding hay (time for paws) & various Burgess hays (dandelion & marigold, chamomile, barn dried) from PetPlanet.

The bag of Ings I got this week is super green, super long, very very nice. It's the kind guinea pigs enjoy burrowing thorough :) Would recommend.

Mainly timothyhay.co.uk with smaller bags of readigrass, timothy readigrass, b&m dandelion & marigold and whatever else I pick up to mix in with it. I have about 3/4 of a bale of farm hay which my guys won’t eat and even my current foster won’t eat. That’s what I always got before I tried timothyhay.co.uk and now they are too fussy to go back to it :lol:

I ordered from Spenser from The Hay Experts. I'll still use them for forage but Bertie bunny is happy to devour cheap supermarket hay and Wilko's Timothy hay.

I buy Ings hay from https://www.hay-and-straw.co.uk/ . It's got a mix of different grasses in and it's a lot greener and fresh smelling than most hay. Right now I struggle to find room to store the 9kg bale, but once I move house I'll probably start buying farm bales and a 15kg readigrass bale and mixing the two together because I think it'll work out cheaper

Burgess hay is lovely, but also incredibly expensive for the size. It used to be the only hay I gave my two boys, but as they grew they started getting through 5 bags a week :shock: I think because that hay is so finely chopped it easily fell out of the hay rack and they just ended up sitting and weeing on a lot of it. With the Ings hay they don't waste anywhere near as much so 5kg of Ings lasts me twice as long as 5kg of burgess hay did

Last edited:
Ings from hay and straw for the guinea pigs and timothy hay from timothy hay for rabbits and guinea pigs.

Thank you everyone! I'm going to check out the websites/companies mentioned and see if they seem like a cheaper/longer lasting option :)

Timothyhay.co.uk for me, and Cookie gets some from the town I work in for a bit of variety (either Timothy if they have it or the Meadow if it looks ok) but anything other than TimothyHay.co.uk really sets Lola's bad tummy off so she is only ever on that one.

I didn't think to look on Amazon, I have a Prime trial for a few more days so will see what they have!

I am incredibly fortunate enough to work for a family pet wholesaler so I am extremely lucky enough to be able to get all my hay and bunny supplies direct from work. I usually buy Norfolk pastures and find it's perfectly good hay and my buns seem to like it.

I get a bale from Speedgate horse suppliers and use that for litter trays which I change every evening, and I get Timothy hay from timothyhay.co.uk and they have that in their hay rack every morning so they get fresh hay twice a day. The baled hay I get is quite nice and they eat quite a bit of that at nighttime, I can’t fill their hay rack up at night cos they make a right racket with it! Not helpful when they're in your bedroom.

Back